HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:10 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Aloha there, buddy! I'm going back RES with it. It flew so well in this configuration, I want it back the same.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,117 Posts
Cool, I'm going to build mine with flaps.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:05 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
Cool, I'm going to build mine with flaps.
Steve and Gerald over on the woody thread did theirs with flaps and love it. Either way, you can't go wrong....
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,117 Posts
:d:d:d
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:17 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Progress marches on. I have the fuselage covered, everything except the hatch that is. If I can be so bold to say, I like it. I was not leaving myself enough excess covering to get a hold of to really pull it around those curves. The front looks great, the tail could be better but the flaws vanish from more than two feet so its good enough for me. Besides I plan to be looking at this plane from more like 800' most of the time.

I took a few minutes to put the main wing and fuselage on my scale to get some weights to see how I am doing.

Left wing, no covering or servos = 281g = 10 oz
Right wing, same as left = 290g = 10.4 oz
Fuselage, including battery, two servos, elevator pushrod = 491g = 17.5 oz
Uncovered horizontal tail = 51.5g = 1.8 oz

So as of now I am sitting at 39.7 oz. It still needs the rudder cables, two spoiler servos, spoiler covers, wing covering, rx..... hmmmmm will it come in under my 60 oz target weight? We'll have to wait and see.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Looks great, Wayne! If you don't have any hairline wrinkles on that curvy beast, then you're my new hero. I don't think having more to excess to tug on would help something like this and may have been a hinder. Super job....it's absolutely beautiful!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:54 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Good morning Dwells,

Thanks for the kind words. I may not be your hero as there are a few little hairline wrinkles in the covering but you really have to look for them. Some might be mistaken for wood grain or wood joints showing through the covering. That is one of the downsides to building your own plane, you know where every single imperfection is at. Most people would never even notice but you do.

I am going to start working on covering the horizontal tail next, so as Bob likes to say, Stay tuned...

Wayne
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Yup, it seems that before covering everything is perfectly smooth and you should get glass after the job but the covering seems to show everything, especially opaque film. I have to use opaque though because all my gooing gauming has to be covered up .
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
I have not made any real headway on the Raven but I think I am really close to picking a wing pattern and color scheme. I went so far as to do a mock up wing to see if I would like what I have floating around in my head. Here is a picture, roughly, of where I am going. I will probably get rid of the black wingtip and everything under the black dividing stripe will be white. Nothing is concrete yet. The bottom of the wing will be black instead of gold and will have the wingtip be black. Slowly but surely.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:30 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,
Very creative and nice. Your getting close now.
Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:37 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
I have made a couple of minor revisions to the design. One has a second black stripe and the other one is simple. Right now I am leaning towards the simple one. I am currently working on mounting spoiler servos and wiring the wing. Nothing really to show in pictures, I mean we have all seen jumbles of wires, no need to see that again right?

Wayne
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Lookin' Great Wayne- will the white be opaque enough to show the top colors?
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:24 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Hi Captain,

On the real Raven wing the gold and black areas are sheeted so no light is going to shine through. The white is semi transparent like on the new Ava's and such. The only open areas of the wing are from the spar back to the TE starting at rib #4. The root of the wing is fully sheeted out to rib #4.

Wayne
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:18 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
I remember now! I was testin' you for the right answer!!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:39 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Very nice looking, Wayne. I like the single black line better than the additional pinstripe also.