HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:01 PM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Alright everyone, I have been talking with Tony and he is good to go. So here is the deal. As of this moment I have the following people wanting laser cut ribs:
  1. KickAce 2 sets
  2. FoamCrusher 1 set
  3. HirCer 1 set

I am sending you 3 a PM with Tony's contact information. He is expecting you. All of you want the same rib sets, D-box sheeting of the original airfoil. Mention Bob or me, Wayne, and he will give you the discounted price. He has stated that his laser cutting time is limited but this should be more than enough time to get them by the start date.

If any additional people want a laser cut set of ribs now is the time, this will not be an ongoing offer throughout the build. He will still cut them for you but the price goes back up to the normal price of $70.

Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi 3sport,

I took my Raven plan to a local copy shop that primarily copies building plans. They make big copies all day long and only 2 sheets was nothing for them. Look in your local phone book under copy and duplicating services and call some places. You may find it to be less expensive than you think.

Wayne
Wayne - Can you please give me tony's info as well. I(the wife) have decided to do the cut ribs. The D-box sheeting is what I want as well.

I will go by kinkos this weekend and get some copies of the plans done.

Thanks
Bob
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:36 PM
If it floats....sail it!
FoamCrusher's Avatar
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi 3sport,

I took my Raven plan to a local copy shop that primarily copies building plans. They make big copies all day long and only 2 sheets was nothing for them. Look in your local phone book under copy and duplicating services and call some places. You may find it to be less expensive than you think.

Wayne
I took the plan sheet to Staples yesterday. They have a 20% off coupon in this weeks advert - that is off their $0.50 per square foot regular price. I was out the door tax inc. with one mirror image and one copy for under $8. (I like to keep an unspoiled copy in case I need to make repairs later ) Kinko's also makes copies at about the same price.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:18 PM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
I took the plan sheet to Staples yesterday. They have a 20% off coupon in this weeks advert - that is off their $0.50 per square foot regular price. I was out the door tax inc. with one mirror image and one copy for under $8. (I like to keep an unspoiled copy in case I need to make repairs later ) Kinko's also makes copies at about the same price.

FC
Good to know. I think the wife is going to get copies made tomorrow while I'm at work. We have a staples and a kinkos in town.

Did you get in touch with tony yet? I want to order a set of the laser cut ribs. I have sent Wayne a couple of messages. Hopefully he will get back to me shortly so I don't miss the boat.
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:42 PM
Registered User
KickAce's Avatar
Watertown, WI 53098
Joined Aug 2007
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Alright everyone, I have been talking with Tony and he is good to go. So here is the deal. As of this moment I have the following people wanting laser cut ribs:
  1. KickAce 2 sets
  2. FoamCrusher 1 set
  3. HirCer 1 set

I am sending you 3 a PM with Tony's contact information. He is expecting you. All of you want the same rib sets, D-box sheeting of the original airfoil. Mention Bob or me, Wayne, and he will give you the discounted price. He has stated that his laser cutting time is limited but this should be more than enough time to get them by the start date.

If any additional people want a laser cut set of ribs now is the time, this will not be an ongoing offer throughout the build. He will still cut them for you but the price goes back up to the normal price of $70.

Wayne
Wayne...
Thank you very much...
Email has been sent...
KA
KickAce is offline Find More Posts by KickAce
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:45 PM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAce View Post
Wayne...
Thank you very much...
Email has been sent...
KA
+1
Bob
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:47 PM
Registered User
HIR/Cer's Avatar
Joined Apr 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAce View Post
Wayne...
Thank you very much...
Email has been sent...
KA
Wayne, thanks also! Sent e-mail to Tony.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:11 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Wayne-would you like a pair of aluminum rib templates?I have enough of the hardened stuff left from makeing the bell crank for 2 sets.scottie
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:20 AM
Registered User
Don Stackhouse's Avatar
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,072 Posts
The other thing that works great for templates is Formica.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:56 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
Windependence's Avatar
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,498 Posts
Hi Scottie,

That is a very nice offer, aluminum templates would be great to have, however I don't have the files and blades needed to cut metal and I am not going to burden you with the chore of cutting them for me. If by some chance making two sets is as easy as making one set, and you are not going to a lot of extra effort then how could I say no.

How is that for a conflicted answer. Bottom line is yes I would love a set if you have an extra, but I don't have the tools to cut my own from stock.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:53 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Send me a pm on where to ship them and they will be shipped next week.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:38 AM
If it floats....sail it!
FoamCrusher's Avatar
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sportbob View Post
Did you get in touch with tony yet? I want to order a set of the laser cut ribs. I have sent Wayne a couple of messages. Hopefully he will get back to me shortly so I don't miss the boat.
I sent Tony an email this AM. No response yet, but it is really too soon to expect a reply.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:48 PM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Holy smokes was that a PITA. My wife tried multiple places in town to get copies of the plans made. She got excuses from we don't have the equipment to we can't because of the copywrite. I finally found an engineering place to make a copy and mirror image but it was a little more spendy than I had anticipated at 2 bucks a foot for the prints. 20 bucks and I finally have what I need.

I have not heard anything back yet from Tony but I am currently working on a shopping list and am planning on the laser cut ribs. I will order my other parts as soon as I hear from Tony.

I have not decided which servos to use yet. I am considering trying to keep all servos in the fuse and go with pushrods and linkages for ailerons and spoilers in the wings. I am open to the pros and cons of this idea and I have some time yet so give me your thoughts.

Where do you guys normally order your wood from? I have in the past only used the material supplied in the kit or some wood for repairs from the LHS.
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:27 AM
Registered User
Mike Smart's Avatar
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sportbob View Post
I have not decided which servos to use yet. I am considering trying to keep all servos in the fuse and go with pushrods and linkages for ailerons and spoilers in the wings. I am open to the pros and cons of this idea and I have some time yet so give me your thoughts.
Don't do it, servos in the wings with short direct linkages is the only way to go - HS125MG for the ailerons and probably HS65HB for spoilers.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:58 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
3 sport-buy what wood you can from the lhs that way you can help make sure they are there when you need them.Unless you are buying enough for 10 builds the difference in bucks is pretty small.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:30 AM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
Don't do it, servos in the wings with short direct linkages is the only way to go - HS125MG for the ailerons and probably HS65HB for spoilers.

Mike
Is that due to the wing flex and subsequent control surface movements and or binding? Obviously that would override any weight reduction benefit in the wing if the wings have a tendency to flex. I don't think flex will be much of an issue with the carbon spar caps and kevlar wrap on the inner bays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
3 sport-buy what wood you can from the lhs that way you can help make sure they are there when you need them.Unless you are buying enough for 10 builds the difference in bucks is pretty small.
Good thought about the lhs. I usually like helping the little local guy out for sure. I will pick through his wood selection for my stuff.
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rave Official HK250 and HK250GT Thread (with build log and review at start) Hal_The_Hacker Micro Helis 9651 Oct 14, 2014 07:43 PM
Build Log Golden Age Modelworks RYAN ST-A Official Build Thread wingspan100 Parkflyers 229 Oct 14, 2014 12:05 PM
Discussion "Official" BH/LX B-2 Stealth "Spirit" 2x64mm EDF, Build/Mods Thread! RemE Foamy EDFs 1194 Sep 25, 2014 12:17 AM
Build Log VERTIGO B-26 "Widow Maker" Official Build Thread AirShowRC.com wingspan100 Electric Warbirds 129 Feb 25, 2014 06:01 AM
Discussion ***OFFICIAL*** Gee Bee R3 Build Thread appflyer Scale ARF/RTF 28 Dec 04, 2009 11:57 PM