Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Thanks Bob-Wayne as to the servo power on mine I'll be useing a nima pack of 4 aa size cells as I need the nose weight.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:30 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Hey guys, the builds are looking awesome! I don't have internet at home and they frown on excessive personal use at work so I haven't been very active on RCG, still drop in every now and then though.

I like the cowl Scottie, and you could use it for a plug to shrink a plastic one with a juice bottle and hot air gun if you wanted. Definitely have to go that way on my next build, whenever that is.

How are the APC folders? I've yet to talk to anyone down here that has used one.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:37 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Hi Nick-The APC folders work fine for me and have the advantage of being fairly cheap.I may shrink a cowl,it all depends on the final balance.I broke my thumb when a transmission slipped off the jack after the safety chain broke and have a few days to work on the bird,so I might shrink a cowl in case I need it.Yesterday I fitted a small hardwood block tapped for a 4-40 set screw to each of the stab halves to retain them to the wire shaft,and the c/g backed up a bit even though they are small 1/4x1/4x1/2" blocks.Today I'll putz with the rudder servo and push rod install and see how useing the drill works with a busted right thumb.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:17 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Good morning guys. It's 38 this morning in Seattle, the sun is starting to come up and it's clear out. I'm just having some C4 Krank.
I'm going to try and get the inner top skin pannel on the wing today. The only problem might be the sun. So far this month, we have had TWICE the normal rain fall and below normal temps. If today is 50 and sunny as predicted, I may go out and do some gardening.
Sorry about your thumb Scottie. Good to see you Nick.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,404 Posts
Good morning everyone,

Just thought I would chime in here with the others. My right hand fuselage side is off the building board and the left hand side is pinned down and being worked on. I ordered my fuselage servos yesterday and they should be delivered to the hobby shop next week. If things go well this weekend I should have the second fuselage side all built up and off of the building board. Then I can start getting the fuselage sides glues up. I have the bellcrank assembly all ready to go so it aught to be an orderly smooth progression to a full fuselage.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the skin cut and fitted. See photo. It actually just fell into place. I couldn't believe it. Now for the glue. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:50 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

A minor set back. There was no place for the outboard end of the skin to sit on. The 13 th rib was supporting the end of the other skin. So, I had to make a second fake rib to support the end of the inboard skin. See photo. Good thing I ordered a second set of ribs in the beginning of this project. I just used the AOG Spare rib to make the outline for the extra rib needed. Let's hear it for AOG Spares !!! Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

OK I got the skin on and gluing. See photos. It's time for lunch. Then I might go out in the yard for a bit until the glue dries. It's 50 and sunny here. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,404 Posts
Hi Bob,

Your sheeting is looking very vine indeed. It is a very nice day here also and has been for the last week or so. A lot of our snow has melted, I think I may be flying by April. Good thing the Riser and Pulsar are good to go because my Raven is a long way from flying. You are creeping up on wing covering time, do you have all your covering ready?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Mar 19, 2011, 02:03 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I have enough to get started. I think I'll be OK, but it will be close. I'll keep you posted.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:45 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the inboard leading edge on and sanded today. See photo. Now I have to do the small sheets at the break and the root for the covering to sit on. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Looking fine Bob!I've got the rudder and stab servos in place and have the rudder push rod started.What I need to do now is inlay a small plywood block into the rudder for the screws for the control horn to go into so I don't have to have the ugly nut plate sticking out.Wayne-what are you useing for the elevator push rod?I used the 1/16" sized Suliven cable for mine and silver soildered the clivise at the bell crank end to the cable and soildered the clivise shut as well.For the pull/pull rudder set up you may want to mount the stab servo off to one side and mount the rudder servo ahead of it on the fuse center line and about 1/8to1/4" higher up from the fuse bottom to have room for the linkage.I also think that perhaps the rudder cables should exit the sides of the fuse about 1" ahead of the stab bell crank so there is no chance of them buggering up the works.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
The stab and rudder servos are fitted and the throws set as per Mike's specs,now I can pull them back out and get on with the rest of the sanding and then the first coats of dope.You can't tell from the photo but the stab push rod has been knurlled to give the push rod connector set screw more to grip.The push rod connector has been peaned to the arm with a back up washer and soldered to the washer for good measure.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Still sanding!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

Looks like were in for 2 days of rain here. I'll be gluing top skins on the second wing. But now, it's time for Pinot Gris and cheese with Foxy.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member