HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I now have one wing completely covered. FINALLY !!!!!!!! This one came out really nice too. I never had to use the heat gun. I got really lucky. See photo. Now for the other one. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:45 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Cool Bob

Glad you like the plan looking forward to seeing what you do, my space has a 3' by 6' sign frame i'am building but once it is done my space will be open for the Phantom my fav jet fighter that is one bad looking flying machine.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:51 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Looking good Bob,I should be recovering mine in a few weeks-I'm still working a bit at a time repairing the dings and holes in the l/e sheet.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just having some C4 Krank. Here is the current status of the wings. It's blowing and raining here as usual. Time to plug in the iron. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:50 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,468 Posts
Wings

So this past weekend I was able to clear off the wing building table and start laying out the spars and ribs for the Raven wing. Oh it was a glorious sight to see all those ribs neatly spaced along the spar running the length of the table. I could see that not every rib was perfect but that is what sandpaper is for. But upon closer inspection I started to see that the smaller ribs on the outboard wing panel just didn't look right. After some head scratching and contemplating I came to the impossible conclusion that I had indeed messed up somewhere in the rib shaping phase of making my ribs.

So, over the past few evenings there has been some additional head scratching and deep contemplation on how to fix the problem. Basically all my ribs are too tall, the length is about right but, for example, the last rib is more than an 1/8th of an inch too tall. My fix for this "situation" is going to be to print the correct rib patterns from my computer and use those patterns to individually correct each rib. I know the airfoil is the Eppler 193 with 10% thickness, so printing out each rib will be easy as I can measure each rib along the plan. I know this will be some work but I think it is a necessary step to ensure the airfoil is correct.

I will try to get a few pictures uploaded so you can see what I a talking about and remember, I hand cut all my ribs myself so this should not be an issue for those of you who purchased the lasercut ribs from Tony. Did I say somewhere back in this thread that I like sanding? Well we will put that to the test over the course of the next few evenings.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:50 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear that Wayne. Try 120 grit. Here in Seattle it's realy gearing up for some rain. See Radar. I'm going to have pleanty of time to cover that last wing top.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:03 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the inboard section of the R/H wing done today. See photo. I was hoping to get it all done. BUT.................the weather forcast was way wrong. The rain went south into Oregon. We got blue skies and sun, 50 degrees and no wind. I should have gone flying. But I decided to rake up leaves in the yard again. See photo. Not to many left on the trees now, so maybe one more time and I'll have them all raked up. Foxy had a good time helping me. See photo.
I'm going to try and get the last section done tomorrow. Stay tuned.
It's time for Salmon, and Pinot Gris with Foxy.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:19 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Morning Guys,

Just having some C4 Krank, and getting going this morning. It was very cold last night, and we got our first hard frost this morning @ 29 degrees. Sunny and clear blue skies.
I'm going to start ironing the sections together. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:13 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well, after what seemed like the longest wing build in my history, I'm proud to say that the wings are covered at last. Here are 2 shots for you. Now, it's just the ailerons and the spoilers. I thought these wings were never going to get done. It's time to celebrate with Pinot Gris and cheese with Foxy.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:19 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Hi Bob

Pretty cool looking there dude, just about time to start thinking about your display pole thingy so you can admire your neat build job every day in its open air hanger.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:37 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Thanks Don, I don't think my house is big enough for a 3 meter display. Maybe 2 meter.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 06:43 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Nice work, so is Foxy taking the pics? As far as a stand, you need one of these

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:07 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Alstrahm,

Yes she is. She has a little problem getting her paw on the shutter button, but she does a pretty good job. I have one of those field boxes, but it's not on a tripod. Is that a Ravin ???

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:19 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Bob, Foxy is doing a great job No, I have gone to the dark side of soaring, I will send you a link to my new baby, via PM, so as to not muddy up this thread. Were is the fuse?

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:42 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Al,

The fuse and tail need to be built yet. But, I've got plenty of time before Spring gets here. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member