HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:17 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Busy-Bee Electric airplane W/Motor,Servo,ESC (Great for FPV)

Interesting! Has this been tried?

Looks very cool!

Here's the link..

Some specs

Features:
Easy to fly for beginners with stable flight characteristics
Low speed hedgehopping at speed of 10kmh
Light weight with anti-collide (??)
Low C.G. design with special stability
Anti-pitch performance (??)
Controllable nose landing gear, easy to fly
Die-cast design easy to replace the spare parts
Solid wing (for slow flyer)
Clipped wing (sport flyer)
Stable flight with rolls, loops, and inverted flight

Spec.
Wing Span: 1120mm
Length: 1085mm
Flying Weight: 650g
Wing area: 24dm2
Wing Load: 27g/dm2

Servo: 3x9g
Motor: Powerful Brushless outrunner 2822kv
ESC: 18A
Prop: 9x5
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,121 Posts
i think was tryed long time ago
here is a video from an old spanish user who i dont see active anymore,
FPV Busy Bee Crash 27dic07 (4 min 5 sec)
FPV nov06-mar08 (10 min 9 sec)

more pics and so on:

http://www.aeromodelismovirtual.com/...read.php?t=421
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; Jul 04, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 11:27 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Not sure.... but I think it's made from styrofoam? aka beer cooler foam.

Anyone know for sure?
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:05 AM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
This plane has been around a wile and it had a few design problems all fixable and their are a few FPV videos on Youtube that look good. I have been looking for a replacement FPV plane to replace my Paraplane and everyone has a Easy Star or similar and I wanted something a little different so today I ordered a Busy Bee from Hobby King. I figured if I don't like it, it was cheep and I can just move on to something else.
here's the video's I found. Their not mine

FPV CLUB ESTELA AEROMODELISMO VUELO NOCTURNO BUSY BEE CON ALAS ELEKTRO JUNIOR (4 min 54 sec)

FPV "El Hornillo Salvaje" (5 min 36 sec)

Kinepolis 31julio07 p1 (4 min 32 sec)

Kinepolis 31julio07 p2 (3 min 22 sec)

Kinepolis 31julio07 p3 (5 min 39 sec)

FPV Busy Bee Crash 27dic07 (4 min 5 sec)
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:23 AM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
I placed my order with Hobby King 7/19/2010 for a Busy Bee and a few other items. I did not pay for express shipping so I did not expect it for a few weeks. I get an Email from Hobby King 7/20/2010 saying my order has been shipped. I placed another order with Tower Hobbies on 7/21/2010. I get an Email from Tower Hobbies 7/24/2010 saying my order has been shipped. A few hours later 7/24/2010 the door bell rings, it's the mail man with a big box from Hobby King. Wow that was fast. My Tower Hobbies order is not supposed to arrive till 7/27-29/2010. Come on Tower, Hobby King is making you look bad.
The Busy Bee made the trip in one piece. It is made out of the cheap foam but still looks well designed and quite sturdy. The tail feathers, elevator and rudder are also foam but appear to have a molded vinyl or plastic skin which makes them stiff and they are held on to the fuselage with 2 screws. The push rod for the rudder is a little to short and the control horn because of the rudder being on an angle doesn't line up with the travel of the push rod. I think using a ball joint to connect the rudder linkage will fix the problem. The canopy is clear but comes glued to the fuselage Would have been nice if it didn't come already glued. Their seems to be plenty of room inside the fuselage with 3 compartments in the bottom and one under the wing. The wing is attached with rubber bands. It comes with 3 9 gram black no name servos installed with the push rods already connected. It has a speed control with no label so not sure what size it is. The manual says it's a 20 amp ESC and the motor is a 2822Kv1200 brushless out-runner. The motor has a label, it's a EMax CF2822 and has PROP 9"-10" 11.1V and I believe the prop is a 9x6. In the manual they list using a 3S/11.1V/1300mah 15C battery. This is different than HK web site. They list it as using a 2S/ 7.4V/1700mah lipo. I did put the prop on and fired it up on a 3S 1320mah TP battery and it seems to have plenty of power. I plain to build the Busy Bee as stock first and test fly it before I try and install any FPV equipment. Here's a few pictures.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:12 AM
France
Joined May 2010
537 Posts
Seems to have plenty of room for fpv stuff ! Nice !
Alcyon13 is offline Find More Posts by Alcyon13
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:36 AM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
I have always liked the looks of the Busy Bee, and have been tempted many times to get one, but was put-off by the cheap foam.

