Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:08 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erie_flyer View Post
xviper...........thanks for the info. My middle name is `danger`, rhymes with `masochistic tendencies`, also rhymes with `RC flyer`.

Yep............ONE 3S 2200mah LiPo. Will phone Kondor Monday morning asking where his 6S 4000mah came from. A guess would be he saw 2200mah in the specs and instead typed 22.2V in his advert.

Will also ask when the Desert Storm A10 camo is available in Canada.

Bill
The best of luck to you with it. It's a great looking plane. Personal experience with Blitz products has not been steller but it's possible that their quality has stepped up a bit since the "old days".
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:09 AM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
851 Posts
Pulled out Squadron Publications #49 "A-10 Warthog In Action" that I haven`t looked at in a while. Published in 1981 so no desert camo. In 1980 the U.S. Air Force said "Hopefully we never see it in action but if we do the 30mm Avenger (gatling cannon) is ready to destroy enemy armour".

The green/dark green camo on most RC models is called "European One". There was a one-off tan base camo used in JAWS (Joint Attack Weapons System) in the late 1970s wherein A-10s worked with Cobra helis in anti-tank warfare. Scanned pix bottom left.

The middle pix shows the offset front landing gear. The large ammo drum for the 30mm cannon forced the front gear to be offset to the pilot`s right. This is not the case in the RC models which tend to have the nose gear centered in the fuse.

The right pix shows the landing gear rotating forward on take off. So the Blitz RC model is correct in that regard. The Blitz A-10 has two servos on the front gear, one for steering and one for retract. The steering servo hangs down below the fuse when the nose gear is down.
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Last edited by erie_flyer; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:08 AM
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
Anyone thinking of going with these in the Dyman A-10............
should scoot right along on 4 cells........
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ey_3300Kv.html
Bill Diedrich is offline Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:46 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,604 Posts
Looks great but remember to change out you ESC's 'cos the 30 amp won't handle it and I doubt the 40 amp ones would either. I would go with 60 amp minimum for extra safety.

But you are about to double your cost of ownership! ...or more...but it should really scoot across the sky!

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:35 PM
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Looks great but remember to change out you ESC's 'cos the 30 amp won't handle it and I doubt the 40 amp ones would either. I would go with 60 amp minimum for extra safety.

But you are about to double your cost of ownership! ...or more...but it should really scoot across the sky!

Russ
Yes and also considering the extra weight aft of the CG. Plus adding retracts would make this one "Heavy Hog".
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erie_flyer View Post
Yep.........mechanicals. Must be one servo on each strut. Also must be the old slam-bang action. Makes for a short linkage but I would prefer electrics. If I buy the model I am sure I would eventually put EFlite elecs on.

I am trying to get an answer out of the supplier as to the LiPo requirement. Looking over some of the 71 pages in this thread it looks like ONE 3S 2200 or 2500. But the supplier`s advert says one 6S 4000. Haven`t heard back from him so looks like I will be phoning him Monday morning about the correctness of his advert.

Bill
The battery size has been fixed on the website.
I am ashamed to admit it, but that was my fault......
No honestly it was my fault, I am the webmaster for that website.
TheWhistler is offline Find More Posts by TheWhistler
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:35 PM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich View Post
Anyone thinking of going with these in the Dyman A-10............
should scoot right along on 4 cells........
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ey_3300Kv.html
I'm in the process of building up the Dynam A-10 kit. When I bought motors from HK, I also bought extra EDF housings just for the sake of it - cheap ~$3.50 ones. The brand name turned out to be Hercules. I like the Hercules ones better than the Dynam ones but they aren't a drop in replacement. Judging from the ring around the middle of the assembly you linked to, I'm pretty sure it won't be either. Cutting foam is easy but making those assemblies fit while keeping the hole nicely rounded and retaining the lip at the front might be challenging. I ended up just putting the Hercules prop in the Dynam housing. I'm not saying you should use the Hercules props but HK sells a variety including these nice looking 10 blade props. If I knew what else I needed to get them installed, I would buy a couple.

