HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the top inboard section done on the left wing. It went very well. It's time for some Pinot Gris and Cheader Cheese with Foxy. We're having some salmon tonight for dinner. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:07 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,464 Posts
Hi Bob,

Welcome back to the build, your covering job is looking very nice. I have had a little more time to work on my raven and have a couple of pictures to share. I fit the hatch today and then started some rough sanding of the fuselage. I used my big disk sander to rough out the major outlines but most of the real work has been hand sanding. I have a long ways to go but here is a rough idea of the fuselage with the horizontal tail mounted. I will keep sanding the fuselage until I get the shape nice and flowing and evenly rounded. After the rough sanding I will glue on the two airfoil shaped pieces to the tail. Lots of little fussy work back there. I am still undecided about glassing the fuselage. Pluses and minuses either way.

It won't be too much longer and I will be working on the wings. It seems as though I have had those ribs cut out forever, now I will actually get to do something with them. I am going to add some carbon to the wing spars for additional strength. I am not looking for monster winch launches but it is cheap insurance against the accidental long winch tap or gust of wind on a launch.

Mike, I was planning to add flaps to my gull wing for glide path control, not thinking camber/reflex at all. Any recommendations on flap size? My thought was to make them 2" wide and run them from rib #4 out to one rib before the poly break. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:50 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Looking good guys.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:12 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Bob,

Mike, I was planning to add flaps to my gull wing for glide path control, not thinking camber/reflex at all. Any recommendations on flap size? My thought was to make them 2" wide and run them from rib #4 out to one rib before the poly break. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Wayne
Wayne, lots of sanding to go yet
Your proposals for flaps sound OK to me, but I would either give them a good range of down movement or rig them CROW with the ailerons as well, otherwise you might be creating more lift than sink.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Man that fuse is looking good. Keep up the good work. We're going to get done about Feb. Dead in the cold of Winter. It's going to be a LONG wait for Spring to test fly them.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,464 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Bob. It is fun to actually start seeing something resembling a fuselage, every swipe of the sandpaper gets me that much closer. I am placing the order for my carbon spar caps and a few other things tonight, that way I will have them when I am ready to start the wings.

Wayne
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:57 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,464 Posts
Evening everybody,

Although it may not look like it I have been busy sanding and sanding and sanding. The shop is covered in balsa dust and I can see balsa dust foot prints halfway through the house. Tomorrow I will have to open up the garage door and start blowing out the dust with my compressor. Although I am not finished sanding, I think I can see the light at the end of the dust filled tunnel. For now anyway. I haven't gotten past 220 grit yet so there are still some ridges but here are a few pictures anyway. I did work on the tail a little, I fit the brass tubes through the bellcrank and cut a couple of test joiner rods to see how well the horizontal tail fits to the fuselage. It is acceptable. I will work on the final fit when it gets closer to covering time.

I started eyeballing my ribs tonight and I put on the main wing shoulder pieces just to see what it looks like. I love it when a plan comes together. Enjoy the pictures.

Wayne
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:57 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Turning into a real looker Wayne.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:54 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

Going to finish covering the top of the L/H wing today. The weather is par for the course, see Radar. More later. I'm just having some C4 Krank.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:54 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,124 Posts
Beauty full.You will need to do a proper unveiling like an F1 car.A work of art.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,941 Posts
Hey Bob

You need to hang it up like i did my Goose so you get to enjoy it every day till the maiden, its a cool thing!!

Did you get a quilted blue shirt ?

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Don,

The shirt thing just never quite worked out for me. I'm always looking though.

I don't think I have room to hang up a 3 meter plane. To many ceiling fans.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:39 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the blue section cut to shape. I got the white section ironed onto the blue section. Now for the final iron on for this wing. See photo. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,941 Posts
I have a big lathe face plate i'am going to use for a pedistal and short pole about 36" high to set my 5 ft long F4 Phantom on so i can see it at a different level and use a ball swivel so it will be in a dive or climb or banking etc you could do the low mount too in one of your not used rooms and at least see you cool big bird during the non flying winter months.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:27 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Don,

That's a great idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member