If someone made one in balsa or even just a better foam, I'd buy it in a second.

Looking forward to your flight report on it.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:20 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Ok my Busy Bee is ready for it's first test flight but it's been to windy here to try so far.
So here is a preflight build report. Before you consider buying a Busy Bee read this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649686
I know it's old and from back when Hobby Lobby use to sell the Busy Bee. I got mine from Hobby King and I know the motor and ESC have been updated for 3 cell use I don't know if any of the other design flaws have been corrected. In the original post one person had his wing fold up in a loop which he said was caused by the carbon fiber wing spar being 2 pieces connected in the middle by a short aluminum pin. well I don't believe the aluminum pin broke but because it was so short it caused the carbon rod to split into causing the wing to fold in the middle. I pulled my spar out and found the same setup and the carbon rod split with almost no force being applied so I removed it and replaced it with a bigger one piece carbon rod and epoxyed it in the foam wing. Now I wonder if they ever changed the problem with the wing angle. Since they never changed the wing spar I'll bet they did not change the wing incidence or the thrust angle of the motor but I think I will test fly it as is and find out before I jump in and make any other modifications. I did make a removable battery hold down system for the center bay so I could remove it easily if I ever had to replace the servos. Here are some pictures of the build. I'll report back after the test flight.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:09 PM
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Looking good sverlander,

Will be interested in the flight report.

Is the front canopy/windshield clear enough to have the FPV camera inside, do you think?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:43 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
Looking good sverlander,

Will be interested in the flight report.

Is the front canopy/windshield clear enough to have the FPV camera inside, do you think?

Thanks!
The canopy is definitely clear and looks like a lot of room inside but I am thinking their would be to much reflections and distortions where it curves plus I have a KX-191 camera, not exactly the smallest camera out their but I can give it a try and see what it looks like. I haven't given it much thought yet as I want to see how it fly's first but I was thinking about mounting it the same way I have it now in my Paraplane using the same mount. I had a Pandora pan and tilt but replaced the tilt part with the plywood top from an easy pod. I also have one of the new Hobby King large pan and tilts that I haven't built yet so I have some options.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:24 AM
Manila
Joined Apr 2010
23 Posts
Hi. Nice pics and build info. I received mine two weeks ago and made a couple of flights and some minor mods.

1. I did not remove the wing spar but glued another one top of it along the length of the opening. In hindsight, I should have replaced it. This is my first fixed wing build (I've previously built helis) and will later learn that every gram counts.

2. I Taped the front leading edge. Do this. I hit a post that, without the tape, would have caused a major tear given the wing's material.

3. I ran thin (2mm or 3mm, I forgot) carbon tubes from near the nose to the tail, one for each side. For this, I removed the upper red stripe, cut a V-channel and epoxied the tube.

4. I changed the main landing gear with a bigger diameter wire. I just followed the bends of the stock. Less flexy landings now.

5. I sandwiched firewall with two hard plastic sheets by screwing them together. The front gear slipped on its guide on my second landing that's why. It's just too flimsy. And while at it, I attached a dedicated servo to the firewall for the steering. That way, don't have to run that very long rod under the battery.

6. I moved the rudder and elevator servos to the rear bay to free the belly for 2560mah nano-techs. 15gm penalty for these batts. Haven't received them yet. Dimension is 148x44x18 or thereabouts.

7. I installed two hitec 55's for aileron a few inches away from each of the control horns.

8. I changed the ESC to Emax 30 amps and installed a UBEC.

9. I had to trim and balance the props, its a 8x6 APC-style. (I have a question on this below).

10. I changed the motor thrust incidence (if its called that) upwards by adding a washer on each of the lower screws of the motor mount. This is related to #9 above and I have a question below.

