HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2011, 06:03 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be flying to Denver for a week. So, once again, no work will get done on the plane over the holliday. At the rate I'm going, it will be Labor day before it's done. Oh well, life goes on.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 08:19 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Have a good trip Bob.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old May 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Bob - Have a nice trip.

Scottie - I am eager to see your build all covered and ready for flight. The maiden must be near, yes?

So what have I been up to? Lots, but not much Raven building. I repaired a 2M Riser for a friend and we are going to give it to a new sailplane pilot in our area who does not have a plane. My friend Ray got the plane used and i repaired it and got it flight worthy. I also got my hands on a basic 4 channel radio and receiver for it as this new pilot does not have a radio either. I am going to do the hand launch remaiden hopefully this weekend and then Ray and I will present it to him. I also repaired a warped wing for my father for his Alpha 60. He had damaged the d-box on the wing and then stored it standing on end for a while before I got it. By the time I got it the wing had twisted an inch and a half. It was a bugger to straighten out but it is straight and true now.

My Raven progress has been limited to finishing my stabilator pieces. I think they came out well enough. They are within 2 grams of each other at 25g and 23g respectively. I am moving onto the fuselage next and as I already have the sides cut out and shaped, the formers made and the control linkages ready it should proceed quickly.

Oh yea I have also recently come into possession of a Sig Ninja slope plane. I am going to rehab it and make it flight worthy. This way I can stop bashing my Riser on the slopes. Here are a couple of pictures to keep you interested.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; May 27, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:32 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Wayne-I need to finish the black on the wings and final fit the wing servos.I'll be going to the lhs today for more black as I messed up two pieces trying to get the lower wing trim right,cutting them in one piece eats up a lot of a roll on each one but it looks better than haveing all the seams I would get if I made them in four parts.Miaden should be about the middle of june,as I want to do it on a week day morning after school closes,that way I can get my viedo guy to come along.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:10 AM
Joined May 2011
35 Posts
I really love the gull wing design. Super dumb question here: I don't suppose there is a kit of this out there? And if not is there ever plans to do one?
Avadon is offline Find More Posts by Avadon
Old May 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Hi Avadon,

As of now there is no kit available for this plane. Plans for this plane are available through Mike Smart designs. He is located in the UK and ships the plans to you. I have a link to his website in post number two of this thread. He also watches this thread and stops in when he thinks we are going astray. I agree with you on the gull wing design, it does look awesome.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; May 29, 2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 29, 2011, 09:56 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Avadon,

You can also get the ribs laser cut as I did. The link to the guy is in the early pages of the thread. It's cheap and saves you a LOT of work. I went with the D box design instead of the full sheeting.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 06:33 PM
Joined May 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Hi Avadon,

You can also get the ribs laser cut as I did. The link to the guy is in the early pages of the thread. It's cheap and saves you a LOT of work. I went with the D box design instead of the full sheeting.

Bob in Seattle
Thanks Windipendence and Bob, i'm going to look into that. Such a neat looking aircraft.
Avadon is offline Find More Posts by Avadon
Old May 30, 2011, 07:08 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Avadon-get the plans and the lazer cut ribs and have at it!The fuse build from scratch is not hard at all,cutting the stab and wing ribs took more build time on mine than cutting the fuse parts out.If you tape the fuse stock togateher with double stick tape a small hand held jig saw will make short work of the cutting.Wayne has some parts sorced out like the stab bell crank wich would be the only hard to find part that you would get in a kit.Buy some wood and have at it.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:49 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Back at it.

I didn't want Wayne to crack the wip too hard and get hurt so here is some raven work done.The left wing is recovered and will join it's mate at the sign shop on thursday for trimming out.I had to toss in some shots of the sinbad I built while I waited for more raven covering,42"span 198sq" and a whopping 6oz with battery.Next after the raven from Rue's corner of the blue plaid skunk works will be a 1/2 size cobra.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:33 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Mike - I have started working on the fuselage of my Raven and I am trying to plan out where the servos will go. Do you have any recommendations on servo position? Do you have a interior fuselage picture you can share? Additionally, on average how much weight has been needed in the nose to get previous Ravens to balance?

Wayne
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:29 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Mike - I have started working on the fuselage of my Raven and I am trying to plan out where the servos will go. Do you have any recommendations on servo position? Do you have a interior fuselage picture you can share? Additionally, on average how much weight has been needed in the nose to get previous Ravens to balance?

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

As I recall the rudder and elevator servos were positioned just in front of the wing LE, but sorry I have no photos. I don't recall any significant amount of weight being added to the nose, virtually just the weight of the 4 cell receiver nicad balanced it.
This will probably not apply to yours though as it is an electric conversion I believe and presumably you have a relatively heavy motor up front and a flight pack to locate somewhere.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 03, 2011, 05:37 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Wayne I'll get a photo of the inside of mine in the morning and post it.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:52 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I have gone back and forth on the electric vs string launch and have decided to build it string launch only. I have stopped making other claims about finish, wing style or anything else as my vision keeps changing but the motor decision is final.

Wayne
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:55 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm back from Denver. I'm just trying to get caught up on stuff around here. It's 75 and sunny. I should be flying, but I'll be doing yard work, chores and running errands.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member