HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 12:08 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,545 Posts
Discussion
Lee Ulinger PocketKnife Bipe

I don't know what else to say. I finally got my Lee Ulinger PocketKnife Bipe finished. I used a Motrolfly DM-2215-1150/FM-30a ESC/MaxAmps 2200 lipo/10x4.7APC instead of the Hacker 20-20L recommended gear. This thing just ROCKS! Aileron rolls are just crazy. Inside/outside loops are insane. I'm pulling 300~350 watts on this setup. Knife edges need about nothing for rudder input because there's so much area on the fuselage. I didn't dial any expo into this and am running at 100% throws. I also fly Lees' SF-1 with the Hacker 20-20L but the Motrolfly setup is just outstanding compared to the Hacker setup. The maiden was in 10~15 mph winds. I did add a Dubro micro tail wheel so I wouldn't be scrubbing the rudder and changed all the servo rods over to CF with adjustable ends. UNK all up weight but I'm going to LOVE flying this bird. I like it so much I'm going to give the SF-1 away to a new beginner flyer here in town.

There are 1.5 shortcomings as I see it. One being the ability to align the wheels to the plane to taxi in a straight line. It's kind of a guesstimate adventure. In all fairness, I'm pretty sure Lee didn't build this wonderful bird for taxing down any amount of runway. But it's sure nice to have the ability if you need it. The 2nd being I feel as though there needs to be a 45 degree stiffing block/plate on the bottom side behind the motor mount to tie the motor mount back to the fuselage. But my feelings are only subjective. The bird sells for $85.00 & that may seem pricey to some. But given the quality/simplicity of the kit and the inclusion of all the CF rods and other parts, I believe it to be a pretty darn good deal.

I have another one of Lees' custom SF-1s' that I'll be using the Motrolfly gear in but will be using metal gear servos (ES08MA/20.8oz.in/4.8v) from BMK Designs instead of the Hitec servos. These servos are 1/2 the price of the Hitec servos I'm currently running. All I can say is I'm one really happy flier with this Bipe from Lee. Did I mention it's beautiful paint job? And before anyone asks or suggests, I have NO affiliation nor vested interest in Lee Ulinger Models. But I do have a love of them...

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:44 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,186 Posts
How are the ES08MA servos holding up?

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:04 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
How are the ES08MA servos holding up?

Flyracer
Not a problem of any kind so far. Given their performance and pricing compared to the hitec's I mounted on my 1st birds, I'd be stupid to ever buy the hitec stuff again. I made little mounting blocks so I could screw my servos on instead of them being glued on. If they hold up as long and as well as Lee's foamies, it'll be awhile before I need to buy more. Good for me but bad for the vendor.

Also take note that Laine hasn't had any problems with the servos or planes we sent to Afghanistan. That says just how a good product works for the consumer.

Where these ES08MA's could really come into play is in the combat arena. A lot of those flyers use the HS-55's and those keep stripping gears and just take a horrible beating. I think it would be interesting to have a combat flyer test these out and see how the ES08MA compares to the HS-55. I'm betting on the ES08MA for durability. Not to mention the price. There's a ton of electrics these are perfect for. I'll use these over the hitec any day.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:24 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,186 Posts
Dan
Thanks for the inputs... I went ahead and purchased some of the ES08MAs to use in the new 41" 3DHobbyShop Edge 540.

Jacques
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Aug 05, 2010, 12:54 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,545 Posts
You should take a look at the MOTROLFLY DM-2810 from here, http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html

The motor is 1/2 oz. heavier than the recommended Torque/2830($75) or Hacker/A30($60) for full blown power. But both of those are putting out around 250 watts whereas the Motrolfly($60) puts out 380~420 watts on 3s. The Torque & Hacker are going to give you about 125 watts/lb. The Motrolfly should give you around 220w/lb. Insane Power!

For lightweight flying, I have/use a Hacker 20-20L/TP1320/3s on one of my foamies 1lb. and it's sorta ok. Flight times are about 5 minutes because I run mostly wide open. I swapped over to a Motrolfly 2215-1150 and bumped up to a 3s/2200 pack. Way better performance and longer flight times.

You made a good choice getting a 3DHS bird. Have fun.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2010, 10:15 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,186 Posts
Dan
excellent inputs... thank you!

-Jacques