HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:45 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Speaking of Mother Nature.............................the 44 weeks of rain here in Seattle has offically began. It has rained some part of every day this month so far. Here is the shot of the deck for ya. It's 53 and coming down hard.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:12 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Yeah you said it Don-he had done a raven in black outline form on one wing and the name raven in three color script on the other,when I get back to the project I'm just going to recover the wings and fly it.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:53 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Hi Scottie,

I can understand you being disheartened by your plane being damaged, how unfortunate. Someone told me that the lifespan of a plane is inversely proportional to the detail that goes into it. Your Raven must have been a stunner to be destined for such a short run. I know you will be able to get it fixed up whenever the spirit once again moves you, until then enjoy your other projects.

I have all the sheeting done on my fuselage and only have the hatch remaining. I probably won't have any time to work on it until next week as I am going fishing this weekend. Then there will be a flurry of balsa dust as the true fuselage shape is extracted from the blocks of wood I have glued together. I never like building fuselages, I'm always worried I am going to screw something up and end up with something resembling a banana. I do, however, like sanding and watching the final form come to life. I will try to get a before and after shot for all to see. As of now the fuselage is weighing in at 271 grams, 9.6 oz.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,042 Posts
Hi Wayne

My first plane was a Paragon that i glassed the fues then hand rubbed out the lemon yellow fuse and it was a stunner, doing great for 4 yrs and one day into the houses up side down [ got shot down ] cleaned off the tips and rudder hitting those one ought sandpaper like roofing shingles.

So i made 3' tips for a 11 footer and a bit taller rudder and it flew great as a big floater and on the 3 rd flight coming over the tennis courts to land the first day the RX died and nose down from 50ft onto the concrete so then the L.E. and spar were one piece and just wiped it out so once it out lived its great looks it sure went quick in two sundays a few weeks apart.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
Service First
United States, CT, Torrington
Joined Feb 2006
188 Posts
Plans are ordered, any size balsa I should be stocking up on?

I'm still interested in rib sets should they become available.
johnfh is offline Find More Posts by johnfh
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:56 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Plans are on their way.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:47 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Build update

So I took the weekend off and went fishing with my cousins and uncles in upper Minnesota. What fun indeed and how interesting the similarities to soaring. Some boats on the lake were fancy high powered fiberglass jobs and others were simple aluminum jobs. Regardless of what tools were being used, we were all after the elusive fish, unseen below the waters surface. You could never really know where the fish would be, reading the shore line might give you an idea as would a depth finder, but regardless of the tools it was up to each boat to decide where to cast their lines. Each cast of the pole might bring in nothing but then it might bring in a huge trophy fish, you just never know. Sounds a lot like soaring to me.

Well my fuselage is all buttoned up and now I get to do a little sanding and really bring out the curves in this plane. I did mount the horizontal tail and test for movement, feels good, moves freely and I could not get it to bind. I am going to get a before and after picture and will post them here when I get finished sanding. I am holding off on making the rudder as I am going to use it to help balance everything. If I am really tail heavy I will make a built up rudder to save weight if not I will go solid. I am also contemplating using carbon rods for the tail to help save tail weight. Anyone here have any thoughts on that? I see people using steel rods a lot for the tail rods but I can trim off a lot of tail weight by going with carbon. I am familiar with the different failure issues in the carbon rod vs. steel rod debates in main wing rods but what about tail rods?

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Oct 19, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:19 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
I've been using carbon rods in teflon sleeves and really like them. Very light for the strength and smooth too. I've been getting mine from Kennedy Composites and using the ones for the Ava on my 3 meter RES Marauder. They will help with keeping the weight down in the tail a bit. If you wanted to step em up a notch, you could get the set for the Supra. Plus they're thermally stable so they expand and contract very little if any at all and don't throw the trims off. I'm an advocate!

Forest
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:31 PM
Service First
United States, CT, Torrington
Joined Feb 2006
188 Posts
My plans showed up today, time to shop for balsa

Thanks Mike
johnfh is offline Find More Posts by johnfh
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,543 Posts
Hi Forest,

Thanks for the input but I fear I was not clear in my description. I am not talking about the rudder/elevator control rods, I already have carbon there, I am referring to the the two rods that connect the horizontal stab halves. The ones that run through the bellcrank. Any thoughts there?

Wayne
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Oh, copy that Wayne! So poor I can't even pay attention I suppose!! I would be interested in this as well. I'm rebuilding the Marauder and that would be a nice place to save a bit of weight. Though I wonder, is the weight savings worth the $$? I would imagine it would be more that strong enough in that application. Heck, I use it for the tip panel joiners(granted they are 1/4").

Still eying one of these Ravens for a future build, different design. Can't wait for a flight report from one of you guys soon!

Forest
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:33 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
AND NOW......................for the continuing Saga of Bob in Seattle builds a Ravin. The last time we saw Bob, he was taking a building break, to go fly his other planes. Summer is now over, it's blowing 25 mph and raining sideways, at 55 degrees. It's the 3ed week of the 44 weeks of rain. Now back in the building room, here's Bob.

Hi Guys,

I'm picking back up where I left off in July. I'm going to finish covering the underside of the second wing. Here is a shot of the action. I'm going to iron the pieces together on the glass, and then apply them to the wing. See photo. This works really well, but remember that the glass will eat up a lot of heat.

Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:32 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Go Bob go! I pulled the covering off one of the wing halves so I can repair the holes in some of the l/e sheeting,I figure I'll pick away at the bird here and there till its done as the glue dries on other things.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:38 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Scottie,

So sorry about the wings. Flying here is pretty much over with until May or June. I'm going to try and cover the top of one section today. We shal see how it goes. Just having some C4 Krank.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

Here is a shot of the finished under side of the wing. Now on to the top side.

Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member