HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:55 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Contest
1S micro speed contest!

After reading about some ideas bouncing around I thought I would start this thread out to start laying out the ground rules for a 1s speed contest.
Obviously every contest needs some rules, I will edit this post to keep the rules we adopt up front and easily locatable.
Conversions to brushless are likely going to be a given, though in these classes a brushed motor might stand a chance..

Here are the classes and rules set forth so far.

Class #1a: Unlimited scratch built, 1S powered. Wingspan & weight unrestricted, a fuselage is required.

--- Class #1b: Unlimited scratch built 1S powered. Wingspan & weight unrestricted, anything goes (Delta Wings)

Class #2: RTF & BNF (IE: Parkzone Sukhoi/p-51 or Flyzone Playmate etc.) Modified airframes, BL conversion allowed, 1S powered.

Video of the plane in flight will be required for 3 reasons:
#1: Verification that it is the correct plane flying the bi-directional passes.
#2: Verification it is level flight, from start to finish without a lead-in dive for a speed bonus.
#3: For a .wav file dump to doppler the passes and produce a speed reading.

2 good bidirectional passes on video will be required to get an average speed and this eliminates wind assistance.

Budget is currently unlimited, though there will also be a "Bang for the buck" deal to see who can get the highest speed per dollar spent.

Deadline for entries: None at this time.

Class #1a Results to date:
#1:
#2:

Class #1b Results to date:
#1: RobZulu Flying Wing- 92.66 kmh / 57.57 mph Video Doppler Cost: $125.00, $2.19 per mph
#2: Slider2732 Flying Wing- 46.95 kmh / 29.17 mph Video post Doppler post Picture

Class #2 Results to date:
#1: Darksiede Lightly modified PZ Sukhoi Su-26XP- 62.89 kmh / 39.07mph Video & Doppler post Cost: $106.99, $2.73 per mph
#2:
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Last edited by darksiede; Jul 19, 2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Entry updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:04 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Nice post Kev, something that's been discussed in passing (quickly and low) a few times recently.
Would you think weight classes would apply and then brushed and unbrushed ? or would all of that start to complicate the heck out of things ?

I can just see a flying wing, with 5g brushless on a 240mAh lipo winning Class 1. Or am I thinking blinkered
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:15 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Well, yeh I thought about that, then realized class 1 might not go to a wing, after all that big blue foam speed contest went to what was basically an X-plane design with a bullet fuse, tiny wings and a prop.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...peed+challenge

Weight is open, with this little thrust and flat runs that get dopplere'd & video'd We take the weight out mostly by eliminating gravity. I think lighter is going to be better honestly.

I don't see a need to break brushed & BL apart because honestly we are talking 1S here, and not much thrust either way. The stock mustang & sukhoi XP can cook along fairly decently, with a few mods to clean up to airframe and maybe re-propping I could see them being competitive with a 5g brushless in the same airframe.

~Kev
Last edited by darksiede; Jul 07, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:54 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
For those who are really into the contest, the Hyperion 70mah could be a great battery. It has the lowest weight and greatest punch of all the micro batteries out there.

Hyperion 1S 70mAh
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jul 07, 2010, 06:57 PM
Parkzone connectors here!!
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
hm now what to make! i like the sounds of something like this!
olmstead25 is offline Find More Posts by olmstead25
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:02 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmstead25 View Post
hm now what to make! i like the sounds of something like this!
Bill Lowe's 13.5" wing, of course! HK 2g BL or AP03 for this one maybe?

Very light + very powerful = very fast!

Bill Lowe's 13.5" wing (3 min 27 sec)

-PC49
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:13 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Yeh, I've seen in other contests that they require a fuselage in order to stay away from the speedwing syndrome, It may be something to consider as well, or split off into its own group?

I've not seen any other posts about micro powered speed contests, so regardless of what we do here, we're the first lol.

~Kev
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:15 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
"I want you to know that will be on here"..."I know" lol

The bullet shaped creation was an eye opener. I hadn't seen that thread in a while. Wow !

We do have the likes of micro_builder's Stryker doing nearly 70mph (EDIT, sorry that was 3S). It's something this competition and sure to be lots of fun.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:39 PM
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
HA! you read my mind piper! how would you ever know!
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:57 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmstead25 View Post
HA! you read my mind piper! how would you ever know!
Let's just say that I like to keep up with your voyages.

Seriously though, I think that that would be a pretty nice setup. Do you really plan on doing something similar, or is TOP SECRET?
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:09 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider2732 View Post
"I want you to know that will be on here"..."I know" lol

The bullet shaped creation was an eye opener. I hadn't seen that thread in a while. Wow !

We do have the likes of micro_builder's Stryker doing nearly 70mph (EDIT, sorry that was 3S). It's something this competition and sure to be lots of fun.
granted, his stryker is running on 3 cells not 1

if my little ultra micro stick is pushing 25, i think with a better airframe, that gear could go over 35. maybe up the prop to a 3*3 without the wobbly adapter.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:43 PM
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
something similar i would imagine. i will have to see were my mind takes me!! hopefully i will have the time to partake in such an AWSOME contest! haha probubly about the best contest i have seen on here!

one thing is for sure we need to set the rules out so i can start building.
Last edited by olmstead25; Jul 07, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:37 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
OK, I see this next bit as quite important...speed measurement.
Being almost completely fresh to this sort of thing, I did some reading and found Waveoscope: http://www.sprut.de/electronic/soft/scope.htm
It's a German program, but appears to be quite easy to work with for us English speakers.
As I understand things - Load a .wav of your speed run and select a middle section which has clear vertical elements denoting start and finish of the pass. Mark the start (left mouse click) and end (right mouse click), it then shows you your speed in kph.
Use Google for a quick mph conversion, if wished.

Can I ask if i've done this right ? I used a section of vid from my Bionic Stryker videoing, where the plane runs through the camera shot and is not panned to follow it.
Seems to be around 42kph or 26mph.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:57 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Good point, and one of the the reasons I mentioned about having a good video above.

I haven't messed with waveoscope, but seen many readouts on here from it, and the only thing I see wrong with yours is the right line appears to be before the true peak of the wave. Maybe slide it right a hair more and have less overlap on the peak then it currently shows. That should bring your speed up a hair, but otherwise looks about right for what the plane should be capable of.

~Kev

Top post edited to reflect changes.
Last edited by darksiede; Jul 07, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:00 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Thanks Kev. I had it a hair to the right and it gave another 2kph...but I wished to err on the side of low. Interestingly, you can pick quite a few different spots on these graphs and the speed only changes by say 6kph throughout...it's all very intriguing !

Oh, while i'm here. I remember in the dark and dusty times a while back, that ITC gear was incredible on tiny planes. Had a Mosquito of about 6" span that would shoot off at some ridiculous speeds. I was thinking MSL gear with a big 350mAh lipo, but now am thinking higher wing loading. Watch it turn out like that bullet winner on the other section lol
Last edited by Slider2732; Jul 07, 2010 at 10:06 PM.