HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:35 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I forgot to glue the rest of the sheeting to the bottom of the ribs. Doing that now. THEN on to the sub leading edge. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:24 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

OK, NOW the sub-leading edge is going on. See photo. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the sub leading edge on and sanded flush. Now the leading edge is going on. See photo. Stay tuned.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:05 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
got some of the fuse planked up photos soon.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Got some shapeing done on the bird.The cowl sides and spinner ring are 1/16"ply with 1/2" balsa top section and 1/4" balsa bottom and 1/2 triangle stock inside to tie the works together.The spinner is an old one of many that I keep around to use for sanding guides.The regular spinner profile makes the nose look a bit short but I know I have an old Fox slim jim spinner the right size some place that I need to find.The slim jim is about 1" longer than the Dubro one shown and should help the looks of the nose to be closer to the stock outline.now its time to start filling any small gaps and dings to get ready for the finish.The fuse will be finished in black dope with a bit of black silk applied to the bottom to help repell any landing rash,I fly off grass all the time so I see no need to dig out the epoxy and glass for this one.time to mix up some filler from sigment,sanding dust and some automotive paint retarder to slow the drying time.The first 2 coats will be clear dope thined 50/50 followed by enough coats of clear with cornstarch added to fill all the pores in the wood then one more 50/50 clear a sand with 600 grit paper used wet and 2 coats of black thinned 35% for spraying through my detail gun.After a few weeks to cure I'll rub it out with 3M micro fine compound by hand to level out the orange peal and then wax the bugger.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Looking good Scottie. I had to go to work today and help the guys work on a "late" airplane. No falling behind allowed. Now it's pouring warm rain from Hawaii. See Radar.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:40 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,483 Posts
Hi Scottie, I like the way you tapered the little fuselage stub below where the rudder will go. I was planning to do the exact same thing. Are you going to go with a solid rudder per the plans or are you going to use a built up rudder? You are making very nice progress.

I have my plywood ribs almost finished. Once completed I should make some noticeable progress on the wings.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:53 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Hi Wayne-I'm not sure about the rudder yet,as the bird is right now it looks like the c/g will be real close to spot on without any lead in the nose as with the motor and battery in place and the stab and a soilid rudder taped on its about 3/16" forward of the plan.When I cover the stab it may fall right in place,if its a bit to the rear I may let the rudder talk to a couple of hole saws or go with a built up one to get it back in line.Hows that for a long winded I don't know?The slim jim spinner also wieghs more than the dubro shown so I might have to stick a 1/4oz or so of lead in the tail.Bob-to bad you had to waste a good rainy building day on work.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:09 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne & Scottie,

I'm off work today !!! I should be able to get something done. I have to watch the Sea Hawks play the Bears though. It's still pouring warm rain from Hawaii. See Radar. I'll let you know when the blue plaid tape arrives.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Got the stab set up today,for those who have not done a full flying stab heres how I handle the beast.The reference line for the stubs that hold the bushings is drawn when the fuse sides are first laid out and is remarked as need if any sanding starts to remove it.The holes for the bushings are drilled to size with a piece of the same tube they will be made from that has been sanded down a bit in diameter in my cordless drill.so the final bushings will be a slight press fit.The holes in the airfoil shaped stubs are drilled a little over size and countersunk on the inside to hold epoxy.The bushings are left over long and scored with a small 3 corner file so they can be snapped off later.The wire that passes through the works is marked with the file to reference where to place it to snap the bushings off.To assemble the works-slide the stubs part way on to the over lenth bushings and fill the counter sinks and coat the inside face with slow epoxy and slide it down against the fin on the mark,repeat for the other side and tape the mess in place until the epoxy starts to get nice and gummy.Once the epoxy gums up enough not to run pull the wire out to one of the reference marks and snap off the bushing then do the same to the other side,now before the epoxy gets any harder slide the stab halves on the wire and shift the alignment as needed to get it square and level and weight or clamp everything in place untill it cures.Once it cures you can sand the bushings to lenth.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:21 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
The bushings are sanded and the stab halves fitted so it's time to start the fitting of the other aileron(the right one is yet to be cut free from the wing) then its on to the last little bits before covering the wing and tail feathers.The fuse will have to wait for it to warm up some as the wife won't let me use dope in the house.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:23 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,595 Posts
Scottie! How heavy is the tail? Mine is 1 OZ with e and R included?!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:32 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Hi capt-I haven't weighed the thing yet but I wasn't too woried about it with the battery and motor going up front and the bird haveing a long nose.With the 1/16"ply spar and the blocking to hold the tubes for the mounting wires I figure it has to be at least 2.5-3oz.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:08 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,483 Posts
Scottie, you are really coming along with your build. You will be doing a final weight and balance before I even get my wings put together. On that note I was able to sneak back into the garage this evening and I got the plywood ribs sanded to shape and the spar notches cut out of them. I may just get a wing framed up yet.

My job has really done a 180 degree turn over the past 2 months. 6 day weeks and evening work seem to be more the norm now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I would rather be busy than the alternative, but it is digging into my evening build time. Remember I said I was going to be the last one finished with their build and it looks like it will be true.

At least now I can start to see real progress, nothing like seeing a wing take shape on the building board to motivate you. No pictures tonight, besides the plywood ribs look just like the balsa ones only they were a lot harder to sand.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm still out here in Seattle. I've had an awful cold and felt louzy. Nothing got done this week.

I did get a balsa shipment of wood and the Blue Plaid Squadron tape arrived.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member