HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mr.utopia, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:17 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
151 Posts
Discussion
UAV Flying Wing maiden flight and crash

The plane is UAV Flying Wing by Jaron, more info and PDF plans here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028334

Finished the plane at last and maiden flew it yesterday. It flew beautifully, glided incredibly and also could go fast if I wanted to. Unfortunately in the end I crashed the plane. I will repair it and get back into the air soon.

UAV flying wing - maiden flight and crash (8 min 54 sec)

I had various problems with motor while building the plane. While testing the plane at home, one shaft broke making the folding prop fly into the wall. Changed the shaft, shortened it, changed the prop to non-folding, and made sure it is balanced well and with as little vibration as possible. During the tests while changing rotation speed rapidly vibration started to show and I noticed the new shaft has bent. I did not have any more spare shafts so I've decided to put on the last motor I had. It was ordered for my other plane Skyartec Cessna. The strength of the Skyartec motor shaft was far better than for Towerpro motor. I noticed it while sawing the shaft shorter - it required much more time to do this. Lesson learned - do not use motors with 3mm shaft for pusher prop planes.

I did not get 2mm plywood. Instead I glued together two 1mm plywood plates with PVA glue. Also I made bottom wing from the single sheet of depron. In total I spent around 40 hours building the plane.

Some info:

All up weight: 620g (21.78oz)
Motor: 1530KV BL WZ12 (max 18A)
Prop: 9 x 4.7E
ESC: MAG8 25A
Battery: Turnigy 3S 2200mah 25C-35C
TX: Hitec Eclipse 7
RX: Corona RP6D1 35Mhz
Airborne time: 12 minutes 20 seconds
Battery voltage after crash: 11.9V
Expected max flight time: 45 minutes

As a result of falling onto a concrete - head part torn off, got 3 cracks on plywood frame and 1 crack on the lower wing. Should not be too hard to fix that.

In the first I thought the reason for crash was a bad servo or radio problems because the plane stopped listening to my commands and sharply turned to the left and dived into the ground. But after watching video I think reason for crash was stall.

More info soon.
mr.utopia is offline Find More Posts by mr.utopia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:38 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
151 Posts
Progress report

The first flight with FPV equipment was unsuccessful for me. I was launching the wing from small hill and I did not throw it with enough power. The plane banked to the left and hit ground hard. The front part was destroyed and one wing torn off. I ordered UHU Por glue from UK, glued the torn wing back and repaired other damaged parts.

Yesterday I test flew it without FPV equipment to see if everything works correctly and it was success. I flew for 27 minutes with 3S 2200mah battery and after the flight it had still 11 volts left. Not bad! During the flight I did several loops in a row and also some barrel rolls. I did not try inverted flight as I do not have enough experience yet. I made a plane little nose heavy and now stalls were no problem, I was able to recover from them instantly.

As soon as I have enough time and no wind, I'll fly FPV.

The second flight of UAV flying wing (6 min 21 sec)
mr.utopia is offline Find More Posts by mr.utopia
Last edited by mr.utopia; Jul 23, 2010 at 06:19 AM.