HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:59 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
425 Posts
Discussion
Working leading edge slats for EDF airliners??

All,

I have been experimenting with different ways to create working “droop” type leading edge slats that deploy and wondering if anyone has solved this dilemma. I do NOT want to build the type that fold from underneath the wing to join the leading edge, such as the Krueger type on the 747, but “droop” type such as those on the 737. I end up with the wrong motion of the slats- they simply fold down, instead of roll downward in a semicircular motion.

My most recent thoughts for EDFs would be to, create fiberglass molds for droop slats about as thick as a business card (wax paper the leading edge and fiberglass over it, then remove and cut slats to shape) that provides the exact same shape as the normal leading edge, and bury some type of gear retraction servo in the fuselage to provide the correct and full amount of movement. I was thinking too, of simply setting up a mix on the radio such that they deploy with the flaps 1 setting on my transmitter.

But I am now thinking- that I am over thinking this- and someone out there in RC land has long ago solved this dilemma.

Any thoughts on how to solve it, or illustrations of what to do would be great.

Thanks
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:06 PM
Joined Jul 2010
425 Posts
And, besides the additional lift and low speed handling advantages provided by slats, I have to say it would just look like "you mean business" when you roll your EDF airliner onto the local rc runway, and deploy slats and flaps 1 for takeoff.

Throw the company lights on as you power up, and I bet a few jaws and radios drop...
Old Jul 02, 2010, 07:06 PM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
404 Posts
Been toying with my C-5 galaxy slats for my large turbine one. The way i am going to do it is: heavy duty digital servo near the wing root with carbon rod that goes out to bellcranks in series. As the servo pushes or pulls it will move the bellcranks and deploy or retract the slats.
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:10 PM
747-400
alaska
Joined Mar 2007
465 Posts
RC Boeing 747 (11 min 45 sec)
hey like your work on your 737 you did the same thing with your flaps as i did on my 747 here is my vid and ps are you frome A.K i am i have a 737 that i have built a month ago ill post it on the 737 windrider build page, well good job man! i like your work.
w747 is offline Find More Posts by w747
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Jul 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w747 View Post
http://youtu.be/FLxuqYSO_WA hey like your work on your 737 you did the same thing with your flaps as i did on my 747 here is my vid and ps are you frome A.K i am i have a 737 that i have built a month ago ill post it on the 737 windrider build page, well good job man! i like your work.
Thanks w747. I'm a big fan of your work especially- that Dash 8 you made rocks. PM sometime as I'd like to learn more on your builds...