Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:09 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay View Post
She turned you into a newt?
It's a desmognathus... Herpetologist/vertebrate physiological ecology.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Jul 04, 2010, 03:33 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
For a brief and incomplete summary of what I do, the leftmost one in this image is part of what I work on:

Cisco Catalyst 6506-E Switch
There is a very good chance that I designed part of one or more of the chips in that box.

My company does a bunch of stuff for the Cat 6K series.

Unfortunately I can't take pictures of what I do.....cameras are not allowed in the building.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:49 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; Jan 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 07:02 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,508 Posts
I mend toys - specifically PS3's.

Unbelievably, we're not allowed to take or display pictures of our covert occupation.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:08 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay View Post
It just looked like your garden variety SCSI device. SCSI was a technology designed by the Russians to cripple American artists. It almost worked too, until Apple finally discovered the covert agent in their midst, learned of his dastardly plans, and then had St. Jobs come in and give us a real peripheral connection experience.

I have no doubt if you worked on it, then you got it to work. Asking annoying questions over and over until it gives in, is the perfect response pattern to wilily computers peripherals.
You'll be glad to know that PCIexpress and ESATA are replacing SCSI. Remember the first rule of computer psychology, you can not let them know that you need them. They must constantly be made aware of the fact that at the first sign of trouble, they will be replaced. Occasional random replacement will keep the fear level high in the herd.

Well, gotta go find some stuff to fix my guitar amp.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:57 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
You'll be glad to know that PCIexpress and ESATA are replacing SCSI. Remember the first rule of computer psychology, you can not let them know that you need them. They must constantly be made aware of the fact that at the first sign of trouble, they will be replaced. Occasional random replacement will keep the fear level high in the herd.

Treat it like a computer. Just replace it.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:00 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,292 Posts
Electronics are deathly afraid of soldering irons as well. Sometimes you can just plug one in, wave it around a little bit, and they decide to behave.

"See your little friend in the Dead Components Graveyard? You could be next! I tried to fix him, but nooooooo, he made me get out my 250 watt iron!"
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:01 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7212355_n.jpg

This is where I "work". Since retirement, it is nice to sit at the beach and "keep an eye on" the suspicious women roaming the surf. ONly when my wife and daughter are away though! LoL.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:26 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post

Oh Apple phased out SCSI about 10 years back. Thank Bog, as it was a pain to work with. I still have a pile of connectors in the garage I need to "donate". Maybe I'll donate with prejudice.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay