SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:27 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Richard,
Thanks buddy. It looks great in the sky.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,123 Posts
Yes, I expect a lot of folks will be Ravin' about it
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Yes, I expect a lot of folks will be Ravin' about it
Rich_G is offline Find More Posts by Rich_G
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi Bob,

I saw your second flight report and I must say it brought a big smile to my face. I am very glad to hear that the Raven is a well mannered aircraft. I too have never flown anything this big or heavy so hearing your positive reports help calm my nerves.

I do have a small build update to post, the right inner wing panel is off the building board and 95% sanded to shape. The wing joiner is built and spoiler bay is framed up. I should have a complete wing half soon. The next one will go much faster.

I also have an update on the laser rib sets but don't have time to go into details tonight. Look for a detailed report Wednesday or Thursday.

Wayne
aka Captain Slow
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
That's TO funny Don !!!!
Keep up the good work Wayne.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:44 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Captain Slow here,

Well the inner wing panel is finally free of the building board, it is sanded and a little filler was need in a couple of areas to make it smooth. I popped off the sanding templates, grabbed the wing joiner and, for the first time fitted the two wing halves together. Dang if it didn't fit almost perfectly. A little fine tuning will be needed but everything lines up nicely. So now I will sand the bevels on the wing panel ends and get the joiner fitting nice and snug. So only one more inner wing panel to build and all the major build pieces will be finished. Then it will be onto fitting things together. Here are a couple of pictures for all of you.

I should have time tomorrow evening to do a complete report on the laser cut ribs. Ran out of time tonight to do it justice.

Wayne
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Looking good.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:07 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Wayne

I have heard that the light will fade the Purplehart , you might wan't to clear it pretty quick to delay the fading.

Those trick woods look neat, will have some in my new primary glider also.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Your having fun now Wayne !! Keep up the good work.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:22 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi G Don,

I have heard that the purpleheart can fade but I am going to give it try anyway. Last winter I stopped by a "Woodworker's Store" and saw all the different veneers and my imagination went wild. Most of the ideas I have are beyond my woodworking skill level but I have a couple of ideas I'm going to try. It will be fun.

Wayne
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Wayne

I'am working with a Veneer shop right now to make some 3/16" 5 layer ply for the fuse sides on the Primary, each layer will be a different wood and color so the end grain will look really neat.

Hard to beat Mother Nature's finest!!!

Wayne what color of covering will you use to go with the Purpleheart?

G Don
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Honestly I'm not sure yet. I have probably had 5 different covering schemes all planned out throughout this process, I keep changing my mind. I probably wont know for certain until after I iron on the last piece.

Wayne
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
I'am kinda in the same boat, once i get the ply i can decide on either trans red - orange or yellow that will go with the shade of the clear coated mahogany.

So i'am about 2 wks away form getting my ply, so i'am using this time for drawing up my plans for the 1/5 scale vintage bird with a 80" by 12" cord wing.

Plus lots of cables on this baby so i'am figuring out where to run them.

G Don
Last edited by granada don; Apr 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,
We still have May and June to get through here in Seattle, before Summer really arrives. I'm going to start tinkering with my Poly Pulsar 2 M with the normal tail. There is a lot more rain still headed our way. It'll help pass the time.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:45 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Alright, as is par with my life Thursday came and went and no laser rib report was posted. Given the insanity that is my day to day life as of late, I probably should not make any more promises on when I will have anything done. Having said that I do have some information for all of you who have been patiently waiting for more information.

I have been working with Dave from Aerowerks for a little while now and let me start off by saying he is a stand up guy. For whatever reason, the first set of ribs he sent to me were off a little bit. I am an easy going kind of guy and I was willing to live with it but he was not satisfied with that, so he went back to the computer files and figured out where the issue was, recut the entire set and shipped me another set for no cost. I finally had some time this weekend to open up the new ribs and look them over and I must say they are perfect. I pulled some random ribs out of the sheet stock and placed them on the spar and plan for my final inner wing panel and they lined up perfectly. I then took the plywood face rib and lined it up the the wing panel I already built and it is perfect. 10 seconds with a little piece of sand paper had it fitting my existing wing rods. I could not be happier with these and have zero reservations recommending them to all of you. Wood selection is appropriate for the use and it is all packaged nice and safe to ensure it will arrive to your door intact. Another thing Dave did was to layout all the parts onto 24" stock so that if people want to order this from outside the US the shipping charges will be lower due to its smaller size.

I snapped a few pictures to show you what you are getting and if any of you have questions please feel free to ask. I am planning to use this laser cut set of ribs when I build the gull wing for my Raven. I am going to update the first page of the thread with Dave's contact information later today.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling