Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:29 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Cool
RC Laser From Kayak ( Video )

Hi,
It seems its been a long time since I have posted any sailboat related stuff, so I decided to play with the laser today while out in my kayak. Since I have a water proof video cam,, Why not!

Rc Laser From Kayak.wmv (6 min 51 sec)

I am considering making a boom mount for the cam to hang off the stern to put the weight in the back to help avoid the nose diving. The last part of the video is me chasing the laser, I finally catch it about 25 ft from shore. Lasers are so much fun. Enjoy!

Mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
Beware of the cabbage
London, England
Joined Jun 2005
486 Posts
Nice video from an unusual perspective, thanks for sharing!
MeGrimm is offline Find More Posts by MeGrimm
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:23 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Thanks, Its alot of fun out in the middle of this 170 acre lake and able to go where the wind is blowing. Now I just need an anchor system so I can park and let the wind point me the direct of the wind so I can work the laser.. I how to do more videos soon from different angles.
mike
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:47 PM
Beware of the cabbage
London, England
Joined Jun 2005
486 Posts
I spent some time thinking out how to see the exact wind direction for the boat but in the end I got used to watching the sails and getting the feel of the boat and realised that wind direction meters aren't actually very much help, especially when it's a bit turbulent out there.

I've been trying to work out how to put a video camera on my boat so that it can pivot to always be horizontal even when the boat heels on either tack. Sort of trying to get a video as seen from the crew's point of view when leaning over the side of a racing dinghy... But so far I haven't got very far!

Please post other videos you get from other angles...

MeGrimm
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:31 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheK4s#p/u

Here are a few I did a while back.It is great fun seing what you have got when you get home to the computer.
k4s is offline Find More Posts by k4s
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:14 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
good vids. I am thinking of when I do the boom cam about making a counter weight to hang below the cam to allow it to move freely,, might work..
mike
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:26 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Oh I almost forgot, I think I will put a stick up on my kayak with a ribbon of cassette tape so I can tell my wind direction.
mike
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:04 PM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper51 View Post
good vids. I am thinking of when I do the boom cam about making a counter weight to hang below the cam to allow it to move freely,, might work..
mike
I have tried having the camera hanging from the back stay so that it could stay level all the time.So far the results are not that watchable.The main problem I kept failing to solve is the constant movement of the camera with every piece of chop the boat hits.The resulting video is just too hard to watch.

There has to be some way of fixing the camera in a stable angle fore and aft,while still allowing it to swing freely side to side.I'm working solely with duct tape and some off cut aluminium strips bent into various shapes.So far all the simple brackets I come up with become to heavy and complicated for easy use.
Keep trying I guess,its a chore having fun
Old Jul 09, 2010, 04:29 PM
Beware of the cabbage
London, England
Joined Jun 2005
486 Posts
K4s, thanks for those videos! Some really nice angles and perspectives to get me thinking.

Have you tried a spar across the beam of the boat with the samera on one end and a counter weight on the other? If I can see a non surgical way to add one to my boat I'll give it a go...
Old Jul 09, 2010, 11:04 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
I was thinking about that choppy wave thing.. but like you said making it not so bulky that is sinks the boat.. well laser hull could stand some weight in the rear anyway, it would probly surf better.. but thats for another thread. making a pan and tilt rig with servos is easy but making it water proof might be a chore since I like sailing the laser is windy rough seas. But I have a few ideas. I need to talk to the machine shop down the road from my work.

just a thought, if a pan and tilt rig is use I could try some el cheapo heli gyros hahah.. suddenly this has become more complicated that planned.

mike
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:02 PM
Beware of the cabbage
London, England
Joined Jun 2005
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper51 View Post
...suddenly this has become more complicated that planned.
Yeah. and somehow more interesting than I realised!

Do you have any suggestions for a cheap, small waterproof video capable camera? That's my first step...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:56 AM
k4s
Joined Aug 2009
391 Posts
A quick edit of the racing in Auckland 10.7.10

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheK4s#p/a/u/0/EyTcSITL4mw
Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:25 AM
Registered Billy
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2003
335 Posts
I'm liking the boat cam stuff. Very kewl.

Brian
bkopke is offline Find More Posts by bkopke
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:51 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGrimm View Post
Yeah. and somehow more interesting than I realised!

Do you have any suggestions for a cheap, small waterproof video capable camera? That's my first step...

cheap and good and water proof are seldom used inthe same sentence.. I use a gopro hero wide angle, the HD version out now is nice, but the wide view sees soo much more.. if your looking for cheap check ebay, I have a few keychain spy cams that I use on my airplanes, not water proof, but its small enough a mast mount might work, if it doesnt make you sick watching it..