HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:05 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,715 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Starchaser

The Bahrainis have always been unltra-cautious about the possibility of insurgency, and associated spying. When I was there in the 60s and 70s, even travel to the south of the island was impossible without a special permit. Things have moved on since then, as Jonb81 has said, but not everything.

I suspect that it may be airborne radio control that's an issue, not just the possibility of putting a camera in it. So, you might get your glider, but no radio

Have you been in contact with other expat residents, such as some in this thread? Wouldn't want to spoil things for them, if they've got some kind of "understanding" going with some authority.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:56 PM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
i've tried to get in touch with xpats in this forum and outside even but i dont think any one has any permit to fly....if they are flying then they are doing it very discreet and only heli's so far not planes especially the one i have is not huge but big enough to be noticed in a clear sky...i'm still trying to get a permit but i dont think it's gonna happen it has been 2 months now and no reply...
i just wanna ask why do u think that the radio control could be the issue ??, it's such a shame that they are killing this very nice hobby cause they dont have enough confidence that they can control such a small island with very small population comparing with US or Dubai or Egypt or Saudi or or or or .......i just cant get the point. and if a spy or a trouble maker wanna get such a thing to serve his purpose i thikn they can get it so easy...if i can manage to get my plan in and i'm just a normal guy whom wants to have fun and enjoy doing what he likes so.........
DjRedFoxx is offline Find More Posts by DjRedFoxx
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
No, abenn, I have not tried to get hold of anyone yet.
You are 100% correct in terms of the not being able to have a TX/RX, as the guy at customs kept on asking me if there was a radio inlucded with the glider. So yes, maybe they will allow me to take the glider, as long as it does not have a TX/RX with it, which kind of defeats the whole object, but I guess that is better than nothing.
I will see what the Ministry says when I go and see them tomorrow, and try and find out what there stance is on allowing somebody to set up a registered club with a specific flying area. My thinking is that if they then only allow registered members to import and fly helicopters, aircraft or gliders, they can still control everybody, whilst still allowing the hobby.
I am not sure if anybody has tried to go down that route, and if so, please let me know, but I guess it is worth a try.
Starchaser is offline Find More Posts by Starchaser
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:13 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,715 Posts
No harm in asking, Starchaser. And good luck

DjRedFoxx, it's difficult to understand why some governments make the decisions they do. We've had a gun ban here in the UK for several years now, yet criminals are still shooting each other (and the general public) left, right, and centre. And now some of the Gulf states are banning Blackberry phones because they're unable to monitor them
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:17 AM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
I've tried approaching the minister himself with a full plane how to control and register RC pilots and every thing and i got only 1 response "NO"........
but I'm still willing to try if any one has better ideas or connections, i have the full plane ready and printed. i would love to see bahrain opening to such a hobby.
Please let us know what the ministry told you regarding your plane, and if they allow permits to fly or something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchaser View Post
No, abenn, I have not tried to get hold of anyone yet.
You are 100% correct in terms of the not being able to have a TX/RX, as the guy at customs kept on asking me if there was a radio inlucded with the glider. So yes, maybe they will allow me to take the glider, as long as it does not have a TX/RX with it, which kind of defeats the whole object, but I guess that is better than nothing.
I will see what the Ministry says when I go and see them tomorrow, and try and find out what there stance is on allowing somebody to set up a registered club with a specific flying area. My thinking is that if they then only allow registered members to import and fly helicopters, aircraft or gliders, they can still control everybody, whilst still allowing the hobby.
I am not sure if anybody has tried to go down that route, and if so, please let me know, but I guess it is worth a try.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 03:51 AM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
No probs DjRedFoxx, I will defininitely let you know what they say.
Unless anything has or is about to change, I am also know that I will have the same problem most probably next week when the trainer that I ordered arrives, which also has a full TX/RX setup, unlike the glider which is a model only.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:42 AM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Finally gotto meet with customs today, and it is definitely a no go on being able to get any rc aircraft into Bahrain. The issue according to customs is that somebody had previously used an aircraft fitted with a camera to take photos of something or somebody, and ever since then all rc aircraft have been banned.
My glider will now sit in customs untill I send it out of the country. Really, really dissapointing as I was looking forward to the abundance of thermals here.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
daaaammm thats bad news , i will have to ship my aircraft to Saudi now...thats my best guess....such a shame.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 02:39 AM
Joined Sep 2008
28 Posts
I heard the same story but it was added to the whole thing that happened long ago with another country this is what I was told by a older local that works at DHL. So smaller planes would be a lot better than a larger one but shipping it to Dubai would be a option but it may get held on the way back in. I have a plane in Bahrain as well but its only a 18 inch wing span so I can fly it fast and go away before anyone is wise to it. Same with my heli's small and simple to not gain to much attention. Also Bahrain is about money if this hobby brings them no money then they want nothing to do with it
Jonb81 is offline Find More Posts by Jonb81
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:02 AM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
ok finally i had the chance to taxi and simulate take off, i recognized one thing though my plane is going more to the left or wright i cant remember exactly when i put the throttle stick to the half or more ?!!!! i tried to trim the rudder though...it didnt work, after i went home i recognized that my engine is little bit facing to the same direction it was drifting to...
i thought i mounted the engine wrong but when close inspecting for the first time i recognized that the firewall is not parallel with the fuselage !!?? it's little curved to one direction i think to the wright, like when i measure from the wright landing gear to the firewall it measures like ex: 15cm, but when measuring from the left landing gear to the firewall it measures like ex: 15.5cm is that normal ?? and is it normal for the plane to drift one side when taking off or when on full power on ground ?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:40 AM
USA, MI, Wayne
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
Normally a plane will be built with a small amount of right thrust to the engine like you describe. This helps conteract gyroscopic effect from the propellor, engine torque, prop wash on the tail and p-effect from the prop (after rotation). Normally on a take off run the plane will naturally want to go left because of any or all of the above causes and a small amount of right rudder is needed to keep it straight. The P-Effect causes a tail dragger to do this worse. That's a good reason to practice taxiing.

