Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:59 AM
Good thing balsa floats!
Seattle
Joined Sep 2001
770 Posts
Build Log
Mini TopSky

Greetings from Seattle.

I've been fortunate to get my hands on an advance copy of the full-production Mini TopSky kit direct from the manufacturer. http://www.topsoaring.com/index_page0002.htm

It arrived via EMS yesterday. I was surprised by the weight of the box until I opened it and found it packed in a second box, surrounded wing core shucks and some interesting one-side veneer plywood.

The kit was well protected inside its own box and is very complete.

Initial thoughts:

Component quality is very nice throughout. The wings are gorgeous, FG pod is nicely finished, it has a CF hatch that fits well, nice boom and very nice laser cut balsa for the tail group, even a plywood servo tray.

Complete accessories including FG control horns, Teflon control rod tubes, steel control rods, fiberglass, carbon fiber, hardware is complete - it even comes with some covering for the tail group.

The wings are beautifully made. My only add here will be to wipe a little finishing resin on the LE's to make them as smooth as the rest of the wing. Construction is flawless and the root areas are pre-finished to the correct dihedral.

There is a three-view drawing, but no instructions were included. Hopefully coming later or on-line for newer builders.

I'll post some photos as I progress with building. Plans are to keep it mainly stock, but since it came without instructions, who can blame me if things turn out a little different?

I'll mainly make a couple mod's to the tail group per my preferences:

Detachable horizontal stab and pull/spring controls rather than the included tubes and wires. No covering, just water based polyurethane for protection.

I'm also a CR2 battery fan, so I'll have to see how the gear layout might need to change as it is designed around a lighter LiPo pack.

I'm also going to build this as a SAL plane rather than DLG. Also a preference, but also due to a bad knee. So, someone else will have to comment on its full out launch height...

Stay tuned, it's going to be a short build. I basically only have to shape and finish the tails and start gluing the small number of parts together. Should be a breeze.

Chris in Seattle
Rain City Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Rain City Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:13 AM
Lebanon, Maine
Joined Nov 2004
925 Posts
Chris, I have one all complete and the cr2 end to end with a jr6201 rec'vr works very well. Plenty of room for a small pod. There are instructions on-line from www.topsoaring.com

Scott
ScottLister is offline Find More Posts by ScottLister
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:43 PM
Good thing balsa floats!
Seattle
Joined Sep 2001
770 Posts
Scott - Also found the electronic 3 view there handy for reading without a magnifying glass! Must be getting old...

This is a great little plane. I hope other builders add their photos.

Chris in Seattle
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:17 PM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
661 Posts
Hey Chris,

I'll be watching your progress. I have a TS-mini coming and I was thinking of going with the CR2 batteries and pull/spring as well. Do you think there would be any advantage with putting some lightening holes in the tail and covering with a light weight covering, such as Lightspan?

The published AUW of 135 grams seems ambitious (ie: unattainable).

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:35 PM
Lebanon, Maine
Joined Nov 2004
925 Posts
Eric, The weights were just what was published on my plane. The tails were extremely light on my model and very soft balsa.

Scott
Old Jul 01, 2010, 06:15 PM
Good thing balsa floats!
Seattle
Joined Sep 2001
770 Posts
My weights

I just weighed my "parts" and short a few bits, I'm at 133g w HS55 Servos (8g ea).

Chris in Seattle
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:10 PM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
661 Posts
When I get my Mini I'll publish the weights. I'm going to use the supplied Dymond 4.7 clones so I might come in a few grams less than HS55s. I'm still gonna shoot for 135g but the 2 cell CR2 pack is 22g all by itself.

We'll see....

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:40 PM
Lebanon, Maine
Joined Nov 2004
925 Posts
my tails naked weighed 1 and 1.5 grams, then I used the ultra lightweight covering on them. The covering was really good stuff. Went on nice, low heat, and great shrink.

Scott
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:55 AM
Beijing
Joined Sep 2007
197 Posts
thank you Chris,cheers
our test Mini Topsky bettary weight:
first one is 32 grams,nose is heavy.i added 1.5 grams extra weight on the tails,flew well
other one weight 19 grams,i added 5 grams nose weight flew well.(total weight 136 grams)
tails weight is about 7.5 grams.i think its important to build it lighter to make the tails weight lighter,but we have to find a balance piont between the strength&weight.
the tails 1 gram = 4 grams nose weight
thanks
Zhigang
wzg_zxl is offline Find More Posts by wzg_zxl
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:45 AM
have gun will travel
USA, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Apr 2010
330 Posts
mini

mini mini mini i want my mini cleaned my bench cleaned my work shop cant wait

scott
scottrod31 is online now Find More Posts by scottrod31
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:49 PM
Good thing balsa floats!
Seattle
Joined Sep 2001
770 Posts
Traveling

I'm traveling for the next two weeks, so no progress.

Anyone else get one of these beauties yet?

Chris in Seattle (Phoenix for now)
Old Jul 07, 2010, 03:03 PM
Lebanon, Maine
Joined Nov 2004
925 Posts
I do!!!!!

You will just have to wait for the review.

Scott
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:11 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
Hey Scott, what is the lead time for the batch of minis that were ordered to be delivered? No hurry, just trying to plan what to build when.

Thanks,
Brian
buildscapeinc is offline Find More Posts by buildscapeinc
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:01 PM
have gun will travel
USA, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Apr 2010
330 Posts
yesterday scott said he should ship minis in acouple of days

scott
scottrod31 is online now Find More Posts by scottrod31
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:48 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
I got a tracking number this morning from Scott.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh