HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:31 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
Well I managed to get back to do a bit of building.
Started the roof of the pilot house and made the rudders Friday night and installed the rudder linkages on Saturday morning. Now I have to make the kort nozzles and install them, also a second coat of polyester on the hull.
By using the mixes on the radio I will be able to move all the rudders at once or just the forward or just the rear.
The forward rudders are 40mm long and the rear rudders are 45mm long all are 65mm high. Just 0.062 styrene and a 5/32 brass rod with tabs soldered to it. They are filled with Plasticine resin.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Last edited by GILL RC; Jul 20, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:30 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,373 Posts
Hee hee, think you have enough rudders on that thing? (I know, I know, they're flanking rudders...)

Nice job!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:42 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
It should be a fun boat to operate. With twin throttles and 6 rudders. I figure that I can turn and ask how much change you would like.
But that is where the mixing on the radio comes in.
Channels
1. rear rudders (right stick, left right)
2. starboard engine (right stick, up/down)
3. port engine (left stick, up/down)
4 Flanking rudders (left stick, left right)
SO
Throttles:
mix1- ch3 to ch2. give 1 stick control of both engines, mix off seperate control
Rudders:
mix2- ch1 to ch4. flanking goes oposite of rear rudders. mix off seperate
mix3- ch1 to ch4. flanking goes the same as rear rudders. mix off seperate
By the way I have 5 program mixes and 2 split mixes in the radio.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:49 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
Well I manamged to get about an hoours work in last night. Started labling and servo plugs and added the diodes to the 2 servos. I also started to set up the voltage regulator (drops 14.4 to 1 volt) for the radar and windshield wiper.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Nice pics, towboatjoe! interesting barge- is it essentially an earth mover?
No kidding...an underwater bulldozer...LOL Seems like they could pin a spud barge and run the tug motors and flatten the underwater hills in about the same time.

Sorry Gill...looks very nice. Good execution of the plan. I have a tug with a similar amount and it runs off a single stick with a twisty top knob. Fwd/Rev = up/dwn, Strb/Port = left right, Any motor in reverse engages the flanking rudders, twisty knob = motor diferential (think tank style). All the controls ends up giving a very smooth operation. Of course you do need some practice time in to get it right.
Boatfox is offline Find More Posts by Boatfox
Last edited by Boatfox; Jul 22, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
Thanks. That truck looks good. I would have too r/c it. And I would have to remake the ramp I use for my Amphicar (too stepe). Or build a crane to put hte tug in the water. Then again the guys in the club would just say I'm getting to lazy to put the boat in the water. They say that about the Amphi. I just take it off the table set it on the ground and drive it to the water. I don't have too get out of my chair.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:30 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
I tred the radio last night and set the mixes. There are some wild rudder cominations. But all went smoothly. I hope to do a test run this Sunday at the all club regatta in South Orange. I won't have the Kort nozzels but it sould give me an idea as to the handling.
Last edited by GILL RC; Jul 23, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,824 Posts
I think the rudders look confuzzled..
Maybe it's just me...

Looking good Gill.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:45 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
I think the rudders look confuzzled..
Maybe it's just me...
I'm thinking that it'll take a bit of practice to learn how to use all those rudders to best advantage---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
589 Posts
Wow Gill, I got confused just reading your channel lineup, can't immagine actually operating it!!! lol.
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:32 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
One trick I learned piloting the real ones is you can move the tow sideways by leaving the steering rudders straight, come forward on one engine while backing on the other and then turn the backing rudders the direction you want the tow to move. It's takes pratice to adjust the forward and reversing just right to move sideways, but hey, it's a nice challenge to pratice with.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:36 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
I did a test run on Sunday, All I can say is WOW! I have used mixing on models before, but this brings it too a whole new level.
Thanks towboatjoe I didn't know what I was doing and tried the differant configuations, to my suprise they worked. Just as you say I can make the boat move side ways. I had severel people try to find the bow thrusters. No there are none.
I do think that I am going to switch to the 60mm props, she does have a lot of power, but I like more.
I even did a recovery, That's the built in surprise. I have a channel set up that opens the rear hatch and then fires a tow line with a grapling hook. I have it set for about a 4 ft range and no more then 2 ft high. I just back up the the recovery, hold my #8 button and pull ch5. Hatch opens and hooks away. Right across the bow, slow forward and we were hooked. made for an easy tow in.
When I get the Bollard on I think that it wll work even beter as the line will come out across the bollard.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Hahaha, cool!

I want to see a video of this!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:23 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
The funny thing only 1 guy inthe club was privy too my hook. When I fired it I closed the hatch and I had every one tring to figure out how I got the line on the the other boat.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
I took a couple pic's of the launcher last night. When I activate the servo rotates and pushes the hatch open, just before full rotation a cam on the launcher presses the trigger to release the slug. The slug is a 0.015 piano wire triple hook. With a balsa body and aluminum lock ring. This was done so that it would float and not catch the bottom. I have a range of about 4 ft and it goes about 2 ft high.
Last edited by GILL RC; Jul 28, 2010 at 08:26 AM.