11. In the field, I inserted a few folds of paper under the front portion of the wing to change the angle of attack.

I am not qualified to do a reliable review. I'm coming from helis. But I can tell you the difference before and after the mods.

Pre-mods, the plane flew. It's slow, exactly how slow, I don't know. Slower than my friend's PZ Trojan. After adding all the weight and changing the thrust direction, I cannot slow it down without dropping like it hit an air pocket. It's not a stall, more like altitude is just dropping but the plane stays level while moving through the air. It seems the weight upped the stall speed by a lot. I wondered if I will even put a camera later as it will make the plane even heavier. Then there's the 2650. I may have to zing past the scenery, not exactly I intended this bird to be.

After changing the angle of attack, I could fly it slow without dropping or stalling. Much slower. I'll even say slower than pre-mod. So now I'm confident that I can load this baby up and still have a low stall speed for nice videos. I just do not know up to how much can I change the angle of attack before it gets too much.

QUESTIONS:
1. What is the max prop diameter did you put in yours without hitting the boom? I cannot use 8x6 for my busybee lest I cut the the boom. So I had to trim the prop. Question is, is this normal? I read others use 8x6. Is it possible that my mount cage is all wrong?

2. What is the correct thrust angle for a pusher like this? On front end props, I understand the thrust should be offset in favor of right+down. I ask this because I changed mine to angle up the thrust a bit. Not for anything but only to increase the prop diameter I can use. Is this wrong?

3. What is the best motor + prop combo for this baby given the added weight of 2650Mah +added weight of camera + added weight of strengthening mods? Will say an Aerodrive 28-26 work?

4. What props will get me more climbing speed with the stock Emax 28-22 and the Turnigy Aerodrive 28-26, 1350Kv, allegedly 260Watts?

Good winds, OB1
OB1 Kenobi is offline Find More Posts by OB1 Kenobi
Last edited by OB1 Kenobi; Jul 31, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:20 AM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB1 Kenobi View Post
Hi. Nice pics and build info. I received mine two weeks ago and made a couple of flights and some minor mods.

1. I did not remove the wing spar but glued another one top of it along the length of the opening. In hindsight, I should have replaced it. This is my first fixed wing build (I've previously built helis) and will later learn that every gram counts.

2. I Taped the front leading edge. Do this. I hit a post that, without the tape, would have caused a major tear given the wing's material.

3. I ran thin (2mm or 3mm, I forgot) carbon tubes from near the nose to the tail, one for each side. For this, I removed the upper red stripe, cut a V-channel and epoxied the tube.

4. I changed the main landing gear with a bigger diameter wire. I just followed the bends of the stock. Less flexy landings now.

5. I sandwiched firewall with two hard plastic sheets by screwing them together. The front gear slipped on its guide on my second landing that's why. It's just too flimsy. And while at it, I attached a dedicated servo to the firewall for the steering. That way, don't have to run that very long rod under the battery.

6. I moved the rudder and elevator servos to the rear bay to free the belly for 2560mah nano-techs. 15gm penalty for these batts. Haven't received them yet. Dimension is 148x44x18 or thereabouts.

7. I installed two hitec 55's for aileron a few inches away from each of the control horns.

8. I changed the ESC to Emax 30 amps and installed a UBEC.

9. I had to trim and balance the props, its a 8x6 APC-style. (I have a question on this below).

10. I changed the motor thrust incidence (if its called that) upwards by adding a washer on each of the lower screws of the motor mount. This is related to #9 above and I have a question below.

11. In the field, I inserted a few folds of paper under the front portion of the wing to change the angle of attack.

I am not qualified to do a reliable review. I'm coming from helis. But I can tell you the difference before and after the mods.

Pre-mods, the plane flew. It's slow, exactly how slow, I don't know. Slower than my friend's PZ Trojan. After adding all the weight and changing the thrust direction, I cannot slow it down without dropping like it hit an air pocket. It's not a stall, more like altitude is just dropping but the plane stays level while moving through the air. It seems the weight upped the stall speed by a lot. I wondered if I will even put a camera later as it will make the plane even heavier. Then there's the 2650. I may have to zing past the scenery, not exactly I intended this bird to be.

