HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:30 AM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Washout?-we don't-etc

Bob

You could use the same trick the Aquilla used-progressive blunting of the leding edge toward the tips. This gives virtual washout without a twist in the wing.

Bob
Sweet-ole-Bob is offline Find More Posts by Sweet-ole-Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:34 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,027 Posts
If the "box" (the D-tube sheeting) isn't completely closed yet, then you don't have a problem. Just make sure you have it shimmed into the precise twist you want before you add the last piece of sheeting. That last piece of sheeting is what locks everything in.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:34 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Bob,

OK, but I don't have any idea what your talking about. Can you explain a little further.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:36 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Thanks Don, how much twist do you suggest ???

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:37 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,027 Posts
That's a question for the designer. How much washout do they call for on the plans?
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:48 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
HI Mike,

What is your suggestion for washout on the outboard wing sections ??

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:04 AM
Chandler, Az.
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
Bob:

washout is based on a change in the mean chord line of the airfoil-definded as the line drawn from the center aof curvature of the leading edge to the trailing edge. As the radius of curvature for the leading edge increases, the mean chord line moves up, just the same as twisting the wing, but without a physical twist. The Aquilla wing is built flat on a board with capstrips and D-sheeting, so the easiest way to introduce washout was to increase the radius of the leading edge progressively to the tips (usually 2-3 bays were enough) which reduced the problem to one of sanding.

Hope this helps.

Bob (in Phoenix)
Sweet-ole-Bob is offline Find More Posts by Sweet-ole-Bob
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:08 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Thanks Bob, I see what you mean now.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:20 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Started on the wing tips and I have to tell Mike that I'm sorry but I left the curl off the tips because I'm just a lazy carver.Most of the time I make tips from triangle stock cut to the ribs airfoil contour ala the riser type and call it a day,at least these have a bit more shape.Bob I think Mike said a few pages back that the washout is either 5mm or 5/32" I'll have to look back through and find the post.I forgot to build it in so I'll have to give the tips a twist and shrink treatment when I cover the wing.Not the best answer but it will have to do.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Looks good Scottie. I'm not a carver or a sander. Mine don't have the curl either. But they look OK.
It was a beautiful day here in Seattle. 55, sunny, scattered clouds, nice breeze, I spent most of the day out in my yard getting ready to move 3 small Japineese Maples tomorrow. March is crunch time for gardeners.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Not much more done but I did get the servo rails for the rudder/elevator in and some more sanding done.Bob what happened to the photos of the garden show and the blonde?
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:50 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Scottie,

Well, the blonde wasn't in the mood for photos that day. The garden show was OK but nothing to rave about. So, there aren't any photos worth sharing. Sorry Scottie.

BIG storm today. High winds, mud slides, trees down, power outtages, not good. AND lot's of rain.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:09 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

It's supposed to rain all weekend. No suprises there. So I will attempt to get some more of the wings done. I'm going to run wires and glue servos. Maybe set some throws.
It's been a long week at work. It's time for some Pinot Gris and cheese with Foxy.

Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:05 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm stuck in programing land. I tried to set up aileron diff. on my radio. I haven't done that in years. I tried to use my notes from last time. No good. I tried useing the manual. No good. I tried calling Horizon. Can't get through.
I did get the spoilers to work OK. Life goes on.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got them to work, but they are plugged into ch. 2 and 5. on the receiver. Ch 2 is usually the rudder. The rudder is now on ch 4 on the reciever. I have no clue why. But, they are working like they are supposed to, except for the strange plug in positions on the receiver. Confused.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member