HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:02 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
My wings will be back next friday from getting the paint work applied,so perhaps the maiden will be a week after that.I have my riser100 and chrisalis to fly and the snake on the bench so no need to rush the raven finishing and flight.Wayne a photo of may set up would be no help as you are not going e power but I would put the servos as far forward as you can and still have room for the battery,if you want to ballast with something other than lead use a bigger battery.The tail on the raven is rather long so you might want to hollow out the nose block some to make room for some lead shot in case you need it for ballance.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:14 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

It's been blowing hard here, 51 degrees, and raining. No flying for me. Oh well.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Should have my wings back next thursday as there was a hold up at the sign shop.Maiden soon after.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:06 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
I'm glad your that close. I'm taking a building break to do some gardening and go see some movies. Keep us posted.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:25 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

It's 50 and raining here, with some wind. So, it's another no fly weekend for me. Hope everyone else has some nice weather.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:02 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Good morning Bob,

I am out the door as I type this to go flying. Building must wait when flying weather is available. I will report back later.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:56 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Have fun Wayne.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:31 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
Hi Bob

I guess you must have sent some of your Seattle sunshine down here as yesterday it was raining in the morning here in beautiful downtown Granada Hills, we have a little mourning overcast in june but Rain, what the heck is going on with the USA weather this year someone must have fooled with Mother Nature.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:45 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Don,

June in Seattle can be cloudy and rainy, and usually is. July 5th, summer starts, unoffically. That's why, if you live here, you have to love rain. If you don't, your going to taking a lot of vacations to sunny locations or eating a lot of anti depression drugs.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:10 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Like a turtle I keep plodding along, never too fast and always thought out. I have epoxied the control carbon control rod to the clevis that will attach to the elevator bellcrank. I have double and triple checked the bell crank and how it will fit in the fin so now it is on to joining the fuselage sides. The one piece formers really helped to keep things square and a couple of 90 degree squares came in handy too. The glue will be drying tonight and the main part of the fuselage will be joined. Once that has set it will be on to closing up the fin.

The past month or so has been busy with house projects, new deck stairs and railing, clean the gutters, stuff like that. I have also been getting in some flying with my 2M Riser. I have had some really exceptional flights so far this season. I must finally be doing something right. I only have one picture for you tonight but hopefully there will be more to come.

Wayne
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Looks like your making some progress. That's more than I can say. I'm doing house maintence and gardening. It's still cloudy and in the 60's. We had one day of Summer, yesterday, it was 77 and sunny. It's over for now. Life goes on.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:20 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Hi everyone,

One of the things that I really like about building models, whether it is building from a kit or scratch, is watching the flat pieces of wood slowly transform into the plane. Within this there are certain milestones that always seem to reenergize me, for example, finishing the first wing panel or completing the entire wing. One of those milestones is when you bring the two fuselage sides together for the first time. It is at this point that those long flat pieces of wood seem to transform into something real, into something more than just the sum of its parts.

I removed the clamps today and took the fuselage off the build table and there before me was the rough beginning of my fuselage. I really like the way this looks. I am going to work on getting the fin glued up this weekend, the bellcrank set and maybe a little bottom sheeting just to stiffen it up. Slow but sure gets the job done. As Bob likes to say..... stay tuned.

Wayne
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:12 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I;d get the pushrod/bellcrank issues all sewed up and the sheet the bottom,On mine I used 1/16" ply on the bottom and its nice and stiff,for the top sheet I palned a long scarf on the 1/4" where it ties on to the doubled up 1/8" near the fin.You may want to make up some jigs from 2x4 stock to hold the fin square while you plank the top and bottom as mine wanted to twist out of line when fitting the top sheet.I used plain old elmers yellow wood glue for the sheet as it leaves plenty of time to move things about to square it all up.I should be getting to the sign shop on monday to pick up the wings for mine and then its on to the final fiddeling before giveing her a toss.I'm getting low on recievers and may order a new one just for the raven.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:12 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
Hi Scottie

Looking forward to seeing your tricked out Sign Shop'ed wings, i have planed to use the trans red & black on my E woody and after seeing your bird i made the right choice as they look good together and i will have a bit of gold for the trim color.

Got the nose block looking pretty good ready for the fuse parts now.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:27 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Work has been just too busy to get over to pick up the wings,if I can't get there today it will have to wait till tuesday as the shop will be closed for the 4th of july weekend.