After changing the angle of attack, I could fly it slow without dropping or stalling. Much slower. I'll even say slower than pre-mod. So now I'm confident that I can load this baby up and still have a low stall speed for nice videos. I just do not know up to how much can I change the angle of attack before it gets too much.

QUESTIONS:
1. What is the max prop diameter did you put in yours without hitting the boom? I cannot use 8x6 for my busybee lest I cut the the boom. So I had to trim the prop. Question is, is this normal? I read others use 8x6. Is it possible that my mount cage is all wrong?

2. What is the correct thrust angle for a pusher like this? On front end props, I understand the thrust should be offset in favor of right+down. I ask this because I changed mine to angle up the thrust a bit. Not for anything but only to increase the prop diameter I can use. Is this wrong?

3. What is the best motor + prop combo for this baby given the added weight of 2650Mah +added weight of camera + added weight of strengthening mods? Will say an Aerodrive 28-26 work?

4. What props will get me more climbing speed with the stock Emax 28-22 and the Turnigy Aerodrive 28-26, 1350Kv, allegedly 260Watts?

Good winds, OB1
Here's another tread on the Busy Bee for FPV. It has some good info in the first part. From what I have read so far, you need to raise the leading edge of the main wing or lower the leading edge of the horizontal stab by 6mm and angle the motor thrust down toward the tail boom not up. Your battery maybe a little to big, weight is everything. I may have to drop mine from the 2200mah to my 2100 TP pro lights as they are much lighter. Remember if you are going to fly FPV you still have to add the camera vid transmitter and battery as well as a pan and tilt servo. I will know more after a test flight but we can learn a lot from those that have already been their and done that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726255

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649686
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
Well I got to test fly the Busy Bee today and it did not go so well. I took it to a new site my buddy has been flying at which is at a golf driving range. The guy that owns the place said he could fly off the putting green if no one was using it. It's a nice flat putting green on a hill top and the driving range is at the bottom of the hill. The green is artificial grass but you take off over the edge of the hill side and not far away is an area you don't want to land in. First I can say the Busy Bee taxies good with a short turn radius but the main gear is a little flimsy. The motor on 3s seems to have plenty of power. I opened the throttle and it tracked straight on the green and I pulled back on the elevator and it lifted off but just barely. Just like others have reported I had to give a lot of up elevator to maintain level flight so I throttled back and the plane jumped up and I thought it was gonna stall so I added throttle again and it started to nose dive so back on the elevator again and leveled it out again. It was close to the area where I did not want to have to crash in( Tall weeds,thick under growth and maybe briers so I cut power and let it settle down in the grass but it went behind the hill and I could not see how it landed. Theirs a picture below of where it ended up. Upside down and broke the tail boom into. It also hit on the nose and bent it to one side. So back to the building board. Now I have to decide what to try next. Either drop the leading edge of the horizontal stab, change the angle of the motor or both. I also noticed the stock aileron setup is not right. The way it is you have more travel on the bottom side than you have on the top side. It should be the other way around. So I am gonna have to change that too. That's all for now.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 08:45 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,045 Posts
dip the nose in boiling water...

make a bigger elevator?
Flying-Monkey is online now Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Aug 01, 2010, 08:19 AM
Manila
Joined Apr 2010
23 Posts
Sorry about your bee sverlander. Looks very much repairable. That kind of thing also happened to me, the crazy take-off. I also crashed but within sight so not as much damage as yours. Before maiden, I ran a tape to cover the embedded 2mm cf tube from near nose to tail. Probably saved me from a boom break.

I learned that with the stock motor+prop I have to really commit and level off much later.

I have an Aerodrive 28-22 coming that I'm planning to use with a 3-blade 7'' master airscrew pusher. I'm thinking it'll give more thrust but not so much speed. I'll report when it gets here and tested.

In the meantime, I'll put back the stock trimmed 8x6 prop. I tried a stiffer APC-style 8x6 but it only got faster, the power still marginal. Because the stock 8x6 is flexy, it probably is effectively 8x4 or thereabouts. It was slower then.

While on this, did you guys find the need to trim the stock 8x6? It strikes the boom. Or probably just me particular bee?
OB1 Kenobi is offline Find More Posts by OB1 Kenobi