HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:04 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
OOPS, never mind, it was in the first post, although it only shows ailerons, no flaps.

If you have both, it could be advantageous to droop the ailerons about half as much as the flaps at thermalling deflections only.

Use of "crow" (flaps down, ailerons up) may or may not be a good idea. On the Spectre 120 we found that deflecting the ailerons up took away most of the roll control, as did any more than a small amount of down aileron. For landing, we ended up with about 80 degrees down flaps and 10 degrees down aileron to get the best overall combination of steep approach angle and slowest possible flying speed, while still maintaining excellent control response.

If you do not have flaps, like the 3-view in post #1, the you should NOT deflect the ailerons down to act as flaperons. Doing that would act like adding wash-IN to the wing, giving you some really "interesting" tip stall characteristics. In this case "interesting" is most definitely NOT a good thing! In addition, besides the wash-in problem, it would also mess up the lift distribution along the wing and reduce performance.

As far as deflecting the ailerons up to act as "spoilerons", again you're on dangerous ground. More than a small amount of deflection is likely to cause the lower surface flow on them to separate, which could hurt your control response, just like we found on the Spectre 120.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the first wing glassed at the break. See photo. The epoxy went off before I was able to blott it. Life goes on. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
The second wing went a lot better than the first. I used a slower epoxy. I had time to blott it as well. A little sanding and we will be ready for servo locations. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:37 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
More iron work.

Thanks Don thats pretty much what I thought the case would be but I had to ask.I'll use the prop for a brake like I do with my B.O.T.,I didn't build in spoilers but I have more than enough room to land at the school field.Got some covering done and I find that one more roll of black is in order.I thought I had a roll on the closet shelf but it turned out to be dark blue,some day I need to hang a light in there!The undercamber coverd well useing my trim iron to stick the covering to the rib bottoms before shrinking the rest of it.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
Scottie!
now I can mention that I think there's bent prop a couple pics ago!- one is not in line with the other! inspections are needed! Lookin' great G men!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:08 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I only got both wings glassed this weekend. Not a lot of progress. But, sometimes other things get in the way. It's still 50 and raining here, so plenty of time left in the 44 weeks of rain.
It's time for Pinot Gris and cheese with Foxy.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

It's a new weekend, and so, here we go. I'm just having some C4 Krank to get me all reved up. I'll finish sanding the join area on the second wing this morning. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the glass all sanded. Now putting in the left wing aileron servo. See photo. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

OK the R.H side is in too. See photo. I used Shoe Goo, so it's going to take a while to set up. Then I'll do the spoiler servos. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:07 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

Hay look .............we're having a brief sun break !!!!

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:59 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

The first spoiler servo is gluing in now. See photo. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:46 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I took a brief break and ran out and mowed the grass. Foxy said it was to tall for her. Now it's time for Pinot Gris and cheese with her. See ya tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:07 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I have most of the transparent red on the wings and am waiting for more black to show up for the trim,think I'll start the aileron servo installs as well.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:55 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Way to go Scottie. I'm going to do the other spoiler servo this morning and then on to some basic covering as well. But I have to have some C4 Krank first !!!

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:16 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

The last spoiler servo is in and gluing. See photo. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member