SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,195 Posts
Bob:

You said you had all the parts. What size spinner are you going to use? 40mm, 42mm, 45mm or ??? What size aileron servos? Single with pull cords or one for each surface?

I have some of the parts but am going to need to order a few. I think I will make the bell crank out of some bare fg pc board material I have. Lots of cutting but cheap!

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 01:42 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Good deal Wayne. That will make it even more fun. 6 creative builders are better than 4. I'm also making sure that I have enough C4 Krank, Pinot Gris, and sharp cheader cheese for the build.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:21 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
The bell crank

I had to give the mill up 2 days early so I cut this bugger by hand to kill some time today.Its cut from 3/32" hard aluminum and tapers to 1/16" at the bottom to fit a 2/56 sulliven gold link,I like these for internal linkage because of the metal retainer.I'll fit some nylon bushings to the pivot later.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
NICE job Scottie. Your a man of many skills.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:51 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Hi FC,

I just returned from a little fly time with the Riser. Had good flight times today, my best was 9 minutes 34 sec. Not too bad for only flying with half an elevator. The little dowel connecting the elevator halves decided to fail today. It's nice to know I only need half to land.

Anyway on to one of your questions, wing servos. I have not purchased my servos yet because I have not made a final decision. I am looking very closely at the MKS DS450MG servo. My other option is the Hitech HS-125. Right now I am leaning towards the MKS as it is $5 less than the Hitech and it is digital and it has dual ball bearings. I would love some opinions on servos.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Sorry about your elevator. That could be scarry !! As far as servos go, I was taught to buy Hitec. Never had a failure. I'm sure your other choise is just fine. I've never heard of them. But, the specs look good to me.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:57 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Those MKS's look pretty nice by the specs. Speed and torque are pretty close, but the MKS is smaller and liter. Interesting...
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:29 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Wayne-bend a piece of 1/16" music wire into a elongated U shape and epoxy it to the bottom of the stab , the halves will never come loose from each other again.The 1/8" dowel was always the weak point in the tail on the 2 meter.Today I think I'll make the bushings for the stab crank and start traceing the fuse side patterns.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:44 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Perhaps it would be best to epoxy the wire to the bottom of the elevator as sticking it to the stab won't help much!The error shows what happens when I post before coffee. scottie
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,195 Posts
How about spinner size. I know I am going to have to order one.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:16 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI Steve,

I measured the drawing. The fuse is about 42 or 43 MM wide. I have a 40 MM spinner I held up to it, it looked OK. I would think that something in that zone of 40-42 MM would work. For me, it's going to be a square nose with a round spinner. Just like my Riser nose. So I'm not to concerned about a perfect match.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Put a sheet of 1/8 balsa on the nose and sand it to blend the spinner to the fuselage?

I don't come over here often, Bob. I know you're anxious to start building, and stop watering your moss, but stop wishing all your good weather away!

(jk!)
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I'll be useing the prop,spinner and motor from my bird of time arf-a dubro 1 3/4" spinner an APC 13X8 folder on a 50mm hub and the Eflite 25 size outrunner.I'll adjust the nose width just enough to round in the spinner.Servo wise I'll go with the same Hitec combo that Bob's useing as I have those on hand.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:31 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Andy,

OK I'll try the balsa blending trick on the fuse. It's cloudy today and we were supposed to get some rain. It's looks like it wont happen. I'm gonna have to water the moss again. Sunshine is supposed to be here for the mid week. We shal see. Sept. is actually a good month most of the time. Oct is when it really gets serious about rain and cold. I can wait. Smile.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:37 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I think the time has come to make some decisions on the laser cut ribs. Originally I was thinking that we would be putting in the order to Tony around Sept 1st. Well that is only a week away. I think those of us getting the laser rib sets need to decide on an airfoil and get a yes or no from Tony. If you are going with the original airfoil then there is no problem, if you are thinking something else then I need a definite airfoil choice so I can get a thumbs up or down from Tony.

As of now Rabidrue1, KickAce, FoamCrusher, and Hir/Cer are in for a set and Alstrahm was a maybe. Bob already has a set and I am going to go old school and hand cut mine. I am going to assume that status still stands unless I hear differently from you. If there is anyone else lurking out there who wants in on the rib deal just let me know and we will get you in the loop. If any of you are still trying to source parts or wood, speak up and we can get you hooked up.

The start date is only 5 weeks away so lets get ready, it will be here sooner than you think.

Bob - At one point you had a material list started, can you post it here or email it to me and I will.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Aug 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM.