Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:51 PM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Gallery
PBR Mark II River Patrol Boat HI RES IMAGES!

Moving over from another forum for a little change. Doing a scratch build PBR mark II in 1/8th scale...yes BIG. Currently mocking up balsa hull for fiberglass mold. Details to follow. Basics are twin jets and electric power and 6 channel control:-) there will be toys on this one.
I thought some may be interested seeing the photos I had taken for scale reference at my local NJ naval yard. I also will post in another thread the USS ling and some seriously nice photos of the internal and external sub I took with a nikon D90 and a macro lens. My father had spent 3 months aboard the PBR although not the mark II and thought it was an appropriate next build. Hoping to present it to him on his 65th bday in 4 months. I have many more images of this boat in extreme detail for anyone that requests...these images are cut down 80% for viewing.
gcguru is offline Find More Posts by gcguru
Last edited by gcguru; Jul 04, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:34 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
994 Posts
Good deal on the pictures. I am always looking for more detail for mine. I did a 1/12 Mk. II PBR with working jets with brushless motors, water cooling, and lights.
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Jul 04, 2010, 11:15 PM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
I would love to see how you did the jets. This time around I am looking to to reduce noise/vibration on the drive train for a more realistic appeal. I have a couple rough drawings specifying rubber/gel filled mounts for the motors and encapsulating the jet drives in a secondary housing to suppress the buzz. likely a fiberglass cover insulated with dynamat or similar. the buzz just throws off the scale sound if you know what I mean. alternatively is attempting to design a low rpm jet drive with high lpm/gpm flow rate. seems as though all the commercial jet drives are designed for speed and acceleration. I am looking for quite the opposite considering the OEM detroit diesels in a PBR.
gcguru is offline Find More Posts by gcguru
Old Jul 05, 2010, 12:34 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Welcome mate.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:17 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Jun 2008
994 Posts
I simply used the Graupner Mini-jets and attached Traxxas Verlineion brushless motors. They work well and I'm not noticing any disparaging noise from them.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:46 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Jun 2008
994 Posts
My 1/12 PBR

Here are some pictures of my humble attempt to capture this boat.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 12:33 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,858 Posts
Wow! Your PBR is awesome GA!!

It must freakin' rip with two Velineon systems in it.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 05, 2010, 12:51 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Jun 2008
994 Posts
It does get up on plane OK. I have not had an opportunity to take it to a real lake to check it out yet. It does well in the creek behind the house though.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:20 PM
Oregon City,Oregon
Joined Jun 2010
86 Posts
Pbr

Iam a new ship guy iav been on the destorer thread as iam rebuilding A fleacher but iav just got hule for a PBR....i like this river boat any more info would be helpfull love the pics u have how does the pbr power them jet drives is that a part u can buy or did u make it anyway here is a pic or 2 of what iam working with......we have a site as well stop by and say hi....www.teamsplashracing.com

cars and ships
RaceDog is offline Find More Posts by RaceDog
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:55 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,802 Posts
HEY race DOG I just sent you some pictures of the one I told you about . Glad to see another put on a sight for these . I want to say thank you Gcguru. Any and all information will help Race dog in building his PBR DON THE Rustbucket.
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:37 AM
Oregon City,Oregon
Joined Jun 2010
86 Posts
FiberGlass

I was thinking of making it fiber glass how about some tips on doing it to my hule...........

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BpZgeObTfg
Last edited by RaceDog; Aug 16, 2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: needed to add some link
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:54 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Jun 2008
994 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to check the older threads for what you want to do. Build your hull out of wood and then glass it inside and out for strength. There are many ways to do the same things. Pick one that you are comfortable in doing.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:52 PM
Oregon City,Oregon
Joined Jun 2010
86 Posts
Glass

did u see my pics i recive a hule going to do it to that i have used glass befor on cars......have look havent see anything looks good yet....Thanks.