Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by trees, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 06:19 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Discussion
Swallow

My friend has a lot of planes and he's a generous guy. That makes me lucky. While visiting his place the other day he offered up a dusty old kitbashed EPP combat wing. I can't remember what model it was but he chopped it in half, added a fuse and added the necessary components to create a scale replica of a de Havilland DH 108 "Swallow". He then proceeded to beat it on the slope for several years, surrender it to his young boy for abusive tosses off the deck at home then it made it's way back to the shop to collect dust for 3 years. Well that day it came home with me. I had to make it comfortable in it's new home so I stayed up for 16 hours refurbishing it. I tore off the covering and scale details, replaced the linkages and vertical stab, repaired one spar and added two more, filled holes, painted it, covered the whole thing with CP laminate, repaired and re-hinged the elevons, added electronics, etc. Having stayed up all night and worked on the plane all afternoon I dragged my tired body and dazed mind to the slope for a maiden. The wind was light but I tossed it up anyway. It was scratching for lift but IT FLEW and I was happy. I safely landed and tossed a more appropriate plane for the conditions. I've since trimmed it out and tweaked a few more things and it's just a blast to fly. Very stable and predictable, no bad habits. It's not a high performance plane but it's fun nevertheless. So far 4 of my friends have flown the Swallow and it always generates a smile. This will be our groups slope trainer. Pics and specs to come!
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
to remove ads between posts