HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Scythe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:31 AM
Warrnambool, Victoria
Joined Jan 2008
43 Posts
Discussion
Aeroflyte Aries Glider Restoration

I was given a glider from someone who had it passed down to them, however they weren't really interested in flying it. The glider was in need of some repairs and had no electronics (i've got some on order). The tail fin was snapped off and one of the hinges on the rudder needed looking at and a little bit of glue fixed both problems, I plan to use some poly filler to clean up the rudder hinge a little.

The wing was originally covered with red covering and had a split break in the main spar and a few balsa struts needed some tlc. There had been a few repairs to the glider evident by some extra red covering patching up the entry points. Since I had a bit of work to do and I hadn't covered a wing before I decided to strip it back, do the repairs, spent about 6-9 hours sanding (at this point you really don't care how long it takes) over a couple of nights. I had to rub back all the left over plastic from the old covering (after using the iron to remove most of it) plus the glue plus this really weird brown paper covering on the balsa then finally smooth everything out.

Once the epic sanding marathon had been completed I jumped head first in to my first covering and I am quite happy with it. Even though I ended up adjusting my method with each new section of cover because of my new found experience and trying out subtle changes I think it turned up quite well (plus I love how the camera phone I'm using hides all the wrinkles ).

I still of as yet don't exactly know what this glider is called. I know it was handmade (obviously) and possibly from a kit as there was a '2' stamped on one of the spars. It features about a 1.5m swept back wing with a generous amount of dihedral and has a tow hook on the bottom. Bonus kudos to anyone who can tell me the name of the glider from looking at the pictures!

I finally managed to find someone who knew exactly what this glider was. It's an Aeroflyte Aries. I don't fly it that often as it only likes light conditions, it flies great though, often straight up!

Scythe is offline Find More Posts by Scythe
Last edited by Scythe; Jan 17, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts