HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:44 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Mini-HowTo
seated 1/8 scale boat figures

After building my Chris craft Utility I wanted a figure in the driving seat.
Woodybob suggested using a 70's Mego figure
and kmot suggested cutting away a 1/8th band around around the waist to shorted the body.

I followed his great advice and made a few more alterations along the way.

The main problem with these dolls is that the bodies are too long and they lean back and stare into space (the frozen zombie look I call it)
What I did with my ebay Luke was make the cut around the waist, but only deep enough to remove material, as keeping the rubber bands intact helps keep his legs on.
(they also go a little floppy with the eased tension and that's good for repositioning when seated.)

I also cut a section out from his throat to bring the head angle down and removed a curved section on his lower back, so he sat back into the seat more ...and the same under his legs so his ass sat a little flatter on the seat.

My utility does not have much room between steering wheel and seat so I removed a section of upper leg so I could slide him into the seat easily.

All the cuts are hidden by clothing. In the pics you can hopefully see by sitting lower and leaning slightly forward with a straight ahead stare he looks a little more normal than poor old Blondie
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Last edited by RussellTate; Jul 13, 2010 at 02:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:33 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Very nice RT! Are you a graphic artist or a surgeon? Cool letterman's jacket too, did that come with the figure?
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:49 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Thanks woodybob, the Jacket came with a Mego toys reissue of The Fonz.
My Luke Duke original came naked so I robbed Fonzarelli's wardrobe.

Luke's head is great, it's a normal person and not to showy, the Fonz despite his retro jacket and clothes ...always looks like the Fonz!
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:54 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,672 Posts
Great surgery, Most people just stick figures in. Looks much, much better
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Close to scale figures for RC projects

Hey Guys,
Great thread! I recently got a tip from Crash (Hoghappy) on where to find the figures he put in his Classic Runabout, so I could add that touch of reality to mine. He told me about the Mattel WWE action figures at Wally World.
The one I used is the "Chris Jericho" action figure. I just got through making a practice sweater/T-shirt for the figure. Admittedly, it is pretty rough. Unfortunately, many of these action figures come with very few clothes on, a few do, and one or two come with suits. I found the best selection was at ToyRus.com. I ordered one more, a female to give this fellow a "hot lady" to cruise the water ways with. These figures sell for $8 to $15 for a double pack.

I used another brand of action figure for my Coast Guard MLB, which is fairly close to scale. They are from “The Corps Rival Face Off” series. I got mine at Wally World, but I have seen them at other retailers. They are very cheap at $3 for one and $6 for a double pack. To get these guys to fit correctly and have the look I wanted, required some hobby knife surgery, and some paint work.

I am also working on adapting a Tamiya Tire Changing Pit Crew into a Sailboat Race Crew for another of my RC Sailboats. These figures required painting and assembly, but were very cheap @ $8 to $9 from Tower Hobbies. There are a couple of figures in this set that are posed standing straight up, and will have to be shortened, as they would most likely be decapitated by the boom otherwise. Again, a different scale, but close and the price was right.

The final set up was for my Tamiya Yamaha Round the World. This was the easiest, but the most expensive. Tamiya made these crews to the exact scale of the boat, and they came fully painted and assembled. Tamiya discontinued their boats, and the accessories for them, back in 1998. To say they are rare would be an understatement.

What I really want to know is where to get some clothes for the WWE guys! I am definitely not a seamstressor or is that a "seamster"? Becoming one is not on my list of things to due. My wife is laughing at this whole scenario. Playing with dolls, eh gads !

Any leads on clothing for the WWE guys will be appreciated.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
Joined Dec 2005
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTate View Post
Thanks woodybob, the Jacket came with a Mego toys reissue of The Fonz.
My Luke Duke original came naked so I robbed Fonzarelli's wardrobe.

Luke's head is great, it's a normal person and not to showy, the Fonz despite his retro jacket and clothes ...always looks like the Fonz!
HHHHEEEEYYYYYYY........

Fonzie
The Fonz is offline Find More Posts by The Fonz
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:53 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Just goes to show you, if you have a nice boat, you can usually get a nice lady to take a ride.

The female action figure showed up today, so I thought post a picture of the happy couple.

I think these figures are pretty close to the right scale at 6'' to 7" tall for this boat (Classic Runabout 29" long) No surgery was required, but I will have to use a little Velcro to get the two figures to stay in place while the boat is underway, and to get them to stay in a nature seating position.

Not to bad for a $14 investment.
Boomer
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:34 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
RT, that 'plastic surgery' trick sure made a big difference, thanks for sharing.
I've used a few action figures to compliment my RC scale vehicle builds, but it's difficult to find the 'right one", there are a lot to choose from, but some are prohibitively expensive. I have altered some WWE figures and made my own heads from sculpey clay.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:46 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
That's great, Cayman... in many more ways than one!!! Great presentation
Love the shop.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:09 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Love the shop.
Yeah- you have some serious sculpting skills there, Cayman! You should consider producing some seated figures in 1/8th...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Yes great craftsman ship Cayman, love the props too.

I've been looking into boat figures a little more this week. I find what I want is a figure who is sympathetic to the boat but not stealing the show.
I think 8" Mego figures are a great start as you can fully customise the whole outfit as well as the body shape.
As well as Celebrity and Super hero figures they do have some that look slightly more anonymous like Starsky & Hutch and Dukes of Hazzard

These guys are great, the heads look good (especially dark hair) and the clothes are something you might wear on a boat.
To make the clothing even more nautical modern outfits are available from MegoStore like this Sweat top and sneakers so you can get the look just right for your boat!

Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:40 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Great lead for figure clothing

Russell,
Visited the MegoStore web site and found some items to finish off the two WWE figures in my Classic Runabout. Thank you!
Cayman,
Your workshop set is really great.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:46 AM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Love the shop.
Thank's I built the little shop as a backdrop for photo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Yeah- you have some serious sculpting skills there, Cayman! You should consider producing some seated figures in 1/8th...
Thank you, good idea, I'd better start saving for some casting materials.

[QUOTE=RussellTate;15638041]Yes great craftsman ship Cayman, love the props too.

I've been looking into boat figures a little more this week. I find what I want is a figure who is sympathetic to the boat but not stealing the show.
I think 8" Mego figures are a great start as you can fully customise the whole outfit as well as the body shape.
QUOTE]
Those mego figures are great, and accessories and outfits are usually hard to find, that makes a huge difference
There are serious collectors ect. who modify and fix all sorts of action figures, here is a link for a tutorial on mods and repairs, for those who might want to customize their crew. http://www.figurerealm.com/customtutorial.php
Here's another that I got some ideas from.
http://www.highlyflammabletoys.com/h...?page=tutorial

RT, thanks for all the details on how you got the figure to fit so well, and I apologize if I hijacked your thread a little.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:16 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
No drama's about hijacking the thread i'm all for sharing the knowledge Caymin!

Mego Museum have tips too!..
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Mego Museum, what a cool site. Thanks RT.
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob