HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2010, 05:02 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Discussion
Scale Rc Zodiac RHIB - inflatable

Hey all, in one of these threads I happened to see a post from someone name Jerryj who had mentioned that he knew of a company called Bandit Boats in BC who used to make a pretty good inflatable hull.

Well, as he said, that company has been out of business for years. Anyway, I had purchased one of these hulls a while ago and had scaled it out with a G.I. Joe scale Coast Guard figure. The design I chose was based on a Coast Guard inflatable that was moored here in Queens NY. I took pictures of it and from the pictures went on to construct the superstructure out of fiberglass, plasti-struck - comprised of various sizes of rods and flat cut-outs.

It is approx. 40 inches, weighs approx 6lbs (fully loaded), has a (rare) scale outboard motor system, which are non-functioning but are in the fact the rudders, has a tradional 3/16" flex single screw drive (hidden by the scale outdrives), a Fine Design brushless geared drive system, a Castle Creations 120 Hydra forward/Reverse esc, powered by two 5S 4000 mah lipos, scale-out interior, working interior dome light, working emergency lights, headlights and horn, and while at rest it is on an authentic scaled down model of an actual EZ-Loaded trailer designed by the EZ-Loaded trailer company over 20 years ago and given to the EZ-loaded trailer dealers as a means to display what the real one looks like.

I have several pics from my build and will put a build thread together this weekend. In the meantime, here are some pics.
Kholder116 is offline Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 05:03 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,668 Posts
Very nicely done!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
Very nicely done!
Thanks alot!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:21 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,869 Posts
That's pretty awesome, Judge! 40" is huge, get some video!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:48 PM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
That's pretty awesome, Judge! 40" is huge, get some video!
Hahaha, ok Tom, I'll do that in the few weeks... Lately, I have been flying my planes and gliders and haven't taken the boats out yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2010, 05:26 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Nice and big!

Thatīs purdy big, some pics of the HW would be greatly appreciated Your Honor Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Jul 02, 2010, 01:29 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,214 Posts
Cool!. A video of this thing screaming around would be excellent.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkboo View Post
Thatīs purdy big, some pics of the HW would be greatly appreciated Your Honor Boo

I'll post pics of the drive unit over the weekend....... I wish I had the old videos I took when I used to run this in Central Park - but those are long gone... Actually, initially I was running this with a graupner 820BB on 20 cells linked to a scale outboard/inboard engine... It had some giddy-up but the drive unit, while being a beautiful scale model; was not smooth. It had bevel gears going from the motor to the prop instead of a flex drive system and as a consequence robbed my battery power considerably.

The new brushless system, I recently installed has not been run yet..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:08 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,214 Posts
Where about do you run her in Queens?
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jul 03, 2010, 12:05 AM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morris View Post
Where about do you run her in Queens?
I usually run her in Springfield park, Hall's Pond or Baisley park lake
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2010, 04:01 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,857 Posts
I had often wondered how long it was going to be untill someone did that one. Grate job. !!! VERY nicely done. I would love to see the plans that came with that one. thank you sharing. DON That portland rustbucket
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jul 03, 2010, 05:04 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholder116 View Post
I usually run her in Springfield park, Hall's Pond or Baisley park lake
Good grief, he lives in the city and has a choice of places to run. I live in farm country and can't find a decent place to use a boat. T'aint fair.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:10 PM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
I had often wondered how long it was going to be untill someone did that one. Grate job. !!! VERY nicely done. I would love to see the plans that came with that one. thank you sharing. DON That portland rustbucket
Hey there Rustbucket, unfortunately there were no plans that were followed here,,, the entire boat, other than the hull was made after looking at picures I took of the real one.... As I said, I will post a build log here over the weekend... it was actually easy, but time consuming....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:29 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
No hassle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
Good grief, he lives in the city and has a choice of places to run. I live in farm country and can't find a decent place to use a boat. T'aint fair.
And has no hassle with park officials and itīs not a tiny boat ......they know better than to get on the case of ...well a Judge Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkboo View Post
And has no hassle with park officials and itīs not a tiny boat ......they know better than to get on the case of ...well a Judge Boo

ok, wise guys.....lol!! seems I need to remove my occupation info from this site. hahaha... Actually, there are about four lakes around here and I went out yesterday to try and shoot some video of the zodiac but unfortunately three of them were really dirty and need a good cleaning... lI was too tired to to the fourth lake that the guys from my boat club, the Empire State Model Mariners, said was clean.

Eventually, I went the following morning - this morning and will post the video as soon as it uploads...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kholder116; Jul 05, 2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added photo