Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborflyer View Post
Looks like covering time !

ross
Not quite yet but it is getting close. I still need to build the servo trays for the spoilers and add a couple of gussets at the poly breaks. It is definitely time to make a final decision on the color scheme.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:54 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,671 Posts
Lookin' Great Wayne!
Right on schedule for next spring I see!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:04 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Lookin' Great Wayne!
Right on schedule for next spring I see!
Hey hey now, quite piling on the pressure there Captain. Remember our discussion at Baker's Square, it'll be finished when it gets finished. No more time lines. Building needs to be fun not hurried.

Wayne
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:44 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
OK, so as we can all see the major parts of my polyhedral wing are ready to go. The picture in post 1395 is a trial fit of the wing panels. I will be setting them with epoxy tomorrow afternoon. I decided to keep the wingtips simple and I hope to make the fancy ones on the gull wing. During the wing sanding process I sanded a little too deep in a few areas on the upper wing sheeting near the wing root so I think I will be hitting that area with a little lite fiberglass and laminating resin. Glassing the wing roots is probably not a bad idea in general anyway as there is a lot of stress going through that area.

As of now the wing halves weigh 170g and 178g each, we'll see where they end up after the fiberglass and spoiler servos are added. My target weight was 60 oz flying weight and I think I will be close to that when everything is said and done. I don't remember the fuselage weight but I can reweigh it tomorrow. I have all the servos, battery and wiring, so going forward should be relatively smooth sailing. As always it is an issue of free time. I have learned a lot reading different build threads here on RCGroups but I have yet to read where a guy can buy more time. For those of you still following this thread I promise I will finish and fly this plane, it is only a matter of when. My life is a little crazy at the moment and some weeks I can only find 30 minutes of time, if I'm lucky, to work on the Raven build. I have said many times throughout this build that I am the worlds slowest builder but I know of a guy down in Texas who took three years to build an Oly III so I'm in good company. Sorry Dwells, I couldn't resist.

Wayne
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:10 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,671 Posts
That ain't nuthin! I found a fella with 4 years for a much littler bird!
Glad to see the priorities are still in Line! Afella just has to check the fence every so often! ya wanna know what's really fun? going to work, after 5 days off, see eveybody hangin out in the parking lot because the boss was late for the rent came home after some goofin around @ Harbor Freight to an interview@ 1400-- 1100 arrival time! good interview- especially with troll jokes and the lock out story!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:36 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Looking good there Wayne,mine has been so much trouble with all the set backs I find it hard to get in the mood to finish it.This winter for spring I think.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi Scottie, I can empathize with your situation. If your not in the right mood to work on something then it is more of a chore than a pleasure. I have been there a couple of times myself. Each time I simply shelved it and worked on something else for a while. Lord knows I have enough things to work on. When the time feels right you will come back to it. On a brighter note, how is the baby Cobra working out? I saw an initial flight report and that was it. Do you still like it?

My build has moved forward a little more. I was able to get the fiberglass onto the wing sheeting of the inner wing panel without any problems or setbacks. Applying the glass was not nearly as hard as I was anticipating. The results were better than I had hoped for and the weight gain was acceptable. So where do things stand? Well the attached picture will tell most of you what you want to know. I still need to make the rudder and attach the shoulder mounts on the fuselage. Nothing complex there. After that I am looking at a final sanding, covering and electronics install. Dare I say the end is in sight? If nothing else I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I thought I would get a weight as it sits right now and my scale reads 38.3 oz. My current weight includes the two wing servos, the wing joiner rods and heavy temporary tail joiner rods, so basically I have 22 oz to play with for electronics, a rudder, the pull-pull rudder system, misc mounting trays and brackets and covering. I honestly don't know if I am sitting in the cat bird seat or if I should be looking to shave weight. I'm going to weigh my remaining electronics tomorrow to get a better feel for where I stand. My goal is to keep it around 60 oz, the plans call for a 64 oz flying weight.

So I assembled the Raven tonight in my shop and as I was putting on the second wing a scene from the movie Jaws came to my mind. As I was backing up to try to get a picture of the assembled plane I ran out of room. I thought of the scene where the sheriff sees the shark for the very first time and backs away from the stern of the boat and sais, " I think we're going to need a bigger boat". Well I think I'm going to need a bigger shop. Sailplanes bigger than 3 meters are definitely not in my future unless I get a different workshop.

Enjoy the pictures and I will keep plugging away, slowly but surely.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Wayne,
Just take it outside for pictures !

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
WOW Wayne, it's looking really good. I can't seem to get a weather break around here. June was a disaster. July has been really busy for me. Maybe I can get in some flying before the month is over.
Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Morning Wayne-the cobra is a blast,climbs like a rocket and floats forever.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Wayne

Your 4 panel poly wing makes for a swoopy looking Raven, what colors will you use in the finish.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:39 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi G Don, you know I have really been struggling with the color scheme. As of today I am leaning towards a green/black/white scheme. Wings will be opaque over the sheeted areas and transparent over the open areas. I saw a color scheme a while back while looking for plans on RCM plans website that I liked. See the picture below. I also have been thinking about a solid black and trans yellow option.

I have been thinking about making my gull wings fully sheeted and have a natural finish on them so whatever I do with the fuselage may need to work with a natural wood wing. I recently picked up a used Art Hobby Thermic and I really like the natural wood covered wing. I had been thinking of the wood wing for a long time and this just cemented the idea.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Black and trans yellow is not as easy to see as you might think,trans green with the black on the sheeted bits should show up well.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Wayne

What would look pretty neat is a bit of vintage coloring & covering on your new modern looking Gullwing bird !!

Go to ARUP's build in scale under Ballestructo [ on page 2 ] and look at the reddish brown color he has put on the balsa for a vintage look, then use some of the translucent white coverall for a very cool look.

I'am going to do a simular thing on my new primary glider to color the balsa , so it looks more vintage.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don