HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Poughkeepsie. My route to the
WRAM show usually took me right through Valahalla.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Calm winds ahead!!!!

It seems like things are gonna calm down a little with the winds over here!
It's gonna be time to put that bird in the skies and see how it will do it with "the correct CG" and the 50%-70% DR setting but unfortunately no EXPO.
Think I gotta get the best out of my skills to compensate this. Let's cross fingers!!!! Seems like it gonna be on thursday after work.
tydfidelis is offline Find More Posts by tydfidelis
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:22 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,116 Posts
Me fingers be crossed forya mate..!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Me fingers be crossed forya mate..!!
Thanks Cliff,
I'll be needing it .
Will let you know how it went.

Ben
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:47 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Good luck Ty!

As long as the battery is tied down and the CG is right...you will be in for a sweet ride.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Better Flying today! and landing also!! YES!!

Hi fellas,

Today I went to fly the a10 and it was much more better than the times before.
It was almost wind calm when I arrive at the flying spot at about 6:15 pm.
Put in the battery did a CG check, some last transmitter trimming and then put it on his track to the skies. It rolled over the unpaved road and took off in about 35 to 40 meters. I had the dualrate switch off so he had about 80% throw on elev and ails.(I was feeling kind off uncertain leaving it at 70% if for any reason I had to come out of a steep dive or something familiar) It climbed gentle in a low angle with very very little up elevator given. When it was at about 20 meters high I pull some more on the elevator and it climbed/bumped to fast up and the ailerons throw also seemed to cause too agressive manuevers so after that I switch on the dual rate to 50% and from that point things began to feel better. The flight was not as smooth as I imagine it would be but much more controled than the times before. I think it has also to do with me getting used a little bit to the plane and it's nature of flying. Noticed that the plane has the tendency of throwing his head down if I let the elevator stick in the middle even with full throttle, but it was way lesser than last time. So I had to keep the elevator stick slightly pulled up but nothing that was a really big issue. Think I'll have to put 4mm up elevator instead of 2mm that I now have. After full 4 minutes of half to full throttle I made a wide turn, tried to line it up as good as I could get it and aproached for landing. I cut throttle to about 1/4 and let it glide gently to the ground. It took more space to touch down that I had anticipated during landing. It landed smooth (even though it was on unpaved road!) and in one piece. I was/am very satisfied with the results and want to thank all you guys for giving all these advices on this thread. This is what makes this hobby/passion so special. Special thanks to Cliff, Russ and Xviper.
Btw a friend of mine filmed it for me. I will see to get that vid to post it so you guys can see how it was and to suggest ofcourse
Ben
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
2,116 Posts
Ben... My fingers ... Can I uncross them now? Sounds good.. Now to dial in your finesse points..!! Glad to read all was well.!! curious for sure to see the video... Would have made me nervous..!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:01 AM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Ben... My fingers ... Can I uncross them now? Sounds good.. Now to dial in your finesse points..!! Glad to read all was well.!! curious for sure to see the video... Would have made me nervous..!!
For sure Cliff,
you can uncross them now! From now upwards it will be adjusting it to get a smoother flight. Will look for the video to upload it.
Will see if the wind will grant me permission to fly today also. It's very strange to have these situations down here, there's a hurricane (Isaac) going through the northern Caribbean these days that is causing the winds to fall over here. It's the only time of the year that we can expect these winds over here, and ofcourse it's PERFECT FOR ME

Ben
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:07 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
WooHoo congrats Ben!

Yes, my elevator is set at 4mm up as default setting. I have all of my throw settings at 100% (especially elevator) but I do put in EXPO on my transmitter to smooth out the nervous fingers at about 40% aileron expo, 30% elevator expo, and 50% rudder(nose wheel steering) expo to keep ground handling smooth also.

Can't wait to see the video.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:32 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
WooHoo congrats Ben!

Yes, my elevator is set at 4mm up as default setting. I have all of my throw settings at 100% (especially elevator) but I do put in EXPO on my transmitter to smooth out the nervous fingers at about 40% aileron expo, 30% elevator expo, and 50% rudder(nose wheel steering) expo to keep ground handling smooth also.

Can't wait to see the video.

Russ
Thanks Russ!!
Yes I'm definitely going to set my elevator at 4mm. think again expo would had helped me a lot controlling this bird but for the time being I'll have to live with what I got. You will take notice in the video that the flight was not so stable, but for me it was like reaching my first milestone since I did not feel I had so much control on the plane the last times I flew it like it was this time. And to land it without not even bending the nose wheel on unpaved road even though it seems in the video that it was not that smooth (maybe cause it was a little far away from the point of filming and the video quality is also not so best). But it was the best landing I ever had with this plane and I'm very happy
I'm uploading the video to youtube and will be uploading it afterwards to this thread.

Ben
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Plane and Battery strap

Here are some pics of the plane and the battery/batterystrap and the position of the battery before yesterday's flight.
The plane has been through some minor crashes, one which the nose cannon and part of the nose squeezed away (yes during landing it came in with the wrong angle to the paved run way). Actually The fuselage is new(about 4months) and all the other parts where from a former plane I had before about one year ago that I crashed during a motor failure and had to wait 9months for nitroplanes to resend me a new fuselage. That's why some epoxy here and there.

Video is coming soon.

Ben
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
A10 Flight and landing Video

Here's the video of yesterdays flight.

I've found a perfect open space(for the time being) were they will be building a mall in the near future but construction did not begin yet so I found a better use for it.

Here's the youtube link
Video quality is not that best, but it can pass.

Any suggestions please????

Ben

Dynam A10 Warthog flying at Curacao (4 min 19 sec)
Last edited by tydfidelis; Aug 24, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
2,116 Posts
Ben... Its tough to tell with out being on the sticks... However... At the end there it seemed a little pitchy which could also relate to being a bit nose heavy... Not always lack of expo etc.. Seemingly your 2700mah bat might be the culprit.. Try a 2200 in the same location.. If you have one.. Or move the battery back a smidge..!! Often an overcontrol is the reaction to trying to keep the nose up..!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Ben... Its tough to tell with out being on the sticks... However... At the end there it seemed a little pitchy which could also relate to being a bit nose heavy... Not always lack of expo etc.. Seemingly your 2700mah bat might be the culprit.. Try a 2200 in the same location.. If you have one.. Or move the battery back a smidge..!! Often an overcontrol is the reaction to trying to keep the nose up..!
Cliff,
you might be right, the pitchy issue is related to the nose heavy attitude it had which I had to compensate with some up elevator. I will try next time to put the battery a little bit further in and also remember I did not have the recommended 4mm adjustment on my elevator. I had a 2200mah battery but it had puffed/damaged and so I do not trust it anymore. I think with these two adjustments I will be closer to have a sweeter flight and landing.
I planned to go today to try this out but out of a sudden the weather changed and the wind picked up drastically ending my illusion of getting airborne
Guess I'll have to wait again for a favorable occasion .
Thanks for your input Cliff!

Ben
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
2,116 Posts
I learned that on two planes.. the pitchy thing... A Corsair and a Sea Fury... When reducing nose weight the pitchy -ness seemed to mostly dissolve .... And I try only to give input when asked and try not to be a "know it all" for I am probably always gonna learn somethin' ....!!! And hopefully retain it..!!
RCG Plus Member