HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Well Old man Murphy has been hanging out in my workshop this past week and he has been really slowing me down. I was making great progress and was well on my way to having the last wing section off the board by Sunday evening until...

Somehow I misplaced my final brass wing tube. I looked high and low for it but it was not to be found in the shop. So on Saturday I ran over to the hobby shop to pick up another one, well they were out. So I run to the craft/hobby shop, nope. Next I try the Ace hardware store, nope. Bottom line, there are none to be found in the city, so I get one on order at the hobby shop and proceed home to do whatever else I can on the wing. So Tuesday I get a call from the hobby shop saying the tubes have come in and I run over after work and pick one up. I get home, cut it to length and test fit it over the wing joiner rod. It jams. I use a little more "persuasion" and get the rod to go through the tube but it is way too tight. It is the right diameter but something is not right. I try reaming it out, everything I can think of to get a smooth fit but Murphy would not allow it. So, back to the store, get another one, check it at the store and every single one in the box does the same thing. Where is the quality control. I check the aluminum tubes and they all slide on very nicely so I opt to go with an aluminum tube. Please don't tell me all the horrible things that will possibly happen because I am using an aluminum joiner tube.

So, back to the house, cut the tube, fit it in the wing, mix up some epoxy and get that baby glued in there. The next morning I come down to the garage and I discover the epoxy did not set. After cursing under my breath I figure all it will need is a little heat to finish off the curing so I get some heat and have at it. I hit the epoxy with around 140 degrees for 5 hours and still nothing but gum. So I carefully tear out the tube, clean up the ribs and try it again. This morning when I got down to the garage the new batch of Epoxy had fully set and the tube is now set in the wing. I should be able to get the last few pieces of sheeting on over the joiner tube tonight and then the wing will come off the board. I will still need to do the cap strips on the bottom part of the wing but I have those all cut and ready to go.

So, if any of you would like Old man Murphy to come stay at your place for a while let me know and I will buy him a bus ticket and get him on his way. He has been at my house too long.

That's all for now. I'm still hoping to have it ready for the event on the 23rd. I am going to be able to take a couple of days off over the next two weeks so hopefully I can use that time to really make some progress on it.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:15 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
Wowee Wayne! The 'old man' must've hooked a ride from up this way!
at least the both of us are moving forward now!
johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:50 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Sorry Wayne. Try to keep going.
Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
384 Posts
Wayne,
You will find that brass tube on your final bench clean up before flying the model. That's when i find missing parts !

ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Bob - fear not, I will not let Murphy get the better of me.

Ross - You are right, it is in there somewhere. In addition to the Raven project I have a couple of house projects going which means I end up shuffling the workbench between projects. No doubt it is buried under something or behind the workbench. Someday it will decide to reveal itself to me and I will mutter to myself, "now why didn't I look for it there"

Well even with all the recent setbacks and interruptions, progress is being made. I am proud to finally announce that the last wing section is free from the building board and is straight. Last night I was able to get the plywood endcap on, the bottom side sheeting finished and the remaining rib caps measured and dry fit. Tonight I will be able to glue the rib caps down and begin sanding the LE. I will have a picture of a fully assembled wing on the fuselage sometime this week. It's little milestones like this that keep a builder going. Last week I was so frustrated that I almost went out and bought an ARF. After a couple of glasses of wine my senses returned and I was able to find my motivation. I know there is a lot of little fiddly stuff yet to do but having all of the major structures finished is nice.

Wayne
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:43 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
The wing panel is 100% off the board, the templates have been attached and the sanding has begun. Old man Murphy is still lingering and is trying really hard to spoil my fun. I went to put some fresh sand paper on my long sanding bar and I ran out 8 inches from the end. In a grand show of defiance to Murph, I "liberated" a piece from my smaller sanding bar and got to work. Now if I can only remember to order some more tomorrow.

Wayne
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:06 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Wayne

What is amazing to me is how those little parts can just grow a set of legs in the middle of the night and walk off, sometimes never to be seen again!!

Far as Murphy goes boy he sure spread himself thin, being at more than one workshop at a time wow what a trick.

Over the years i learned the hard way to buy more than one when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Hang in there Wayne is it does get better.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,972 Posts
Murphy needs to be shot or something as he has invaded my shop as well,I snipped some push rod wire the other night and a piece whent flying and put a hole in the transparent red on the raven wing that was 8' away.Now I have to recover the tip on the left wing again before I put the black trim on!
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi Scottie,
Sorry man. It's going to be 60 and cloudy today with sprinkels. Oh well. I'll just have to work on the Jr. Falcon.
Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,972 Posts
Looking foreward to the flight report.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:11 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Bob

Do you have any pics of your Falcon ?

Thanks , G Don
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:21 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi Don,
No, but I can take some. It was actually a gift. It's been in the 50's here and raining. No flying for the mean time.
Bob in cold wet Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:21 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Bob

Do you know what week will be your Summer this year?

Crazy weather nowdays, when we first moved here to Granada Hills [ 30 miles west of Los Angeles ] in 56' it was a hundred every day and very dry all summer long. Now it is a lot more humid and a lower temp too and your car will have doo on it in the morning, before it would by dry day in and day out and just dusty.

Looking forward to seeing your plane pics.

G Don
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi Don,
It will either be the last week of July or the first week of Aug. Those 2 weeks have the lowest chance of rain of any other weeks. It's 55 and cloudy this morning and been raining all night. It's going to rain for the next several days and be in the 60's. Oh well, life goes on.
Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
So I went into the garage this morning and what did I see? It appears as though old man Murphy decided he had done enough to me and decided to move on to someone else. I will post more details later tonight.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Jul 09, 2012 at 01:39 PM.