HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,601 Posts
OK, I got an A-10 kit from Nitroplanes for black friday for $40 and free shipping. A steal! Will these motors work?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11159

Will 40A plush or Hobbywing(same thing) ESC's work and are they adequate for a 4s upgrade later on?

I have several 2200 3s batts already.

The 50A redbrick ESC is also only $10 each right now, but it's no good for 4s.

BTW, the kit is still available for $40 plus shipping.

Right now I'm looking at this 2 pack of Hobbywing ESC's 40A for $31 on ebay. Seems like a good deal. Are these same as Turnigy plush and do they work with my Turnigy plush programming card?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Last edited by shahram72; Dec 02, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:13 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
noted. Maybe I'll pick up a few 4s 2650s
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
I don't have a local field with a concrete runway of any kind. I typically fly at the local soccer fields and have no issues with my other planes this size. I have the 4s 2650's now. Will hand launch and grass landing be possible and should I yank the landing gear in the first place and reinforce the bottom with some stranded tape. Or should I trek over to the local field with a runway of some kind.

Shes so pretty I'm a bit timid about flying her. Getting up is easy, its landing that'll getcha
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:14 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
Will hand launch and grass landing be possible?
Should I yank the landing gear in the first place and reinforce the bottom with some stranded tape. Or should I trek over to the local field with a runway of some kind.

Shes so pretty I'm a bit timid about flying her. Getting up is easy, its landing that'll getcha

Yes, remove the gear first.

Unless you're landing on gravel/rough surfaces I don't think you'll need tape of any kind on the belly.

This plane is EASY to belly land but becomes a big glider with the power off so give yourself plenty of time until you get the hang of it.

As far as the hand launch, get someone else to throw it the first time unless you've already flown/trimmed it.

The elevator is very effective on this plane so you don't need lots of throw.

ALSO--if you haven't flown/trimmed it yet, set the elev. to what appears to be neutral in relation to the stab, then give 6-8 clicks of "up elev" trim (back stick).

It's MUCH better for the plane to want to climb after the handlaunch if the elev. trim isn't perfect rather than DIVE. Ask me how I know!

On 4s this plane is great flying bird.

Have fun!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Yes, remove the gear first.

Unless you're landing on gravel/rough surfaces I don't think you'll need tape of any kind on the belly.

This plane is EASY to belly land but becomes a big glider with the power off so give yourself plenty of time until you get the hang of it.

As far as the hand launch, get someone else to throw it the first time unless you've already flown/trimmed it.

The elevator is very effective on this plane so you don't need lots of throw.

ALSO--if you haven't flown/trimmed it yet, set the elev. to what appears to be neutral in relation to the stab, then give 6-8 clicks of "up elev" trim (back stick).

It's MUCH better for the plane to want to climb after the handlaunch if the elev. trim isn't perfect rather than DIVE. Ask me how I know!

On 4s this plane is great flying bird.

Have fun!
Thank you. I've read about the up elev trim and feel pretty confident hand launching larger planes (got a transmitter neck strap and am somewhat quick on the elev/ail.)

Calibrated the ESCs just now and this thing seems to have a LOT of power on 40c 3s, but you guys would know best as this is my first EDF...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
4s is the way to go in my opinion.

A 2650mah 4s all the way rearward in the bay balances/flys perfectly in mine.

Have a great maiden!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:42 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
4S is the way to go IF you have the black ESC's...if like me you have the yellow ones, you are limited to 3S.

But it does fly fine on 3S...a little under powered but fine. I use a 40C-3S-2650 and it flies great off of concrete runway and flies for about 4 minutes at 75-90% throttle.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Dec 2007
51 Posts
She's Close......

...a few more challenges away on this one before she flies. Great thread.....Thanks
Bobaroo is offline Find More Posts by Bobaroo
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:05 AM
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
If the elevator needs to be at approx 4mm or 6-8 clicks of trim up would it be possible to trim the entire Stabalizer up approx 4mm and set the trim neutral? I think I read this in a thread on the Nitroplanes A-10 but can't recall where I read it. I might just have to try this before transfering all of my gear into my new kit.

Bill D.
Bill Diedrich is offline Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:11 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
I don't think I'd go to the trouble Bill.

The up elev. trim is so small it's hardly noticable and the plane flys super.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich View Post
If the elevator needs to be at approx 4mm or 6-8 clicks of trim up would it be possible to trim the entire Stabalizer up approx 4mm and set the trim neutral? I think I read this in a thread on the Nitroplanes A-10 but can't recall where I read it. I might just have to try this before transfering all of my gear into my new kit.

Bill D.
YES!

That's the way I've been flying my A-10 for at least a year (maybe 2). It's about 4 mm up and set as neutral point. It's really the only way, IMHO. That way you have the most useable up elevator left for trimming.

That being said, I've never needed more up trim so leaving it "clicked up" would work.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:15 AM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Can anyone tell me whether the $50 kit version from NitroPlanes comes with the fans? The features include "twin 64mm electric ducted fans" and the requirements only list motors so it sounds like it would. But I wanted to check with someone who had bought one before. Anyone?
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:25 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,601 Posts
Yes, I just got mine and it came with the fans.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
794 Posts
Just Got a PNP for Christmas! this will be my first EDF. Due to my field it will be a belly lander. Looking forward to the build.
mustangloyd is online now Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangloyd View Post
Just Got a PNP for Christmas! this will be my first EDF. Due to my field it will be a belly lander. Looking forward to the build.
MUSTANGLOYD-I am pleased to inform you in this forum that the dynam a-10 is a very easy build and a perfect belly lander. good luck- sincerley Mr.K. Whitesell
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Hurricane