HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

RTL Fasteners - Master Builder Assortment Review

In this review we'll take a look at RTL Fasteners' Master Builder Assortment, a kit containing 2,124 pieces of hobby-appropriate hardware. We'll also look at their Miniature Wood Screw Assortment, and their new Bonded Washers (both available separately).

Splash

Introduction

Retail Price:$159.95
Number of cases:4
Hardware included:2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, #0, #2, #4, #6, #8
Accessories included:Telescoping magnetic pick-up tool, 4 adjustable organizers w/ 18 compartments each.
Available from:RTL Fasteners, 1-800-239-6010

It's a sad fact that most modelers' "bolt bins" consist of a small container with various nuts, screws, and washers from recently re-kitted aircraft. I'll be the first to say that I amassed a hefty supply of bolts over the years; I was proud of my collection and if you gave me 10 minutes, I could probably find the correct screw for the job, or at least get close. But after discovering the RTL Fasteners' Master Builder Assortment, I've already put those long fastener-hunting safaris behind me.

In this review we'll take a look at RTL Fasteners' Master Builder Assortment, a kit containing 2,124 pieces of hobby-appropriate hardware. We'll also look at their Miniature Wood Screw Assortment, and their new Bonded Washers (both available separately).

Overview

RTL Fasteners has included in the Master Builder Assortment a sampling of the most common types of fasteners used in the radio controlled hobby. Whether you're a fixed wing afficionado or you prefer the company of hovering aircraft, this kit won't discriminate. Even the surface crowd (vehicles and boats) will benefit from the diverse assortment of nuts, bolts, and screws found within.

The assortment comes unassembled, with all fasteners individually packaged and labeled by type. The easiest way to assemble the kit is to cut out the included diagrams and tape them to the inside of the plastic cases, then fill the compartments accordingly; we'll cover that in the assembly section below. Lets take a look at everything that's included.

2-56 Hardware

The 2-56 hardware collection includes 308 total pieces. This hardware is grouped with #0 and #2 hardware (shown below) in the organizer. The 2-56 hardware includes:

2-56x1/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
2-56x3/8" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
2-56x1/2" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
2-56x3/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
2-56x1" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
2-56 Hex nuts 100pcs
2-56 Nylon lock nuts 100pcs

4-40 Hardware

The 4-40 hardware collection includes 356 total pieces. This hardware is grouped with the #4 hardware (shown below) in the organizer. The 4-40 hardware includes:

4-40x1/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
4-40x3/8" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
4-40x1/2" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
4-40x5/8" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
4-40x3/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
4-40x1" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
4-40x1-1/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
4-40x1-1/2" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
4-40 Hex nuts 100pcs
4-40 Nylon lock nuts 100pcs
4-40 Blind nuts 12pcs

6-32 Hardware

The 6-32 hardware collection includes 332 total pieces. This hardware is grouped with the #6 hardware (shown below) in the organizer. The 6-32 hardware includes:

6-32x1/2" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
6-32x5/8" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
6-32x3/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 24pcs
6-32x1-1/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
6-32x1-1/2" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
6-32x3/4" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
6-32 Hex nuts 100pcs
6-32 Nylon lock nuts 100pcs
6-32 Blind nuts 12pcs

8-32 Hardware

The 8-32 hardware collection includes 160 total pieces. This hardware is grouped with the #8 hardware (shown below) in the organizer. The 8-32 hardware includes:

8-32x3/4"" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
8-32x1" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
8-32x1-14" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
8-32x1-1/2" Socket Head Cap Screws 12pcs
8-32 Hex nuts 50pcs
8-32 Nylon lock nuts 50pcs
8-32 Blind nuts 12pcs

#0 Hardware

The #0 hardware is located in the 2-56 organizer, and contains:

#0 Flat washers 50pcs
0x1/4" Miniature brass pan head Phillips wood screws 50pcs

#2 Hardware

The #2 hardware is located in the 2-56 organizer, and contains:

2 x7/16" Servo mounting screws 24pcs
2x9/16" Servo mounting screws 24pcs
2x2/8" Button head socket drive sheet metal screws 24pcs
2x1/2" Button head socket drive sheet metal screws 24pcs
2 Flat washers 100pcs
2 Lock washers 100pcs

#4 Hardware

The #4 hardware is located in the 2-56 organizer, and contains:

4x1/2" Button head socket drive sheet metal screws 24pcs
4 Flat washers 100pcs
4 Lock washers 100pcs

#6 Hardware

The #6 hardware is located in the 6-32 organizer, and contains:

6 Flat washers 100pcs
6 Lock washers 100pcs

#8 Hardware

The #8 hardware is located in the 8-32 organizer, and contains:

8 Flat washers 100pcs
8 Lock washers 100pcs

Miniature Wood Screw Assortment - Available Separately -

Retail Price:$36.75
Number of cases:1
Hardware included:0x1/4", 0x3/8", 1x1/4", 1x3/8", 1x1/2", 2x3/8", 2x1/2"
Accessories included:adjustable organizer w/ 18 compartments
Manufacturer:RTL Fasteners

Available separately from the Master Builder Assortment, the Miniature Wood Screw Assortment contains 350 brass pan Phillips wood screws and an organizer. This assortment has all the hard to find small screws you'll need for almost any job. The Miniature Wood Screw Assortment consists of:

0x1/4" 50pcs
0x3/8' 50pcs
1x1/4" 50pcs
1x3/8" 50pcs
1x1/2" 50pcs
2x3/8" 50pcs
2x1/2" 50pcs

Bonded Washers - Available Separately

The bonded washers feature a steel washer with a neoprene rubber backing. These little guys provide some vibration dampening and are great for engine mounts and plastic or fiberglass canopies. They also act as lock washers, preventing screws from vibrating out. The come in #4, #6, #8, and #10 sizes.