Also, check your landing gear to make sure the mains have a small amount of toe-in (the wheels point slightly toward each other at the front), roll freely and the nose wheel has a relatively small movement in relation to the rudder in order to reduce the chances of over-controlling. The toe in should be slight - less than one degree so it should be just enough to tell it is there.

Good luck in your bad flying circumstances. It sure makes me stop and appreciate just worrying about the weather when I want to go flying.
mhatzung is offline Find More Posts by mhatzung
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:43 PM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatzung View Post
Normally a plane will be built with a small amount of right thrust to the engine like you describe. This helps conteract gyroscopic effect from the propellor, engine torque, prop wash on the tail and p-effect from the prop (after rotation). Normally on a take off run the plane will naturally want to go left because of any or all of the above causes and a small amount of right rudder is needed to keep it straight. The P-Effect causes a tail dragger to do this worse. That's a good reason to practice taxiing.

Also, check your landing gear to make sure the mains have a small amount of toe-in (the wheels point slightly toward each other at the front), roll freely and the nose wheel has a relatively small movement in relation to the rudder in order to reduce the chances of over-controlling. The toe in should be slight - less than one degree so it should be just enough to tell it is there.

Good luck in your bad flying circumstances. It sure makes me stop and appreciate just worrying about the weather when I want to go flying.
thank you very much for your time and appreciation , i do really have a very bad flying circumstances around here not only weather but also being worried of the police to c me or people around me cing such a plane for the first time they all just stand there opening there mouth like they are cing a UFO and they do really distract me a lot specially they that there is no where here that i can be alone, i mean no people it's such a small island ...
i put the throttle to half while taxing and pull full elevator down to take off for 1 meter then land (that was my plane) but the plan refused to take off ??
i was afraid to put more throttle i thought it's to fast already i tried this twice then i gave up...any idea why did this happen why it didnt take off ??
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:55 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
You should continue to practice taxing until you can keep the plane on a straight line at half throttle. You have probably found that you need a fair bit of rudder until the tail lifts off (I'm assuming you have a tail dragger). Once the tail lifts you should only need small adjustments, if any.

You probably do not have enough speed to lift into the air. For most taildraggers (with lower wing areas) you will need full throttle for abouit 5 seconds after the tail lifts to get enough airspeed. Ease the elevator up - do not jerk it, and shut off the throttle as soon as the plane lifts into the air. Concentrate on keeping the wings level using the aerollins until it hits the ground, then use the rudder to control it on the ground. The switch from rudder control on the ground to aerollins in the air, and then back again is tricky at the beginning stage.

You will need an areas at least 150m long and 10m wide with this type of practice. Maybe if you can try at first light, there won't be so many gawkers.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
I fly in Bahrain

My freind I fly in Bahrain and the only way u can fly in Bahrain or bring a plane into Bahrain is by buying a kit in another country possibly UAE or Saudi take everyting out the box and put it in a suitcase that way customs doesnt knw wht it is if they ask tell them its a model boat but they will be so confused they wont ask, take the radio out the box the motor everything preferably use different suitcases for the motor and radio. I'm currently studying in Australia I'm comin in December for a vacation I can take u to good flying spots in Bahrain and help u out to get flyin if ur interested contact me on adelaa90@hotmail.com
adelaa90 is offline Find More Posts by adelaa90
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:30 AM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaa90 View Post
My freind I fly in Bahrain and the only way u can fly in Bahrain or bring a plane into Bahrain is by buying a kit in another country possibly UAE or Saudi take everyting out the box and put it in a suitcase that way customs doesnt knw wht it is if they ask tell them its a model boat but they will be so confused they wont ask, take the radio out the box the motor everything preferably use different suitcases for the motor and radio. I'm currently studying in Australia I'm comin in December for a vacation I can take u to good flying spots in Bahrain and help u out to get flyin if ur interested contact me on adelaa90@hotmail.com
IF I'M INTERESTED !!, OFF COURSE I AM, i'm flying in different unsafe spots now i fly max. for 2 minutes and land, so far i flew only twice...please if you can tell me or provide me with safe locations where i will not be distracted with police and CID i will highly appreciate it , do you have a plane here in Bahrain ?
you can check my flying videos on the links below:

My First RC Flight Ever on a Great Planes Reactor 3D 59" powered by Saito 82a (1 min 11 sec)

My Second RC Flight Ever On My Great Planes Reactor 3D 59" Powered By Saito 82a (Crosswind Landing) (5 min 27 sec)