Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:27 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sportbob View Post
This sounds like fun.
When are you planning on the official start?
How long will the build take?
When are you going to do the rib order?

I'm trying to decide if I should jump in at the last min.
Hi 3Sport,

The official start date is October 1st. The thread was started early so people had time to think about it and get the materials. This is a scratch build, except for the ribs, so no telling how long the builds will take. I am hoping to have mine flight ready by spring but I don't have as much time to build as I would like. Bob on the other hand is a building machine. I expect I will be bringing up the rear of the build. As to the last minute, your timing is perfect. The ribs orders should be ordered within the week and hopefully they will be delivered by October 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
9 pages guys and no-one has started building yet

Mike
Not yet. People are holding off until the official start date of October 1st. I know Scottie has fabricated his own bell crank but I consider that sourcing parts. Fear not the balsa dust will be flying soon enough.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:46 PM
My next plane will be better
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi 3Sport,

The official start date is October 1st. The thread was started early so people had time to think about it and get the materials. This is a scratch build, except for the ribs, so no telling how long the builds will take. I am hoping to have mine flight ready by spring but I don't have as much time to build as I would like. Bob on the other hand is a building machine. I expect I will be bringing up the rear of the build. As to the last minute, your timing is perfect. The ribs orders should be ordered within the week and hopefully they will be delivered by October 1.

Not yet. People are holding off until the official start date of October 1st. I know Scottie has fabricated his own bell crank but I consider that sourcing parts. Fear not the balsa dust will be flying soon enough.

Wayne
OK! Count me in

I sent mike an email to get the plans ordered.
I will decide the next couple of days whether I will go lasercut ribs or cut em myself. Currently leaning towards doing them myself (true scratchbuilt).

I won't have a whole lot of time during the month of OCT but will make up for it later.

I will start sourcing parts after I get the plans and we see the posted parts/vendor list.

I will be needing advice on balsa selection since this will be my first scratchbuild all planes done previously were kits and just used what came with them good/bad or ugly didn't matter.
3sportbob is offline Find More Posts by 3sportbob
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:46 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,451 Posts
Wah! I want to play but I don't have paypal and it's the only form of payment Bob takes, any chance someone could order me a set and I would send a money order, plus extra for your help? and don't even start with me about paypal.

thanks Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:06 AM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Msd

Mike,

Did you get my email via your website?

I wanted to confirm everything before I did the paypal and had plans shipped.

Bob

Never mind Mike I got your email and ordered the plans.
Last edited by 3sportbob; Sep 02, 2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: heard from mike via email
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:11 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
Who has the best wood now; Lonestar, National, USA Balsa or ????
This may have gotten lost in a previous post. Comments/suggestions?

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:27 AM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
This may have gotten lost in a previous post. Comments/suggestions?

FC
I heard good things about lonestar but I have nothing to back it up.
Last edited by 3sportbob; Sep 02, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 03:19 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,028 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

Did you get my email via your website?

I wanted to confirm everything before I did the paypal and had plans shipped.

Bob

Never mind Mike I got your email and ordered the plans.
Hi Bob,

Yes all sorted and in the post in the morning thanks.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Sep 02, 2010, 05:15 PM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Thanks Mike.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:13 AM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
The great thread killer strikes again. 9 pages of talk about this and as soon as I join in it dies.

Got my plans on the way. Still waiting for the parts/vendor list to be posted.
I will be cutting the ribs myself and going pure glider with the gull wing option.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:17 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Hi 3Sport,

Glad to have you onboard. It will be nice to have another non motorized builder in the group. You and I get to discuss tow hook placement while the rest of the group talks about KV, prop sizes and watts per pound. I think our discussion will be shorter.

Wayne
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:26 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Wah! I want to play but I don't have paypal and it's the only form of payment Bob takes, any chance someone could order me a set and I would send a money order, plus extra for your help? and don't even start with me about paypal.

thanks Al
Hi Al,

Not certain who you are referring to here. Are you thinking of Tony the laser cutter or Mike the plane designer? Mike does accept paypal, not sure about Tony. Bob in Seattle, to the best of my knowledge, isn't selling anything. Can you clarify this?

Wayne
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:46 PM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Hi 3Sport,

Glad to have you onboard. It will be nice to have another non motorized builder in the group. You and I get to discuss tow hook placement while the rest of the group talks about KV, prop sizes and watts per pound. I think our discussion will be shorter.

Wayne
Thanks glad to be here.

I'm partial to pure gliders, although the electrics do have their advantages. I'm hoping to find a moveable tow hook assembly to use for this build. Will decide on some other stuff after I get to look over the plans.

Giving the color scheme some thought:
I was thinking the bird needed to be (Raven) black but think black and a translucent smoke(anybody make a smoke film?) would look cool. Gotta think a translucent film would be necessary for a built up wood wing(shamefull not to show off the craftsmanship). That may rule out the total black theme.

Are you planning a new thread when the official start date arrives or just continue with this one?
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:00 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,451 Posts
sorry Wayne, I meant Mike for the plans, I need to find someone with paypal. Looking now

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:03 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Are you planning a new thread when the official start date arrives or just continue with this one?
I am not planning to start an additional thread. One of my objectives was to consolidate as much information into this thread as possible, hence the links in the second post to previous builds and articles.

As to the wing, I keep going back and forth as to a fully sheeted vs open bay wing. I really like seeing my work with built up wings but that smooth sheeted wing looks sooooo nice. I am thinking that I may just have to build two sets of wings, one gull wing, sheeted with ailerons and flaps and a second open bay poly wing with spoilers only for RES flying. All I know is that I better make a decision soon because time is running out to decide.

Wayne
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:12 PM
SW Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
I am not planning to start an additional thread. One of my objectives was to consolidate as much information into this thread as possible, hence the links in the second post to previous builds and articles.

As to the wing, I keep going back and forth as to a fully sheeted vs open bay wing. I really like seeing my work with built up wings but that smooth sheeted wing looks sooooo nice. I am thinking that I may just have to build two sets of wings, one gull wing, sheeted with ailerons and flaps and a second open bay poly wing with spoilers only for RES flying. All I know is that I better make a decision soon because time is running out to decide.

Wayne

Gotcha on the additional thread.

So the gull wing option is fully sheeted?(don't have the plans yet)
If that is the case then I'm going sheeted because the gull wing is the major draw to me with this build - I think it is awesome.

I think an open bay gull wing would be beautiful - the ribs would give it the feather look.