HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:39 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
... I have no doubt that there have been many group builds here on RCGroups. The biggest one that I am aware of took place over in the electric soaring thread a couple of years ago. If I am not mistaken close to 20 people participated in that one when they built a Chrysalis 2M glider. It is very possible that there were more than that building but not everyone posted on their builds....
I think pretty much everybody participated in the discussions, although not everyone posted photos or details of their own plane. Altogether I think it was a little over 40 people in the original group, with some additions later on.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Jul 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:03 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi Wayne
Thanks for your Raven invite down the road, its a small world that you bring up hot rods . I raced a 37' Chevy B/Gasser in the 60's and it was lost for 25 yrs then found right over the hill from me , The Editor at Rod & Custom mag bought the car and i still had the 327' engine so i gave it to him and the same kind of deal he had to put his changes into the car and screwed it all up. He even wanted to run it on the street with my name still on the door a very bad deal if he would hit someone [ i evern asked Don Garlits about that and he said NO WAY you will be in court too ] so it did not end too good but the car will now be around for awhile now so that is a good thing . It was featured in Dec. 65' hot rod mag the car is on my facebook page under Don Nowell , each person has their own way of doing things and that is what is the fun part of building these planes. Hot Rods & gliders pretty cool stuff to play with.

Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:50 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,972 Posts
I can't wait to start this one.I've looked over the plans and the thing that jumps out at me is the need for a wider T/E for the wings that will have a sheeted D-box only.Once I get new bearings in the router I'll set up the T/E jig and run some up.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Aug 05, 2010, 10:33 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Hi Guys,

I wrote Tony and will let you know as soon as I hear from him. He does travel and so there might be a bit of a time lag.

Bob in Seattle
Hi Bob,

Any news from Tony on if he is willing to cut different airfoils for the build?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 05, 2010, 11:43 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
HI Wayne,

Not yet. But he told me that he has to travel for his job from coast to coast. It could be a while before we hear from him.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:07 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
657 Posts
Raven fuses

I just talked to Jerry Slates, he has a few fuses left over from when he was making fuses, but they got sold when he moved to California from Tx.

I got the gents name and phone number but its discomnected, and its been a few years since.

If I find something I'll let you guys know.
Gordy
Lousiville today
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:22 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
Hi Gordy,

Thanks for being on the lookout. In my research on this plane I did see that at sometime in the past there was someone making fuses for it. Like you, I could not locate any of them. If only the origional mold could be found...

Wayne
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:57 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,295 Posts
Parts update

Hello all,

Two weeks ago I said I would report back on a nice looking bell crank I found. Well let me tell you that there is no report to be given due to the USPS losing it. You gotta love em. So I contacted Don, explained that no bell crank and horns arrived and he promptly shipped out another set. Hopefully this one will make it to Minnesota. I know we are close to Canada but we are still a US territory.

As I have been going through the build in my head, and with some depron (more on that later), I have been trying to determine what all I will need for the build. One of the things I would like some feedback on is servos. Right now my largest plane is a 28oz 2 meter plane. The Raven will undoubtedly require larger, more powerful servos. What are some of you going to use for the wing servos? The Hi-tech HS-125MG wing servos look nice along with the HS-5125MG. I have also been looking at the MKS DS450MG servos. Opinions welcome.

Also, what are you going to use for the pull pull rudder system? I have seen, here on RCGroups, everything from cables to 50lb firewire to kevlar thread used. Have any of you had any experiences using any of the above? Is there one system that is generally better accepted?

Lastly, for now anyway, have any of you thought of using an RDS install for the wing servos? I like the idea of a totally enclosed system but there again I have no experience with it. Opinions welcome.

Hopefully most of you have your plan by now and have had some time to look them over. I have mine hanging on my shop wall so I can look at it every time I go into the garage. Lets spend a little time going over some of the details now so we don't get to building and think "oh, I should have thought of that before". Personally I hate it when that happens.

Wayne
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,795 Posts
I am not a fan of pull-pull tail linkages. Besides the fact that the failure probabilities are worse, the stiffness for a given total linkage weight is not as good as for conventional pushrods. In effect, you have two linkage systems, one pulling one way and the other pulling the ther way, and each contributes stiffness in only the direction it pulls, so some of the stiffness of the linkage elements is wasted. You can partly get around this by preloading the cables to a higher tension, but then you have high steady loads going into the control surface hinges, the servo mounts, etc.. Also, things like temperature and humidity changes can mess up the preload.

Pull-pull can be very light if you don't have to worry about linkage stiffness, such as on a very low speed indoor model. However, on something like this model, the risk of flutter makes the pull-pull approach less appropriate.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:18 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I don't like pull pull either. I'll just use a push rod. The wing servos I like are the same as you, HS-125MG. For the rudder and stab, I'll go with HS-82MG.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:41 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,795 Posts
On our Spectre 120 open-class contest ship we used .030" carbon rod pushrods running in that yellow nylon tubing that comes with the small Sullivan cables. Worked great!
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:46 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,567 Posts
HI Don,

Where did you get the .030 carbon rods ???

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,795 Posts
From the manufacturer. However, you should be able to get them through a kite store that specializes in that sort of thing.

Goodwinds (who bought Avia Sport) has it in 48" lengths:
http://www.goodwinds.com/goodwinds/m...lidroundcarbon
Old Aug 07, 2010, 04:18 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
The pull-pull rudder linkage works absolutely fine. At the end of the day the Raven 3m is not a F3F model. I have never had a cable failure, but if you did have a rudder failure it wouldn't be the end of the world on a model with ailerons.
I use pull-pull on 2500W electric 3D models without any problems, so I can't see there being any risk of flutter on a glider as long as it is installed properly. I certainly never had any issues on my Raven 3m.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Aug 07, 2010, 06:51 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,972 Posts
Hs 125 wing and hs 82mg tail same as Bob,if I go with the pull/pull I'll use some of the down rigger cable I have laying about.Most likley I'll just go the lazy guy option and use nyrods for the tail.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1