HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Heli Hacker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hang on, turbulence ahead
St. Louis
Joined Dec 2007
534 Posts
Discussion
Further testing

Some interesting test results:

After flying the PhuFox for a while, and making a lot of software changes to the 2-axis PhuBar, I went back to fly the Phubee again, only to discover it no longer flies well with the same parameters as before but with the updated software. I had to increase the decay value to get it to fly right at a 45 phase angle, analogous to removing some weight from a physical flybar. And it flew MUCH better when I changed it to 0 phasing, like I am using on the FireFox. I hadn't changed anything on the heli itself, so it has me puzzled. I'm still trying to figure out what change I made to cause this. But regardless, I have settings for both phase angles that make the heli fly well.

So then I tried the PhuFox at 45 phase angle. After the above mentioned experience with the PhuBee, I figured I should increase the decay, so I set it to 100, about the same value as the PhuBee. 100 percent decay simulates a flybar that re-normalizes itself perpendicular to the rotor shaft in about 1.5 seconds following a change in attitude. It flew with about much better stability than it did with 0 phase and smaller (slower) decay value.

I need to think about what this means. It would seem to imply that the 45 phase allows a physical flybar to provide the same or better stability as a heavier flybar at 90. And perhaps give you stability without sacrificing as much responsiveness as a heavier 90 flybar would require??

One thing is clear. I now have a single set of gain and decay values that work reasonably well, though maybe not optimal, on both helicopters. This perhaps explains how makers of commercial electronic flybar units can program them with default settings that will work well enough to at least get a customer started regardless of what helicopter they have.
Heli Hacker is offline Find More Posts by Heli Hacker
Last edited by Heli Hacker; Jul 12, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts