HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:59 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Scottie,

I filled the bottom of one side already. I'll wait to do the others. Thanks.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:38 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,411 Posts
Good morning all,

Today is a day of building for me. It is overcast, windy and is supposed to rain. I have the house all to myself today, and yesterday, so let the balsa bashing commence. Originally I had planned to build all weekend long but yesterday was much nicer than the weatherman predicted so instead of building I went flying.

The Riser was just itching to stretch its wings so I took it out. The wind was blowing just a little bit more than I was expecting to I decided to try light wind sloping. Lets just say it did not go as well as planned. I forgot that my thumbs were a little rusty and I forgot that trees emit their own special gravitational pull towards model planes. The damage was minor and was able to be field patched with some packing tape. I ended up going to my favorite field and setting up the hi-start and had a marvelous time flying the thermals. I had to bail out of one because the Riser was getting too small too fast, I am glad I built it with spoilers. I flew for 3 hours, longest flight was only 6 and 1/2 minutes but I was launching off my short field hi-start so launches were only 250' at best. I really love this hobby.

So back to today. I am going to add a plywood doubler to where I have the splice joint on the fuselage and then, while the epoxy is curing, I am going to work on building the horizontal tail pieces. I will also be repairing the Riser in between there somewhere. As Bob likes to say, stay tuned

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Apr 03, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:59 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
I took the se5a out this morning and ran down 2 packs as the cat broke the stab on my riser 100 and the chrysalis needs some cleaning and a few winter wrinkles taken out.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:26 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
HI Wayne,

WOW, what a field !!! I'd have to drive for a LONG time to go to a field like that around here. Glad you got some flying in.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:41 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,411 Posts
Hi Bob,

I do consider myself very lucky. the best part about it is that it is only a 10 minute drive from my house and there is almost no chance of it being developed anytime soon. The local cannery uses the field to disperse its water, apparently it has too much starch in it for the city treatment facility so they pump the water out to these fields. So I get a watered and mowed field. The best part is that what you see here is only half of the field I didn't bother taking pictures of the other half. I have worked for 2 years to get permission and to stay on the good side of the field manager.

Wayne
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:35 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Color for the tail.

As I'm sick of sanding I thought I'd cover the stab.Now I just need to do this three more times,then its on to the wings.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:52 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Scottie,

Very nice indeed. It's gonna look good.

Wayne,

I have a serious case of field envy.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 04:02 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the last top skin on the RH wing. See photo. Just 2 more to make for the other wing and the sheeting will be done. YAH !!! Only one thing worse than sheeting, shear webs !!!! Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

The last 2 pieces of top sheeting are on and gluing. FINALLY, I am done with sheeting. Now on to glassing the break area. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:58 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
WOW, I just noticed I now have 6,666 posts. Amazing indeed.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:11 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

It's time for Pinot Gris and cheese with Foxy. See you next weekend.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:16 AM
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Joined Aug 2010
183 Posts
Excellent progress Bob - but you're about to be in the same boat as me: sitting there with a finished plane and no fit weather to try it! Very frustrating...

Neil
barnlop is offline Find More Posts by barnlop
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:11 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,411 Posts
Bob and Scottie, you guys are really making nice progress. Keep up the good work, I bet both of you will be maidening your planes by summer. My progress continues, I got the fuselage doubler shaped and epoxied into place over fuselage side splice. Balsa is such a pleasure to sand and cut, plywood on the other hand is another story indeed. I also started to make the trailing edge pieces for the tail. I searched through my box of balsa, located a suitable piece of wood and ripped it to width. I am going to use a steel rod and the edge of my building table to set the proper bevel. I know I could have probably just gone to the store and purchased some TE stock but I am trying to make everything I can. As usual here are a couple pictures. Everyone likes pictures, right?

Wayne
Old Apr 05, 2011, 06:37 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Hi Wayne,

Re the splice, do I assume that you guys don't get 4 foot long sheets of ply over there?

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Apr 05, 2011, 08:44 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,411 Posts
Hi Mike,

Yes we can get 48" wide pieces of plywood here. My original plan for my build was to fashion interchangeable nose pieces so I could easily switch between an electric powered plane and a traditional string launched plane. I liked the idea, and still do, but changed my mind after I had cut out the sides. Not wanting to cut new sides I simply spliced on the nose piece. Between the plywood doubler and a little fiberglass on the outside it should be strong enough.

This decision is also going to impact my final finish on the fuselage. With a big epoxied seam up in the nose, my natural wood finish may need some rethinking. I may end up painting or covering the fuselage and still have the natural wood finish on the wings. I was having problems getting the natural wood finish to match between the balsa and plywood in my tests anyway.

Wayne