HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:13 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Hi Bob,

Your wings look great, so does your yard. The leaves finally all fell this past weekend so I spent my weekend raking. It is the price I get to pay each year for all of the shade I get all summer. I am slowly making progress but nothing really to report.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:58 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I've still got one tree with a few leaves on it yet. Maybe by Thanksgiving they will be all down. I've got to cover the ailerons next.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:35 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Little update

I think it can safely be said that I am the worst "stacked rib method" rib maker ever. Holly mackerel were my ribs off. So here is what I did to correct the problem, first I needed reliable templates for the ribs so I downloaded Profili and installed it onto my computer. Next I measured each rib from the plan and proceeded to print each rib from the Profili application and cut it out. Next I glued the paper template to each of my existing ribs, making sure to align them with the existing spar notches. I did stack the right and left side ribs together to save a little work. Then I sat down in my favorite workshop chair and began sanding down to the line on the templates. I did cheat and use some power sanding for the plywood ribs. I now get to retune the spar notches in the ribs as they are all too shallow. Oh the joy.

I was looking at my fuselage again and I think I am going to make the nose pointier but I don't want to run afoul of AMA/LSF contest rules by making too sharp a point. Does anybody lurking here know off the top of their heads what the minimum nose radius is to be contest eligible?

Wayne
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:25 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,511 Posts
That would be .75 (Diameter)- as that in glass was splitting rocks in California back in the early 90's! a Model aviation mag was talking about it in the safety issue!
Great work guys!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:32 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Thanks Johnny, I would hate to become known as "Wayne, the impaler flyer" up there at MRCSS.

Here are a couple of basic pictures of the reshaped ribs. They look a lot better.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Nov 09, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:54 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Those ribs are looking really good. Sorry about the re-work. I've got to cover the ailerons today, and run errands.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:17 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well, I didn't get the ailerons covered today. Just way to many errands to do. But, the weather is getting worse by the day. See Radar. Tomorrow should be a better day for covering. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:15 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

It's a small piece of progress, but I got the L/H aileron covered today. See photo. It goes on the wing just behind my shoulder. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:45 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I finally got the other aileron covered this morning. See photo. Now I'm going to glue the control horns on. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 03:38 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

The control horns are on the ailerons. See photo. Now the long wait begins. The JB Weld takes 8 hrs to set up. I'm going to work on the spoiler openings in the wings. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:35 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the spoiler on and hinged. See photo. Can functional testing be far off ???? NO !!! Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:37 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Morning Guys,

I got the ailerons on. See photo. I am now going to start rigging them. See photo. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Good morning Bob,

Your wing is looking mighty fine. That shade of blue looks very nice too. I'm watching so keep up the good work. My wings are on hold until the LHS gets in some more 1/16 sheet balsa. Everything I have in my stash is too heavy for wing sheeting. Once I get the lighter stuff I will be back on my way.

Wayne
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I hope the wait isn't to long. Yes, when Nick showed me that shade of light blue, I ordered several yards of it from England. I couldn't find a light blue here that was that nice looking.
I now have the push rods for the ailerons gluing. See photo. The JB Weld will be dry by tonight. Then I'll start doing functional tests and radio set ups. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well, it's shaping up to be a very "normal" Thanksgiving holliday here in Seattle We have heavy rains, wind, temps in the high 40's. See radar. Looks like l'll have PLENTY of time to rig those ailerons after eating turkey and stuffing. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bob Cook; Nov 22, 2011 at 07:13 PM.