Assembling the Master Builder Assortment

The assortment is easy to put together, but does take some time; there's alot of hardware to sort through. Start by cutting out each one of the four printed diagrams and taping them to the inside lid of each container. Next, cut apart the plastic dividers that make up the separate compartments. Place the dividers according to the diagrams and fill each compartment with it's respective hardware. If you fill the compartment with the wrong hardware (it can happen after 30 minutes of reading labels and looking for bags) then just use the included magnetic pick-up tool to remove it... assuming it's not aluminum or brass.

Conclusion

The Master Builder Assortment is a must have for any modeler. Whether you're into cars, boats, helis, or airplanes, this diverse assortment of fasteners will keep you out of the hardware store and on the field where you belong. Speaking of the field, the locking cases are perfect for bringing along with you, without worrying about spilling anything.

If you're on the fence about spending money on boxes of nuts and bolts, just think about all the time you've spent sifting through your collection of hardware only to not find what you needed. Or the times you've used the wrong size and "made it fit." Do yourself and your model a favor; make the investment in a quality hardware collection that will last for years.

Pluses

• The kit contains a great collection of commonly used hardware in our hobby.
  • Locking containers wont spill, especially when out in the field.

Minuses

• Not enough blind nuts included when compared to the other hardware quantities; I would like to see more thrown in.
Last edited by Angela H; Feb 06, 2012 at 08:26 AM..

Discussion

Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:26 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,422 Posts
I could see these finding a home in my trailer! There always seems to be someone looking for some hardware whenever I'm out at the field.
CSpaced is online now Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:56 PM
KK4TYF /Baron Von Nick
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,842 Posts
I need to get one of these! sounds perfect!
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:10 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
778 Posts
Thanks for the review! Question. Whats your view on the value???
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:30 AM
RCGroups FPV channel Editor
United States, OH, North Royalton
Joined Jul 2009
4,629 Posts
Value is subjective. I personally think its worth it to have almost every fastener you would need for building or repairs, labeled and easily accessible, that will last you for years (assuming you arent running an aircraft building service).

Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Losi TEN Rally-X in the snow
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:08 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
640 Posts
Nice review. Pricey though.

A great alternative is Trimcraft Aviation RC. They have stainless steel fasteners in metric and standard SAE sizes. Lots of other things too. The quality of the fasteners is amazing for the price. For example, twenty-five (25) 4-40 x 3/4" stainless steel socket head are only 50 cents! Their shipping is only $2.99 in the USA for any size order.

Check them out. I have purchased just about every socket head (my favorite) fastener they have. I now have a fantastic variety of hard-to-find 2mm and 2-56 sizes, as well as all the larger sizes, washers, blind-nuts, wow. It is terrific to have almost every size on hand. I am not affiliated with Trimcraft, I am just a very satisfied customer, and I wanted to pass on this info to others in the hobby.

Service is fast, and Gino is very helpful and responds to emails quickly.

Check it out!

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,352 Posts
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
DLGFPVBAJAOCD
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
3,588 Posts
So I saw this item at the hobby shop, bigger than a brick and must have weighed ten pounds! The price gave me a little sticker shock at first, but after seeing how much is included in the kit I think it is worth it for the avid RC builder. If you consider how many tiny 2 buck packages it would take to comprise what is in the box it is actually a good deal. You'll probably become a popular guy at the field too when someone needs a piece
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
So I saw this item at the hobby shop, bigger than a brick and must have weighed ten pounds! The price gave me a little sticker shock at first, but after seeing how much is included in the kit I think it is worth it for the avid RC builder. If you consider how many tiny 2 buck packages it would take to comprise what is in the box it is actually a good deal. You'll probably become a popular guy at the field too when someone needs a piece
Now thats good thinking... helping out the guys at the field... the price (for me) has been justified...
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
525 Posts
I order from RTL as I need them. About 50% of the master builder assortment is too short, etc.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
I bought this assortment last year and it's worked out well so far. Could use some more Phillips head screws,but the hex drive is really better as you get no cam outs.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2005
195 Posts
Thanks for the review, I just purchased a ton of hardware, They have a 35% sale going on now. The master set was $104 dollars. Im good with that.
electricboy is offline Find More Posts by electricboy
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricboy View Post
Thanks for the review, I just purchased a ton of hardware, They have a 35% sale going on now. The master set was $104 dollars. Im good with that.
Just placed my order too, also got the SAE & Metric Pro-Hold driver sets.

Thanks for the heads up!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:20 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,764 Posts
Years ago, When the babies were babies, I started washing out the little jars and keeping hardware in them.
And then I found a 3 drawer, metal box... each drawer held 24 jars!

As I build a model, or touch up finished models (changing servos, or power systems), all the unused hardware or left overs go into a small margarine tub. Every now and then, I spend 20 minutes sorting out the bits and putting them into their proper jars.

When I notice I am running low on an item, I take the time to check all the jars, put together a list, and order what I need.

The items in my collection very much parallel what the "set" has.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,775 Posts
never thought I would read an entire review on hardware LOL. This sure would make my life easier; I tend to have 3-4 projects going on at a time and there are always bits of hardware that halt my progress to go to the LHS...very nice.

I particularly like those rubber backed washers; perfect for cowls.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?