HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2011, 09:54 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Windy! will she be ready for rusty thumbs? night night!
Good morning Captain,

It can safely be said that my Raven will not be ready in time for the Rusty Thumbs Spring Tuneup. I have stopped making predictions as to when it will be finished, just like a fine wine, fine aircraft building cannot be rushed. . The Riser will be there along with the Mystery Man and the Pulsar. I will also be bringing a Radian for people to try out. The Rochester Soaring group is having a summer long "contest" around the Radian. It basically goes like this, come fly the Everything Hobby Radian, log 60 minutes of unpowered flight time between now and mid August and your name will be thrown into a hat. Late August I will draw a name out of the hat and that person will win a brand new Radian Pro.

Not a bad deal, we are basically trying to encourage people to try soaring. It should be fun.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 11:39 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,669 Posts
By Golly Wayne! I have 175 bucks from my royalty quarter, so I think I find another 75 bucks put into my own Radian! yepper fer sure! Now then, do I want a pro or 'regular'??!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old May 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi Johnny,

From everything I have read about the different Radian models I don't believe one is really any better than the other as far as thermaling goes. The Pro is a wee bit heavier and you obviously get to fiddle with camber and flaps but the simple R/E plane is hard to beat when it comes to relaxed flying. If you already have a charger, batery and a RX you can get either one for roughly what you have now. The original Radian goes for 175 and the Pro goes for 189 as a PNP version.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old May 13, 2011, 12:10 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
Go with the bendy wings Cap'n!!! You won't be upset with it and it'll thermal on a mouse fart. The Pro takes a bit of fiddling to thermal as well, but it does handle wind better.

PS--- I'm actually higher than Buzz too!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old May 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,669 Posts
Thanks guys!:
Hoss! I like the mousefart part- if I keep talkin' to it, it shouldn't come down! I need some relaxin'- and flight- as i'll be working tomorrow as well! Maybe 4th of July for the C- but I did say the same about last years' bird too!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old May 14, 2011, 08:44 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
My transparent red has yet to show up the vendor sent trans orange instead!Looks like it will be tuesday before I get the red stuff.I took time out from the sinbad build to finish up the aileron servo fitting and push rods and took the right wing to the sing shop for the lettering.With luck I should be able to recover the left wing nights through the week and get my sign guy to paint the trim so I can give her a toss next weekend.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old May 14, 2011, 09:53 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI Guys,

I'm going to try and get the bottom of the wing covered today. It all depends on when the rain arrives. It's suposed to get here tonight. It's going to pour all day Sunday. I should get it done. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2011, 09:47 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well, I didn't get anything done today on the plane. It was actually the nicest day of the year so far. We had 65 and sunny all day. I planted Japineese Maples and bamboo all day long. Here is a shot of the morning sky. I should of went flying.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 05:05 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,119 Posts
I think we had the weather that was supposed to be in your locale. Cold and rainy all day yesterday, windstorm and heavy rain all night. My wife told me they had a bunch of tornados touching down only a few miles from our farm. None of that up here in Saginaw, but the weather was/is most definitely not good for outdoor flying.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old May 15, 2011, 09:47 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Don,

Yup, that was our weather alright. It found it's way back here though. It's raining and 50. We get very small tornados here, now and then. They are about the size of dust devils in the desert. They only last a few minutes.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 10:39 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,119 Posts
Would you like some of ours? We have REAL ones here. Strong enough to thermal a school bus, although thankfully not as often as they have out in places like Kansas. Still, you're welcome to have some of them if you'd like.

I remember clearly April 4, 1974. From the top floor of our hi-rise dorm in Cincinnati we watched the storms and the occasional funnel cloud marching towards us from Kentucky, just across the Ohio river, like an advancing army. Someone at another window saw a funnel cloud drop down right over the girls' dorm right next to ours, then disappear back up into the cloud. Then they sent us all down to the designated shelter area in the basement, where we spent the next several hours listening to pocket radios. It was like living through "The War of the Worlds" - "They've hit St. Bernard!" "They wiped out Xenia!!"

About four years later I was taking flying lessons toward my Single Engine Land rating (I already had my private license in sailplanes then), at a little grass airport between Dayton and Cincinnati. We were working on night flying. On a clear night, visual navigation can actually be easier in some regards than during the day. For each town of any significant size there is a yellow blotch printed on the sectional charts, and at night the blotch on the ground formed by the lights of the town is the same shape as the blotch on the chart.

Except Xenia.

Even that many years later, Xenia still looked like a billiard ball, a round yellow blotch on the ground, with a half-mile wide black stripe right through the middle of it, marking where the tornado had gone through.

Don
(who is wearing his blue plaid shirt today, and might try flying his little electric heli in the living room in a little while)
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; May 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:22 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Don,

That's really scarry stuff. I've seen the videos. No thanks. If you wearing the shirt, the flights will be fine.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 09:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well, the whole darn weekend was a total loss. Nothing got done on the plane. It did rain 1.75 inches though. Maybe next weekend.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
The bottom of the wing is trans red again and waiting for the black trim.The wife says I have to be yard slave today so I maght get to the trim next week.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:20 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Some of the trim is on but work has ben crazy so the bird won't fly this weekend.I have monday off and if the wife lets me be I might finish the bird.