If you're looking to beef up your plane, maybe you would get better results for your time/effort/money by upgrading the motors. Instead of running 3300 KV motors on 4S, you could achieve the same RPM with 4400 KV motors running on 3S. I put 4800 KV motors in mine and they draw 27A continuous at full throttle, so my 40A ESC's should be more than enough. The thrust seems pretty over the top to me, just bench testing it. Can't wait to fly it.
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Last edited by spaaarky21; Feb 03, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:18 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,604 Posts
...in the Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) world, we usually refer to those "props" as fans.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:45 AM
Helicopter Baron
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
...in the Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) world, we usually refer to those "props" as fans.
Aww, pfft, you know what I mean - the spinny things with the doodads. I wasn't sure what term to use but I figured "prop" was the least ambiguous term for referring to only the fan. It seem like fan, fan unit and EDF are (mis?)used interchangeably, regardless of what's being talked about - from only the fan, to a complete system with motor. Impeller and rotor are others I've seen used for a fan, although they are used more consistently.
Last edited by spaaarky21; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:39 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,604 Posts
It's all good...as long as it flies, it really doesn't matter, right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:11 AM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaarky21 View Post
-snip-

If you're looking to beef up your plane, maybe you would get better results for your time/effort/money by upgrading the motors. Instead of running 3300 KV motors on 4S, you could achieve the same RPM with 4400 KV motors running on 3S. I put 4800 KV motors in mine and they draw 27A continuous at full throttle, so my 40A ESC's should be more than enough. The thrust seems pretty over the top to me, just bench testing it. Can't wait to fly it.
Is your amp draw for each engine? I just put in a couple of 4500Kv motors and the combined amps was 52A. That was with both motors running at full power. I am worried that the two 40A esc's are not up to this. Should I just measure each motor draw to see if it is under 40A. I can't seem to find any info on how to properly asses the ESC amp need for a multi engine system like this. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
ks
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:58 AM
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake11 View Post
Is your amp draw for each engine? I just put in a couple of 4500Kv motors and the combined amps was 52A. That was with both motors running at full power. I am worried that the two 40A esc's are not up to this. Should I just measure each motor draw to see if it is under 40A. I can't seem to find any info on how to properly asses the ESC amp need for a multi engine system like this. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
ks
Yes, you should measure the amprage of each individual motor, might just find that the each is under the 52 amp total that you are reading and that the 40 amp ESC's will work. I am in the build of a new Dynam A-10 myself at the moment which I will detail once all of the components arrive, still trying to track down a couple of motors to work with the new fan units I have comming. Looking also to add retracts.

Bill D.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:09 AM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich View Post
Yes, you should measure the amprage of each individual motor, might just find that the each is under the 52 amp total that you are reading and that the 40 amp ESC's will work. I am in the build of a new Dynam A-10 myself at the moment which I will detail once all of the components arrive, still trying to track down a couple of motors to work with the new fan units I have comming. Looking also to add retracts.

Bill D.
Thanks Bill. I also plan to wire in a seperate UBEC through a tapped T-connector. Each motor does come under 40A so I should be ok.
ks
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:01 AM
Helicopter Baron
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
ks
Looks like Bill's already answered your other questions but as for the amperage, I have these 4800KV motors (note the longer stator than other models in the same line.) In a static thrust test, they drew 26A each before they were installed and 27A when they were. I assume the difference is because of back pressure from the nozzle.

I have Plush 40A ESC's and they should be more than enough. They are rated for 40A continuous and 55A bursts. Their 30A continuous/40A burst model might have been a closer match but it's not bad to have oversized ESC's. Besides, people say those cheap Chinese ESC's tend to be rated higher than they should be. Oh well.
Last edited by spaaarky21; Feb 14, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:45 AM
Helicopter Baron
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I also plan to wire in a seperate UBEC through a tapped T-connector. Each motor does come under 40A so I should be ok.
ks
That's not a bad idea. A separate LiFe pack for your receiver/servos isn't bad either. I have new Nano-tech 45C-90C batteries and the voltage dips pretty considerably at full throttle, even with a fresh charge.

Right now I'm just using one of the ESC's BEC's. On a side note, for anyone new to this, if you have multiple power sources connected to your receiver (ie: two ESC's connected with a with a Y and/or a separate BEC/battery,) be sure to only use the red connection from one of those power sources. Some people snip the wire on one of their ESC's but I prefer to snip a short 2mm piece out of the Y since that's a fairly disposable piece of wiring.