HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2001, 12:31 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
Can I bring my RC plane & radio equipment on board a commerical airliner????

Hi Everyone

Have anyone been successful in bringing their RC planes and equipment on board? In light of the events over the past two weeks, I would think that it would be quite difficult or impossible to bring these on board. I want to bring my planes from home to my college apartment but I'm afraid that the transmitter would totally not get through.
Thanks

Al
atsiang is offline Find More Posts by atsiang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2001, 12:40 AM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
After The WTC I don't think it would be a good idea. You may be better off with UPS
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Oct 01, 2001, 01:15 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,800 Posts
I carried on 2 planes and the TX back a few months ago and it blew me away! Batteries, charger, TX all in carry on and they didn't even open the boxes.

Try packing the batteries and TX in your check on, and carry on just the plane.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Mar 24, 2005, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2004
329 Posts
You can carry on any RC Airplane or transmitter on an airliner.........But like most other electronic equipment, you must have it turned OFF, would be best to remove the battery........Fuel is a huge NO NO. Try to carry on FUEL and you will be arrested.

Best to pack your transmitter in your suitcase, with battery removed.
just_steve51 is offline Find More Posts by just_steve51
Old Mar 25, 2005, 02:02 PM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,799 Posts
Weight up the risks

If as you go to get onboard and some official decides to stop you and you miss the flight and need to repurchase a new ticket is that more than the cost of UPS

Some airlines are getting very sticky and some want to encourage non baggage costomers so as to carry more passengers

If a plane is 110% passsengers that arrive for check in the risk of getting bumped is very high as they scramble to find anuy reason to bump the extra 10% to other flight or deny the service

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:41 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
755 Posts
Fwiw

I flew Delta in mid Feb. from Montana to Mississippi and they said my TX had to be checked but I could carry on my charger...go figure

steve
cloudhopper is offline Find More Posts by cloudhopper
Old Mar 25, 2005, 04:24 PM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,404 Posts
Is there some contest going on for resurrecting old threads?
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old Mar 25, 2005, 06:03 PM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,799 Posts
didnt see age of thread

I was wondering what happened afew weeks ago
thought maybe new incident

yes several threads from the distant past seemed to have bubbled up

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog
Old Mar 25, 2005, 07:10 PM
Arlington, VA
Joined Mar 2004
308 Posts
I flew out west last summer- I had TX, RX, brushless motor+ gearbox+ GWS props+ ESC, charger, 4 nimh packs, and a digital camera in a silver electronics suitcase, made 3 seperate flights, NO real security problems. Only in San Diego did they even have to open it, one of the screeners said the battery plugs looked like "igniters", but they let it pass fine.

The plane and tools were checked in another suitcase, I was also carrying on a laptop computer.

It will be fine as long as there is no fuel.
2bent is offline Find More Posts by 2bent
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:05 PM
Flying for Fun
Bradenton, FL
Joined Dec 2001
126 Posts
I just flew with a Mini IFO, Transmitter, NiMH packs, power supply & charger, and assorted tools in my checked baggage in the last couple of weeks. TSA checked my bag on the trip out (They put a notice in my bag), but apparently didn't have a problem with anything that they found. All of the gear that I brought was stuff that I normally don't use a whole lot, so I figured that if they lost my bag it wouldn't be a great lose.
Jimbo is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo; Mar 27, 2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:30 AM
Joined May 2004
371 Posts
....just call the airline you will be traveling on and ask them. If they say it's okay, ask them to put in writing and mail/fax it to you. This way if they refuse the items at the gate, you can at least hold them to your letter and be reimbursed for the ticket etc. I'd imagine if you can carry on a laptop...you should be able to carry on RC equipment.

On a side note, however, I don't think you'll be able to carry on lighters come April '05.

Nick
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
Old Mar 27, 2005, 06:08 AM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Hatboro Pa.
Joined Feb 2005
860 Posts
Okay I would like to jump in here. How about a 4s4p Lipo battery pack. I just sold my heli to a guy in Korea and frankly I am a little worred about shipping a lipo pack in a crago hold of any plane. Will pressure have an effect on it? I dont want it bursting into flames. Not to mention them darn things just look like some sort of bomb. If they x-ray the box sure they will see the heli but what will they do when they see the battery that is like a C-4 look alike?
Any help would be great. I have to ship it tomorrow.
Dave
Yellowspider is offline Find More Posts by Yellowspider
Last edited by Yellowspider; Mar 27, 2005 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 27, 2005, 06:18 AM
Karim:Student/Model Flyer
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Nasr City
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
I have two planes in my holiday house in Egypt and i leave my planes there and carry my equiptment in my checked in baggage and i once checked a protech ARTF (big box) as extra baggage no problem (surpisingly, im 16 and they cant be bothered mess around with a 'kid')
Flying Scotsman is offline Find More Posts by Flying Scotsman
Old Mar 27, 2005, 06:36 AM
Karim:Student/Model Flyer
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Nasr City
Joined Sep 2004
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowspider
Okay I would like to jump in here. How about a 4s4p Lipo battery pack. I just sold my heli to a guy in Korea and frankly I am a little worred about shipping a lipo pack in a crago hold of any plane. Will pressure have an effect on it? I dont want it bursting into flames. Not to mention them darn things just look like some sort of bomb. If they x-ray the box sure they will see the heli but what will they do when they see the battery that is like a C-4 look alike?
Any help would be great. I have to ship it tomorrow.
Dave
i took some lipos across this holiday with no problem a 3s1p pack
Flying Scotsman is offline Find More Posts by Flying Scotsman
Old Mar 27, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Actually they sell those Airhogs RC mini planes in the departure launges in Philladelphia and Newark International airports. For that matter small quantities of CA is also often sold in departure launges. And in I believe LiPo's whether in anything like a notebook or video camera, or transported separately, nowadays must be transported in hand luggage, may not be sent anymore as airfreight.

I also couldn't see what damage you could theoretically do with a small model plane that you couldn't do with your cellphone. Of course that's no guarantee to strange reactions from security. After all they do through away little nail files from 90+ year old ladies who can harldly be considered capable of ever reaching the cockpit from economy.

I could imagine that they may be a bit twitchy about the combination of one of the megasized models and certain destinations (e.g. Washington D.C.).

By the way, I wouldn't ask the airline before hand. That allows them to give you a negative answer because they actually don't know (have never thought about it) and its easier. Simply showing up with a bag which falls well within handluggage or luggage limits, increases your chance that there will not be a problem. If they make a problem at that time, they're also creating one for themselves: if they don't allow you to lug the thing along, they'll have to figure out how to get it to your destination.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.