SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:54 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
Discussion
Off Topic: Micro Boat Forum, Official Poll has begun

There aren't many micro boat builders in the boat forum. I started this thread because the same stuff we use in this forum, we could use in micro boats. This is just a call for more votes.

Micro and Sub-Micro Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
The official "should we create a new forum" poll is up. Click the link below and select YES.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283750

This is an automated message, thank you.

The poll closes August 9th, so hurry.

Kevon aka bim
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by boredom.is.me; Jul 30, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2010, 04:47 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Okay, I voted yes, but I couldn't remember if I voted before. There is no poll to automatically tell you what's going on or stop you if you already voted.

With stuff like the vapor gear I can easily make a three inch long sailboat complete with motor. I figure the motor is needed in the places where I am likely to sail, but it leaves me the problem of making my own prop!

I rented a model sailboat (laser class) at the conservatory pond in Central Park and it was fun, but the wind is very sporadic there. One minute you are almost knocked flat then you are becalmed and then the wind comes up from a different direction altogether.

With a three inch boat (I'll probably go a bit bigger, but not much) the pond get to look awfully big. I'm in danger of being adopted by a mama duck!

Anyway, no problem with stuffing boxes, I know how to get around that, but tiny props don't exist. A lot of people make sails out of plastic bags from the super market, but i've got some ultra light mylar that is way better.

All I need is TIME.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jul 01, 2010, 10:21 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
After you hit thw 6" range, it gets hard to use bricks. Plantraco would be better suited. If you are not looking to race, many of the cheap toy tail rotors will work. Just cut it down and spin it against a file to make it round. One donor would be the flytech dragonfly.

Kev

A user suggests a topic for a forum and holds a thread to get 50 yes replies. Then the moderators post an official poll to determine wether or not to make the forum. Half way there with vote #25.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
After you hit thw 6" range, it gets hard to use bricks. Plantraco would be better suited. If you are not looking to race, many of the cheap toy tail rotors will work. Just cut it down and spin it against a file to make it round. One donor would be the flytech dragonfly.

Kev

A user suggests a topic for a forum and holds a thread to get 50 yes replies. Then the moderators post an official poll to determine wether or not to make the forum. Half way there with vote #25.
Three to one length to beam is a pretty good ratio for sailboats. At 3.5 inches the brick drops right in. Catboats were sometimes less than two to one.

The problem I see is waterproofing it and still being able to change the battery. I figure the hull and deck can be separate with all the gear housed on the deck portion so it is above any water that gets in. I would need an external link to the the rudder since that would almost have to be part of the hull. With careful design I could have one screw near the middle pulling stuff together.

Easy to day dream about, but getting it done is another story. On the same page as the Footy Forum there are a few posts of very small boats (six inches or so) made with fairly conventional gear. Some are quite nice.

Check the topics here. One is Footy and there are posts here and there about really small stuff:

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/

I hope this is the right link, I haven't been there in a while.

Pete
Old Jul 01, 2010, 02:59 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
Waterproofing isn't impossible, but you would have to make a boot for the control rod and would have to have the battery wire through a sealed hole. It isn't hard, but is time consuming.

Water resisting isn't an issue. You don't even need a deck on your boat. build it from foam and you can even put holes in the transom to drain as you move forward. Just keep your electronics elevated. I've gone submarine before.

Pager motors are impervious to water, so you can have a direct drive for a 4mm motor in the keel of your sailboat.

Kev

Edit:
Are you wanting to make a footy?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:01 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
Hey Pete, I think I beat you to it.

Specs:
Razor hull made from 1mm depron.
Length - 108mm (4")
Width - 42mm (1 1/2"), but can be widened with a rib
Weight - 0.73 grams as shown
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:36 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Hey Pete, I think I beat you to it.

Specs:
Razor hull made from 1mm depron.
Length - 108mm (4")
Width - 42mm (1 1/2"), but can be widened with a rib
Weight - 0.73 grams as shown
Looks great.

I wasted the day straightening out stuff related to my retirement, then hung out at the conservatory pond in Central Park, watching the Lasers and talking to a couple of hawk watchers. Try googling "Pale Male," he and Lola, his mate live right across fifth avenue as seen from the west end of the pond. One of my friends spends most days in the park selling pictures he's taken of Pale Male, Lola and their chicks. (if that's what you call baby hawks)

If I build something it's gonna be my third try at a fuse for a 1/20th scale Vampyr. The first glider to stay aloft for an hour. Not modeled much and I want to do a small version.

I started a Footy but never finished. I even got a registration number, but I will have to redesign the rig if I ever do finish it. The center of lateral resistance of he hull is too far forward. The rig is built but has to be redone and I am not going to take a casual approach this time. I need to do a full sized drawing. That takes a big piece of paper or foam board. The sail is way bigger than one foot long or tall.

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Jul 01, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:08 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
Here is a video of the rigging.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post15452399
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:42 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
from the sailboats i've seen, that looks a little slim on sail movement. but i dunno, looks good anyhow
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:53 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
How is this?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2010, 01:57 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
thats more like it!
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:43 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
It just needs a sail. It even has a removable mast for easy storage and transportation. lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:49 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
And I'm stealing your crackerbox idea derk, just like how I stole the sail idea from Pete.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Looking better and better.

I have to get to work on one.

If I do I will stick to four inches, but I will probably go for balsa. Foam looks too delicate and I will have to lug it around on the subway to get to water. I live in a very urban setting.

I'd love to carve a hull and make a glass mould, but one of my problems is getting carried away and complicating things to the point where they don't get finished.

Here's a shot of my footy, 12 inches long, 6 inches wide. The rig is called a Mac rig after the guy who invented it. Worth looking at since it is very simple and works very well. I would need some fine stainless wire to make it in micro size. The hull is made of 1/64th birch ply.

Pete
Old Jul 02, 2010, 05:42 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,502 Posts
Pete, you want mine? It will never work properly with me. I haven't built any other sailboat before this.
RCG Plus Member