HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:49 AM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
Discussion
Flying in Bahrain

Any one flying in Bahrain ???!! i need any assistance for my first flight pls...
DjRedFoxx is offline Find More Posts by DjRedFoxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 11:46 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
As far as I know it is still strictly banned in Bahrain. I suppose if you know someone important you might be able to get a RC club going in Bahrain too or permission to fly yourself.
But there is a RC Flying Club in Saudi Arabia nearby with flying areas all over Saudi Arabia. They are right next to you there in Bahrain. So there might be some people that go to Saudi Arabia to fly RC.
http://sac.com.sa/english/Page.aspx?name=aboutus-en You might be able to get some tips or ideas on how they got permission to setup the clubs and have RC flying in the Kingdom.
I think you need to get a background check and a license from the Saudi authorities. Then you can join the club and fly at their designated flying fields.

I wonder if there are any good hills or bluffs in Bahrain. Maybe getting a slope soaring club or group might be easier to get going that wouldn't get the authorities all paranoid. Slope soaring doesn't need engines or motors. They might decide to allow that. Maybe gliders too. I would think thermals ought to be pretty good there. But I don't live there to see for myself. But with the Saudi's doing it now, they might be more conducive to allowing it there too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 01, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 03:03 AM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
thanks earlwb for the info. but i'm not bahrainy so i cannot go to saudi without a visa and they dont give visa's , i will have to sort my self here, i'm trying now to get the project done so i can apply to the authorities hoping for their approval, though i doubt it....
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
I was hoping someone would answer back. But I am not sure if they peruse this forum or not. You might ask the same question on RCUniverse.com and see if anyone answers back there.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:50 AM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
i will create an account there and post hopefully someone will reply and not a CID
i still have my plane grounded all this time.....i cant resist anymore to fly it.....and in the same time i don't wanna crash it on the first flight...
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:19 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,593 Posts
If you can't resist the urge. I suggest getting a small electric trainer type of plane. They usually have them made to be somewhat crash survivable. usually with a rear facing motor so the motor and prop are more protected.
Maybe http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVX4&P=0
or
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYGM0&P=0
Anyway something like that gives you something to build on for flying skills and at the same time might appear cute and non-threatening to the authorities.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:57 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,464 Posts
I heard there was indoor flying there from a friend of mine but cannot confirm.

And this is something that not many people would know about if there weren't invloved in the sport.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2008
28 Posts
PM me I am in Bahrain I can give you the low down
Jonb81 is offline Find More Posts by Jonb81
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:18 AM
Joined Sep 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonb81 View Post
PM me I am in Bahrain I can give you the low down
http://hdcrcclub.blogspot.com/2010/0...l-rc-club.html no movement though
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:36 AM
Joined Sep 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
As far as I know it is still strictly banned in Bahrain. I suppose if you know someone important you might be able to get a RC club going in Bahrain too or permission to fly yourself.
But there is a RC Flying Club in Saudi Arabia nearby with flying areas all over Saudi Arabia. They are right next to you there in Bahrain. So there might be some people that go to Saudi Arabia to fly RC.
http://sac.com.sa/english/Page.aspx?name=aboutus-en You might be able to get some tips or ideas on how they got permission to setup the clubs and have RC flying in the Kingdom.
I think you need to get a background check and a license from the Saudi authorities. Then you can join the club and fly at their designated flying fields.

I wonder if there are any good hills or bluffs in Bahrain. Maybe getting a slope soaring club or group might be easier to get going that wouldn't get the authorities all paranoid. Slope soaring doesn't need engines or motors. They might decide to allow that. Maybe gliders too. I would think thermals ought to be pretty good there. But I don't live there to see for myself. But with the Saudi's doing it now, they might be more conducive to allowing it there too.
No such luck Bahrain is man made all land here is reclaimed so its flat but a powered glider like a merlin or easy star will fly forever with the wind that is here
Old Jul 05, 2010, 03:55 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonb81 View Post
No such luck Bahrain is man made all land here is reclaimed so its flat but a powered glider like a merlin or easy star will fly forever with the wind that is here
C'mon ... it's not all man-made -- there were plenty of escarpments up Awali way when I was there in the 60's and 70's
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jul 05, 2010, 04:11 AM
Joined Sep 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
C'mon ... it's not all man-made -- there were plenty of escarpments up Awali way when I was there in the 60's and 70's
Lol this place has changed alot
Old Jul 05, 2010, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
533 Posts
Fuel can be a real problem in these isolated areas. Agree with going electric.

Keep us posted.

Do they have an Air Force? Folks at AF bases may be more sympathetic. Would not be surprised if some of their folks fly RC.

I was USAF late 60s and they were always sponsoring UC fly ins, stunt competitions, etc. Anything to encourage interest in flying and maybe get a few young folks hooked.

Tom
noveldoc is offline Find More Posts by noveldoc
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:23 AM
Reactor G/P 3D Saito 82a
Joined Jun 2010
81 Posts
I've managed to get a gallon of Sidewinder yesterday 20% nitro 12% Oil, i think I'm gonna add 6% Castor oil to pick the lub up to 18%....will that do it folks
Old Aug 02, 2010, 03:35 AM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Flying in Bahrain

Hi guys,

Just a quick note to check if anybody has any further info on why you are not allowed to fly in Bahrain, or hwo to go about getting permission to fly.
I am new to this and coming from Dubai where I saw the guys flying, went ahead and order myself a foamie Cessna trainer and a glider. Went to collect the glider last night, and was told to go see the Ministry of Interior on Wednesday, who will then decide if I am allowed to keep the glider or not ??
from what I can gather from customs, it seems as if the issue is that they are affraid of you mounting a camera inside and spying ??
Any help will be appreciated.
Starchaser is offline Find More Posts by Starchaser