Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Scottie and Bob,

Just a quick question for you. Given that the Raven has 6 servos what kind of speed controller are you going with? Are you going to go with a higher end ESC like a Jeti Spin that has a switching BEC built in and is rated for lots of servos. Or are you going to go with a lesser ESC like a Castle Creations Thunderbird and add a separate BEC to power the Rx and servos.

Oh Jedi masters share your wisdom.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:06 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I'm going with the Phoenix 35 and the CC-BEC 10 amp.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:00 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Well I got a little more done so I thought I would post an update. First let me state for the record that the Raven fuselage has very few straight lines in it. Very curvy, and spruce is not very bendy and it does not like pins. That said, I got some of the 1/8 x 1/4 stock glued up to one side of the fuselage and I started fitting the formers to the fuselage. I did not want to cut the notches in the formers until I could test the fit.

I also made the tail plane ribs, again using the stack method. After shaping the 50+ ribs for the main wings, the 14 little ones needed for the tail were easy. Slowly chugging along, I am really trying to get a little done every couple of days, baby steps.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 15, 2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar. Must have been tired when I posted
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Well got a little more done so i thought I would post an update. First let me state for the record that the Raven fuselage has very few straight lines in it. Very curvy, and spruce is not very bendy and it does not like pins. Wayne
It works OK if you stick the pins either side of it Wayne.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Hi Mike,

That is what I ended up doing with the spruce pieces. I used a pile of pins to make an outline of the fuselage side and then I pressed the spruce up to it and glued it.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Mar 15, 2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:30 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Say Mike another question for you. I think I am the only one using the pull pull rudder and I have a question about the holes in the fuselage where the cable exits. Do those holes/slots need to be reinforced with anything to protect the fuselage from cable chafing?

Wayne
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:22 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Scottie,

Would you be willing to snap a closeup picture of your spinner and how it blends into the nose? Also what sized spinner are you using? I think you mentioned it earlier but I am too lazy to go search for it. 42mm rings a bell.

Wayne
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Looks great Wayne. I'm going to start my inboard leading edge, top section next.

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:44 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,975 Posts
Wayne-I'll get a shot and post it in the am on thursday,I have a 1 3/4" dubro spinner in place for now as I'm still looking for the slim jim spinner that I have stashed somewhere.The slim jim spinner is also 1 3/4" dia but is about 1" longer than a standard spinner and should make the nose look better if I can find it.The slim jim was a Fox mfg. product and I don't think they are made any more.There are some long profile spinners that the control line stunt guys use but to use either the dubro or any of the other units you need to use an APC prop as the blades mount to a hub rather than the spinner.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:14 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Thanks Scottie,

I am more interested in seeing how you blended the fuselage into the spinner.

Wayne
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:48 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Say Mike another question for you. I think I am the only one using the pull pull rudder and I have a question about the holes in the fuselage where the cable exits. Do those holes/slots need to be reinforced with anything to protect the fuselage from cable chafing?

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Not in my experience, the ply sides are OK to resist any wear.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:58 PM
Lambertville,nj, usa
Joined May 2000
349 Posts
A quick question if you don't mind. What is the thickness of the ply sides of the fuselage?

Thanks,

Ed
ED B is online now Find More Posts by ED B
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:48 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,439 Posts
Hi Ed,

The plywood sides are 1/16" thick.

Wayne
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:08 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,975 Posts
Mike tells us that sailplanes don't have cowls,most of the time any way.I could have reversed the shaft in the motor and mounted it from the front but the wire clearance would have been too tight going past the bell of the motor so the firewall mount won out.I used the same set up on my riser 100 and it works fine,as with the riser the cowl will be held on with 1/4" wide pin stripeing tape and a pair of alighnment pins.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:20 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Scottie,

Looking really good. I'm still struggleing with the top skins on the D box.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member