HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2005
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Don,

Thanks for watching. I have no doubt that there have been many group builds here on RCGroups. The biggest one that I am aware of took place over in the electric soaring thread a couple of years ago. If I am not mistaken close to 20 people participated in that one when they built a Chrysalis 2M glider. It is very possible that there were more than that building but not everyone posted on their builds.

Wayne
The Raven is quite a unique design and am actively watching this thread, having purchased the plans early on. Am always interested in build threads but discovered that I have been missing out by not looking previously at the Electric Sailplanes' section, especially the two Chrysalis threads including the group discount on the kits!
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2010, 08:13 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
I dug through the wood pile and found I have everything but the 1/16" ply for the sides,so I ordered it yesterday.I also found some 3/16" aluminum to mill the stab bell crank from.In spite of Dons words of wisdom as to the stab airfoil I think I'll build it as per plan and see how it goes,the raven has flown with this tail and had he found it lacking in some way I think Mike would have made the changes.HIR/CER come on and jump in this ought to be a fun build.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
I dug through the wood pile and found I have everything but the 1/16" ply for the sides,so I ordered it yesterday.I also found some 3/16" aluminum to mill the stab bell crank from.In spite of Dons words of wisdom as to the stab airfoil I think I'll build it as per plan and see how it goes,the raven has flown with this tail and had he found it lacking in some way I think Mike would have made the changes.HIR/CER come on and jump in this ought to be a fun build.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the way it flies, built as stock.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Aug 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm going to build the Gull wing version. I'm also going to electrify it. I've always wanted a gull wing plane. They just look so cool up in the air. We have lot's of sea gulls here in Seattle. I just love the wings they have. I got the rib set laser cut for a D box wing. I'm very excited about this build. The obvious mod will be to the nose section, for the motor. The plywood sides will be a great help on the strength issue. Hope you don't mind I'm doing these changes to your plane.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:47 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
No Bob,

Feel free, it will be interesting to see what derivatives emerge from this build thread

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Aug 16, 2010, 05:59 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Thanks Mike. I'll proceed as planned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:41 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Mine will be an E-power version also with just enough changes in the nose to fit an Eflite 25 outrunner that needs a home.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:08 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Scottie,

I wonder if we will be the only two guys doing the electric option ? Time will tell.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:56 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Hi Bob,

I think the electric option may be the majority of the builds. It is just my unscientific opinion but I believe many glider guys like going electric due to its ease of launching in smaller fields. It opens up many more flying locations for them. I have been very lucky in finding large fields to fly from but I live in flyover country and we have open space.

I went over to my local hobby shop the other day and believe it or not he has most of the misc stuff I need for the build, he even has 48 x 12 plywood. I did some quick math and the bottom line seems to be that cost is a wash between online and him so I am going to try to buy as much as I can through him. It's nice to have a hobby shop in town and if I don't support him now he may not be here tomorrow.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:36 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

We're only about 6 weeks out now on the start of the build. I'm just about ready. I just need the rain to start falling, and the temps to drop.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:22 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Hi Scottie,

I wonder if we will be the only two guys doing the electric option ? Time will tell.

Bob in Seattle
Bob:

Mine will be electric if I can find a used Mega 16/15/3 for the 5.2:1 gearbox I already have....or I may breakdown and steal a power unit from one of my other planes that took a beating in my recent move.

If weight is an issue in the nose, I can cut back on the pack size and still not get them too hot under load. Lighter is better, but most older designs expected you to add 5 or more ounces of lead in the nose and the motor/gearbox come in at about that weight. Since it is generally windy here in the summer, the packs are about what you would add in ballast, and the freedom of not needing a winch really makes electric worthwhile.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi FC,

Good to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that you will be joining the elec. guys on this build. We're going to have a lot of fun with this one for sure.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:46 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Glad you are jumping F/C.Today I should have the stab bell crank milled out I hope this isn't cheating on the start date,but I have to return the micro mill I barowed on Monday.I've made the hub section 3/16" thick and am milling the arms down to 1/16",I'll add some holes to lighten it and get some photos up later.
Last edited by rabidrue1; Aug 21, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:21 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Scottie,

No man, that's fine. I took the lazy man's way out and just bought one. I have all the stuff I need now. There will be 4 of us at this point. It will be enjoyable and nice to do over the Winter. I'm looking forward to it, so is Foxy.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
There will be 4 of us at this point. It will be enjoyable and nice to do over the Winter.
Hi Bob,

Minor correction, at my last count I had 6 people saying they are in for the build. I have them listed in post #2.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence