HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 09:55 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,450 Posts
Well I got the building board cleared off once again and have started to layout the final wing panel. This one should really go much more quickly after the learning curve of the first one. My goal is to have it flight ready for our June 23rd soaring event, its called the "My Fair Maiden" event and it is going to showcase all the winter builds and new plane acquisitions. Hopefully I will be ready in time, 7 weeks and counting.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 07:59 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Go wayne go!
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old May 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,
I am working with Dave now on a 2 meter Ravin Gull wing package. His stuff is really good. More later.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,
I got the rib drawings from Dave. They are great. I'm going to order 2 sets. One is for AOG Spares. I'm waiting for the price quote. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 06:35 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,556 Posts
Wayne ! she's looking great! I'm covering the C, looks like' Fair Maiden' shall be a great day!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old May 06, 2012, 07:02 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
309 Posts
I will have to say the same about Dave. I order a set of ribs from him months ago, really didn't plan on building the bird till this winter. A few week ago I got an email from him saying that the ris he cut for me was off a little and he would be cutting me a new set at no cost. They showed up a few days later via priority mail. So you know the old saying.... good work gets you more work. I sent him a set of plans for a classic out of production kit. He's doing the Ribs for this one with the original Clark Y and a S3014 D tube. Great guy to work with so far.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Alright, as is par with my life Thursday came and went and no laser rib report was posted. Given the insanity that is my day to day life as of late, I probably should not make any more promises on when I will have anything done. Having said that I do have some information for all of you who have been patiently waiting for more information.

I have been working with Dave from Aerowerks for a little while now and let me start off by saying he is a stand up guy. For whatever reason, the first set of ribs he sent to me were off a little bit. I am an easy going kind of guy and I was willing to live with it but he was not satisfied with that, so he went back to the computer files and figured out where the issue was, recut the entire set and shipped me another set for no cost. I finally had some time this weekend to open up the new ribs and look them over and I must say they are perfect. I pulled some random ribs out of the sheet stock and placed them on the spar and plan for my final inner wing panel and they lined up perfectly. I then took the plywood face rib and lined it up the the wing panel I already built and it is perfect. 10 seconds with a little piece of sand paper had it fitting my existing wing rods. I could not be happier with these and have zero reservations recommending them to all of you. Wood selection is appropriate for the use and it is all packaged nice and safe to ensure it will arrive to your door intact. Another thing Dave did was to layout all the parts onto 24" stock so that if people want to order this from outside the US the shipping charges will be lower due to its smaller size.

I snapped a few pictures to show you what you are getting and if any of you have questions please feel free to ask. I am planning to use this laser cut set of ribs when I build the gull wing for my Raven. I am going to update the first page of the thread with Dave's contact information later today.

Wayne
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old May 07, 2012, 11:01 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,450 Posts
Hi Rich,

I am glad to hear your experience with Dave has been similar to mine. Whenever it is that you get around to building your Raven be sure to let us know. At the very least post a picture of the completed plane. I am planning post completed build pictures in the second post of this thread as an easy place for people to see them. I have one from Bob that needs to be posted and Scottie hasn't actually posted a picture of his after the storm damaged it.

Progress Report:

I have the trailing stock made, notched and in place. I have all the balsa ribs glued in place and I have the subspar notches sanded into the plywood ribs. I should be able to get the 4 remaining plywood ribs set and glued in place tomorrow evening. Then it will be onto the sheer webs and fitting the joiner tubes. This will go more quickly as I made a jig to cut the sheer webs. No joiner tube fiasco on this wing panel so onward I go. I already have the upper sheeting ready to go and the LE material is ready and waiting.

Wayne
Old May 08, 2012, 08:35 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,
Dave is cutting my 2 meter gull wing ribs now. This guy is so nice and really helpfull. I'll keep you posted.
Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,
I got the rib set from Dave. They are perfect. See photo. Now I can build a 2 meter gull wing later on.
Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Hi Guys,
I got the rib set from Dave. They are perfect. See photo. Now I can build a 2 meter gull wing later on.
Bob in Seattle
I'll be keen to buy a set as Dave is exceptional.

Just to clarify for me (complete novice):
With dihedral or with ailerons and no dihedral? I'm guessing the latter.

BTW - have you built with these ribs yet?

thanks Bob
Rich_G is offline Find More Posts by Rich_G
Last edited by Rich_G; Jun 01, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:16 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Rich,
I will build the 2 meter wing just like I did the 3 meter wing. It will be a Gull wing with ailerons. I just don't have the room to fly a 3 meter comfortably. I won't do this until the Winter of 12-13.
Daves work is great. Maybe you should try building something a bit easier for a first build. This isn't an easy plane to build.
Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:19 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,450 Posts
Update

Hello everyone,

So it has been a while since I posted anything here so I thought I would post where things are at. So the big question is what have I gotten done since I last posted? Answer, I have painted the hallway, planted 2 veggie gardens, blah, blah, blah. In between work and the never ending, always growing honey-do list I have managed a little time to work on the Raven. As I type this the glue is drying on the top sheeting of the final wing panel. Tomorrow I will start putting on the cap strips and with any luck the final wing will be off the board. This will mark a milestone in my build as it will be the last of the major part builds.

I already have the right wing joiner built and will work on the left side on as the glue dries tomorrow. With any luck I might actually be able to take an "in the bones" picture Sunday evening. There is still a lot of stuff to do but it is getting there. Just remember, I said at the beginning of this process that I was the worlds slowest builder, I would hate to prove myself wrong.

Wayne
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Hi Rich,
I will build the 2 meter wing just like I did the 3 meter wing. It will be a Gull wing with ailerons. I just don't have the room to fly a 3 meter comfortably. I won't do this until the Winter of 12-13.
Daves work is great. Maybe you should try building something a bit easier for a first build. This isn't an easy plane to build.
Bob in Seattle
Hi Bob - oh yes I've got several builds to get through in increasing levels of difficulty. The Raven is way down the line!
Rich_G is offline Find More Posts by Rich_G
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:00 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,450 Posts
Good morning everybody, the sheeting is dry, the wing panel is straight and I have glued on the LE. Upper cap strips are next, those go on easy then it will be time to put on the templates and sand, sand, sand. I'm off to the garden now to finish getting the plants in the ground and the mulch put down while the glue dries.

Wayne
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:40 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,556 Posts
moving forward does include basic life, huh! me too!- I've had about 6 months of 'life' in 3 weeks!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!