HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:05 PM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
MY rhapsody was very fun for the short time i had one! Hey slammer1, why does it say that your distance from me is 6374 miles away from me? Did California suddenly grow?
ian145 is offline Find More Posts by ian145
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
Plane Basher
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Joined Oct 2005
199 Posts
ian145,
I have no idea why such a large distance. I live in Southern Ca.,...... maybr I'm farther south than I thought?
Sam
slammer1 is offline Find More Posts by slammer1
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer1 View Post
Actflyer,
I have both the Stearman and the Rhapsody,.... they are both fun to fly. The Stearman is a gracefull flyer that will do basic acrobatics. Just becareful doing any acrobatics, because the Stearman can catch you off gaurd, and will tip stall and spiral in if you're not careful. The Stearmans strong suit is just looking good with a pilot in the plane and make low slow passes over the runway and listen to the compliments. Or do nice gracefull loops and rolls and just enjoy it.
The Rhapsody can be graceful too, but I think it's ment to be pushed and pushed hard. I can almost hover it for a few seconds, but It's not ment do that type of 3D stuff. Any other manuver you can think of it will do it and do it fast. It's the sportscar to the Stearmans classic car ride.
Have fun.
Sam
Thanks slammer1 I intend to push the Rhapsody hard but not 3d it.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Happy to say my rapper is RTF, after almost 2 months of sitting in the hanger all banged up i got in the mood the last couple days and put her back together, she looks new,if not for a few thin stips of covering you would not no it was even worked on,she is one solid plane,after that crash i had couple ribs broke at the wing root on all four wing sections,bent gear.[ gear is pretty strong unlike a lot of eflites i had, it hit hard and did not budge the gearbox but instead bent the mount].smashed firewall.and a couple pieces in the fuse which i repaired from the inside and did not have to cut the cote, after all was said and done it cost me 20 bucks for a new cowl and dummy radial.i had the balsa and couple thin strips of cote,it feels good to have her back in the hangar RTF its like Santa came early LOL cant wait to take her out for some checkout flights and ring her out a bit

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
73 Posts
Hi, Just has the maiden a couple of days ago.. I have noticed that the plane is a bit on the heavy side.. Feels like it should have been setup as a glow model..
Test flight was good, take off needs to be fast and graceful, landings are slower but not too slow.. or it will wing stall at the tip.. the plane can do almost any aerobatic maneuver..but you have to be very careful or you will be off guard.. the plane looks great in the air.. but should have been a bit lighter for an electric model.. Because of the weight.. it will not glide for very long.. and you and i would suggest that when landing do not slow down too much while turning or you are in for trouble..

Happy new Year

Cheers,
gazzazh is offline Find More Posts by gazzazh
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:59 PM
Plane Basher
Joined Oct 2005
199 Posts
Gazzazh,
The Rhapsody is on the heavy side no doubt. You'll enjot this planes weight if you ever try to fly in winds that would ground most other electrics. I've flown my plane in 10-15 mph winds that occasionly even gusted higher. As for not being able to fly her slowly on landing might I suggest a new style of landing? Bring in your plane with some power and then just before touchdown, chop the throttle. Or in other words, fly the plane in.

Sam
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Oct 2009
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer1 View Post
Gazzazh,
The Rhapsody is on the heavy side no doubt. You'll enjot this planes weight if you ever try to fly in winds that would ground most other electrics. I've flown my plane in 10-15 mph winds that occasionly even gusted higher. As for not being able to fly her slowly on landing might I suggest a new style of landing? Bring in your plane with some power and then just before touchdown, chop the throttle. Or in other words, fly the plane in.

Sam
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the advice.. Thank god i am not alone... LOL... its a great model no doubt... Will try her out in wind and let you know... Cheers and Happy new Year..
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:31 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
Yes, a little bit piggy, but she carries it well.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Love this plane and have thought of getting one. Just one thing I don't really like and that's the huge interplane "slabs". I would much prefer traditional N-struts.... they just seem more realistic. Imagine the blind-spots if you were to pilot a full scale version... like having blinders on. If I ever pick one up I'll probably cut those into N-struts or build some from scratch. Or even thinning them in the middle more like a Pitts might work too. But she's a slick looking airplane nonetheless.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2009
73 Posts
OK so I had the maiden.. all went well.. then i flew it the other day in 26KM wind.. crashed the thing on take off... this plane has a tendency to stall from anything.. Then fixed it... It is very strong built.. them flew it again today... but still take off is very tricky.. this is my first biplane ... not sure if these types of planes are crazy or what.. here is the link for the video.. tell me what i am doing wrong.. also in the video when i did a loop.. i almost lost the plane... your comments are appreciated
Link :
Eflite Rhapsody Almost Crashed (3 min 9 sec)

Cheers
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
Not enough speed is my best guess as to the problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
Not enough speed is my best guess as to the problem.
That's what it looks like to me as well....and the snap during the loop, mine does that as well on the really tight loops....bigger loops you'll notice a difference...you could also decrease the throws on the elevator some, that would help as well...
It was nice seeing a Rhapsody fly again, haven't seen mine in the air in months...

Jazzbone
JazzboneCuit is online now Find More Posts by JazzboneCuit
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Same.... I think you were going too slow during take-off and it was just stalling. For the loops, I think too slow and too abrupt and it stalled the wings. E-flite planes are notoriously heavy for electric planes... over-engineered I guess is how I would put it. Their 15-size PT-17 is 44" and weighs in on average around 72oz AUW. I am just finishing a 52" 40-size bipe designed for gas and converted to electric that weighs 68oz. AUW. Higher wing-loading means you'll require more speed and smoother maneuvers.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
Plane Basher
Joined Oct 2005
199 Posts
gazzazh,
After watching your video, I would agree with the other comments posted. Reduce all your throws by about 25% of what you have now and increase your exponential by about 10%. Doing this should make your plane more docile with less throw, and your controls response more linear (smoother) with the added exponential. Be aware though, by reducing your control throws your plane will need more space and take more time to do manuvers. Bigger loops and slower rolls, so if you make the adjustments, take your plane up at least 3 mistakes high and try them up there. By 3 mistakes I mean high enough that you can clearly see what the plane is doing and also high enough to give you time to recover from any mistakes.
I also agree with the comments about your speed. You don't need to fly at full throttle all the time, but try 3/4 throttle speed with your manuvers at first then reduce your speed to a comfortable level for both the plane and yourself. The only other thing that I would suggest is to check the balance of the plane laterally, wing tip to wing tip. It's not unusual to have one wing heavier than the other. So with help, grab the plane by the spinner or prop nut and by the bottom of the rudder. then just gently pick up the plane and see which wing tip drops first. Repeat this process several time to confirm which wing is heavier. Then you can cut a little of the covering away and add some wieght till the wings are even when you pick the plane up. I do this for every plane I build, ARF or Kit. THis might explane why you dropped a wing tip. Although if you take off to slow the torque of the motor will roll the plane left. Balancing the wing though in my experience helps limit the amount of aileron trim you may need to fly level.
This is all just my opinion. The Rhapsody though is a plane that loves speed in my experience. I fly between 3/4 to full throttle most of the time and the plane just grooves along any path I choose. You just might need more time flying her.
Have fun and good flying.
Sam
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
In my limited time flying mine it does like more speed than similar sized planes (because it is a little heavier) but it holds that speed pretty well and flies 'like a floater' once you are familiar with the speed envelope.

I really like mine, but I had to spend a couple of batteries getting used to her first.
RCG Plus Member