HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:53 AM
conchuot
California, USA
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Discussion
What is next after Blade mSR?

I have flown the mSR for few weeks now. Please recommend me the next level Heli that I can fly outdoor. I do have DX6i TX. Thanks.
conchuot is offline Find More Posts by conchuot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:35 AM
CP Newbie
South Korea
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
I went from a solo pro which is similar to the msr, right to a trex 450 clone. It's a huge jump though, and far more complicated and dangerous. A real next step would be a larger fp with a 90 degree flybar with paddles. There are lots of options in that category. Many of them won't work with your radio though. Sorry I can't be more specific.
KniteWulfe is offline Find More Posts by KniteWulfe
Old Jul 05, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
You can either go with a cheap 300 size FP heli, like the HBFP V2, or a 450 size CP heli. The HBFP is very cheap, very durable and easy to repair. But, it's not easy to learn to fly. Once you learn to fly it, a larger CP heli will not be much to learn. A Trex 450 clone is quite cheap and you can use your DX6i with it. But, it's not durable at all and every little crash will cost you time and money. It's highly advisable to get a good sim if you are going to go with a CP heli. They are not harder to fly than a comparable FP heli. But, between the frequent breakage and complexity of repairs, your air-time to down-time ratio will really suck. 20 second flights followed by two days of repairs makes for a very looong learning curve.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
If your looking to fly out side i would get a cp heli there miles better for flying outside, but they wont be as easy to fly as the msr , you could get a sim first to learn on, i got a blade400 and it does the job for me and its alot easy to fly out side than any 300 size or FP helis i got , guess i did get a ufly and it was great for learning to hover on but really didnt like wind so its upto you .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Jul 05, 2010, 08:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
I'd recommend a Walkera 4#6S or V120D01. They are slightly bigger then your mSR but can still be flown indoors. They have a 3 axis gyro system which make them a little easier for a beginner to fly, but can also be adjusted as your skills increase. Once you get the hang on that then you'll need to move outdoors with a CP heli to progress any further.

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:49 PM
CP Newbie
South Korea
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
The walkera helis are incompatible with the dx6i though, so be sure to look at the rtf ones.

If you do decide to make the jump to a cp make sure you are mentally ready for the commitment or it might frustrate you out of helis completely. A friend of mine got a trex clone at the same time as me. We both have sims, he has fixed wing experience and about a month with a commanche coax. I had a few weeks with a IR coax and a solo pro fp, and that's it. Now, I am working on figure 8's and he has one built kit and one in pieces and out of 4 flights has gotten about 1 minute of total flight time, and 4 bad crashes, one of which he almost mangled himself with the rotor blades. He has given up on helis now and it looks like I might be getting a great deal on his heli stuff. My point is, if you go that route make sure you are ready or it will not be a positive experience at all.
KniteWulfe is offline Find More Posts by KniteWulfe
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:25 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Good, Knite. At least know what you are getting into.

"Next" might be Blade 120, bigger FP with derivative MSR head design, shipping late summer. Will BNF with DX6i. Large enough to have a chance outdoors in very light wind, should be way easier than HBFP.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:46 PM
Joined Jan 2010
33 Posts
+1 to all the posts above, some of the names are familiar and listening to their advice helped me.

I was in a similar situation and i went from MSR to Blade SR with training gear. You'll notice that the MSR is a completely different animal to fly compared to a CP. You need a sim, besides savings in repair costs, they help with learning the hand eye coordination and making your reflexes 2nd nature (i practice every night for an hour, for a few months now).

the reason i went with the SR is because it came preconfigured and properly setup (plus i got a good deal on it, cheaper than the other options). I bought a HK450 before that, but it became obvious very quickly that i had no clue how to setup a CP heli. You'll have to learn things such as when and how to adjust the gyro, how to check and setup blade tracking, understanding flybar weights do and how to adjust them, and also what idle up is and what headspeed means. None of which is covered in the sims, or with the blade MSR.

The blade SR manual basically gave a breakdown on how the preconfigured radio is layed out and how to setup it up for your first flight. It ended up flying similar to a non stabilized and very very sensitive msr. I could slowly tweak those settings to reach a full blown CP heli.the radio it comes with is OK, but your DX6i puts that thing in the dirt. i'll be binding it to my DX6i at some stage and there are a lot of settings on these forums to try. i'm could infact program my DX6i now to fly it exactly like the blade SR radio, but for now atleast i can follow the manual a bit till i get the tech right.

again the training gear saved me more times than i like to count, and all the time its always at that moment when i relaxed a little thinking "nice,i got this heli flying down!". long story short, with some discipline and advice from forum dudes, i got more addicted to heli flying and havent crashed... yet

good luck and blue skies ahead!

D
dash2099 is offline Find More Posts by dash2099
Last edited by dash2099; Jul 06, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 09:13 AM
conchuot
California, USA
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and guidances. I think I will get a Phoenix sim and blade SR. I will let every one know in a month on my progress
conchuot is offline Find More Posts by conchuot
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:29 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
The Phoenix sim is a very good idea. The Blade SR may not be, however. It has significant problems with tail motor failures. You can buy several Trex 450 clones for less than what a Blade SR costs. It's a larger heli, so it's more stable; has a belt drive tail, so no tail motor problems and parts are much cheaper. Realistically, the cost of Trex clones has gotten so cheap, nothing else comes close from a cost effectiveness standpoint.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 05:35 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The Phoenix sim is a very good idea. The Blade SR may not be, however. It has significant problems with tail motor failures. You can buy several Trex 450 clones for less than what a Blade SR costs. It's a larger heli, so it's more stable; has a belt drive tail, so no tail motor problems and parts are much cheaper. Realistically, the cost of Trex clones has gotten so cheap, nothing else comes close from a cost effectiveness standpoint.
I am in a similar situation. I have been into RC planes for many years and into electrics for several years. I had a Blade Mcx but quickly got bored with it. I am looking for something to fly outside. I enjoy building but I am concerned that building a Trex clone might be a bit over my head. I have no local club to help so I am limited to help I get on the internet. Is buillding a Trex clone within the capability of most with limited help?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:22 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I am in a similar situation. I have been into RC planes for many years and into electrics for several years. I had a Blade Mcx but quickly got bored with it. I am looking for something to fly outside. I enjoy building but I am concerned that building a Trex clone might be a bit over my head. I have no local club to help so I am limited to help I get on the internet. Is buillding a Trex clone within the capability of most with limited help?
The head assembly is the most difficult part and that is usually already done. What there is left to assemble is usually minor and pretty easy. Though, it's advisable to ensure all screws have locktite, which may require some disassembly. You will need to purchase and install all of the electronics. This will give you some hassle with servos and receiver, but not a great deal. The difficult part comes in setting it up after you have completed the build and have your transmitter. But, you have the same setup issues with any RTF heli. Finless Bob's Trex 450 setup videos at Helifreak.com are the best source for learning how to do this.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 06:44 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
+1 on the Finless videos. They will teach you how to set up everything on a 450. Like Balr14 said, even with an RTF you still have setup issues. It's very rare for one to come truly ready-to-fly. And, after the first crash, what you have is a kit, anyway.
Just go slow. The head, while complicated, is logical, and once you do it, it won't seem so hard the next time. The two most important factors will be balance and tracking. Finless covers both.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli