SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:27 PM
Cincinnati
Joined May 2005
22 Posts
Question
Convert a U-control Nobler to electric?

In this, my first post in these forums, have a question for some of the experts here. Long story short: after taking the family to the Greater Cincinnati RC Club and watching some of the pilots there for a couple hours, I just couldn't resist getting back into building/flying, and decided to dust off an old Nobler kit. I have already decided to convert it to RC, and have done plenty of research (mostly here) for tips and tricks. I am not quite convinced that I should do one more conversion to this plane...glo to electric. I am concerned with weight/balance and cost. I don't want to totally throw off the flight characteristics beyond the ukie to RC conversion. I also don't want to spend more $ on motor, battery, ESC, charger, etc.; than I would otherwise spend on a glo motor and fuel tank. Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice?
mkscott2 is offline Find More Posts by mkscott2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:37 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,839 Posts
Keep you U-Control plane and buy a RTF kit, your going to crash and its going to be much easier to repair a foam plane then it is your U-control unless its foam also.

A good plane to start with would be HH Super Cub.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:39 AM
Cincinnati
Joined May 2005
22 Posts
Thank you for the advice freechip. While it's been some time since I last flew, I am willing to take the risk with this one. I still intend to build the Nobler as an RC, so I merely need to determine what power set-up to go with. I lean toward electric, but need some suggestions on a good set-up so that I can compare to the cost/hassle of a fuel set-up. BTW, started building last night...mostly got the wing punched out and made measurements for shortening the longer (port) side of the wing. I'll post pics once I figure out how...
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:37 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
IIRC -- Fox .35?

A set-up based on E-Flite's Power 32 or 46; look at simialr sized planes they offer for guidence too: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL4800 .

And HH's: http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/ind...d=129B2466AF4E .
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:26 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkscott2 View Post
In this, my first post in these forums, have a question for some of the experts here. Long story short: after taking the family to the Greater Cincinnati RC Club and watching some of the pilots there for a couple hours, I just couldn't resist getting back into building/flying, and decided to dust off an old Nobler kit. I have already decided to convert it to RC, and have done plenty of research (mostly here) for tips and tricks. I am not quite convinced that I should do one more conversion to this plane...glo to electric. I am concerned with weight/balance and cost. I don't want to totally throw off the flight characteristics beyond the ukie to RC conversion. I also don't want to spend more $ on motor, battery, ESC, charger, etc.; than I would otherwise spend on a glo motor and fuel tank. Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice?
You don't say how familiar you are with RC models and flying, but if you want to get your hand back in for both building and flying, do some research on Sig's Kadet range - especially the Seniorita, as the motor and so on looks to come closest to your aim of an RC Nobler. Unfortunately, you will spend more on electrics initially, though your fuel - a battery or two - will last you a lot longer than a gallon or two of glow fuel.

Have a feeling the Nobler concept got off the end of the usual wires, but you'd have to ask a local who's been aeromodelling in the US for some time - I'm a relative newcomer. Doubtful if someone who's into RC buying vice aeromodelling knows what a Nobler is

Advice at the usual internet rate - keep your Nobler kit intact for now. Start with a real RC trainer kit of decent size, learn to either fly or get back up to speed at your local club with an instructor who can spell 'RC' and some more. As you have a CL background, you might want to check up on Brodak manufacturing - www.brodak.com - who know about CL and are moving into electric CL. That would be a better 'fate' for a CL Nobler from a kit than wandering around line-less under RC

Hope that helps

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:08 PM
Cincinnati
Joined May 2005
22 Posts
I guess my first post did not introduce much background on myself. I actually had the Nobler still in the box because I was flying more RC than CL several years ago. Since life happened with school-carrer-wife-kids-etc., I have limited myself to mostly to small choppers. I am quite familiar with flying (and crashing) RC...just haven't done it in a few years. In the mean-time the technology of electric has changed enough that I am considering this as an option for the Nobbler, but need advice for the best set-up. I have found info from those that have done the RC conversion, but nothing significant for the electric conversion I am interested in.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:46 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The was, and still is a great design from the golden age of C/L. the is a few thread about electric conversions:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007707
Top flite used to have a r/c version of it in the 70's, I think you can still get the plan for it:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/top/rc14-nobler-manual.pdf
With today's computer radios it would be a lot easier to build:
http://www.top-flite.com/parts/discontinued.html
and for the ARF:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878217
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
Convert a U-control Nobler to electric?

I guess that would be an EXTREMELY stand-off scale Corsair.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:56 AM
Cincinnati
Joined May 2005
22 Posts
Um, I guess it could be viewed as an stand-off scale Corsair...without the hinged wings?

Got both halves of the wing built last night. I chose to build them separately so that I could compare to two for equality, since the U-control version has a longer inboard wing. I'll post images tonight.

I start in on the tail feathers tonight, but first have to decide how I want to modify things- mobilize the rudder and give it clearance to move by modifying the elevator.

Still have not decided on an electric setup...or if I want to take that route for sure. I appreciated the suggestions so far, but am still hoping for some more suggestions for a good budget-friendly electric setup.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:04 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Keeping with the Navy theme; you might find some useful inof here too: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4585 .
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:25 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,941 Posts
-The Nobler is a typical ukie stunt model with a very short tail moment. This will make an R/C version that is very pitch sensitive but otherwise flyable similar to a lot of 3D-type R/C designs. It might be advisable to lengthen the rear fuselage to tame the pitch sensitivity. 40 sized electric powered models have become quite cost effective but buying the necessary power supply, lipoly balance charger, 3 high capacity Lipoly battery packs, motor, speed control, switching type BEC, and RC system will add up to a large initial investment. If you already have a suitable glow engine and glow engine support equipment, sticking with glow power will save you a lot of money. Seems I read about a previous Nobler RC conversion in a model magazine.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:47 AM
Cincinnati
Joined May 2005
22 Posts
Good points on both fronts E-Challenged.

1. I was looking at how I might alter the rudder and rear of the fuse last night, and did not take the proportionally short distance into account. I think I will take your suggestion, and "lengthen" that distance by scooting the tail feathers back about 2". This will also allow for the rudder movement I need without modifying the structure of the fuselage.

2. Cost of electric: as I try to do my own research into a good electric set-up for this plane, I am finding that it may be worth-while to stick with fuel. I'm not completely set on that yet though, so please feel free to give suggestions on a good set-up. Chances are, there are options I have not considered in my own research, simply because I don't know what questons to ask.

still have to post pics of the progress...
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:33 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Did you look at the motor & esc shown in my link above that is in my SNJ?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:26 PM
Telford Pa
Joined Aug 2002
278 Posts
[QUOTE=mkscott2;15530679]Um, I guess it could be viewed as an stand-off scale Corsair...without the hinged wings?

QUOTE]

I was under the impression that GMA designed it as a semi scale Caudron. That's the story I remember......

Mike
Mike Palko is offline Find More Posts by Mike Palko
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:56 PM
Cincinnati
Joined May 2005
22 Posts
jrb-

I did take a look at the link you posted, but was completely distracted by the pictures of that plane- it's beautiful! Anyway, I clicked on it again to look at your motor/esc combo, and it seems quite reasonable.

Questions: what's the wingspan on that plane? Battery and prop? How does it fly with that combo?

Sorry I initally breezed past your motor/esc combo...but like I said, I was distracted by the pics of the plane!