Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:12 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Crash Hardened

Maybe a better name would be crash hardened or crash resistant. I know it's just marketing words but I always have a problem when something is "proofed".
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,274 Posts
It's just a name, nothing more. It's no different than calling a knife "ever sharp" or putting an emblem on a minivan that says "Sport" or "bulletproof" or "sunblock". Do you really think a knife is sharp all the time? Or a minivan can actually be a "sportscar"? Do you really think anything can be completely bulletproof? You don't actually think that sunblock really blocks out all the sun, do you? Do you really believe that if you "chipguard" your car, it's never going get any rock chips? Some consumers can be pretty stupid but really, do you really believe that RC flyers are that stupid?
The seller or marketer can put whatever label he wants on his product. He's not saying that his planes are "crashproof". All he's saying is that's what he calls his product.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2009
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
He was flying it on 4S and pulled a too much elevator. The wing snapped. Wing was stock.
I got pics from him. He can't find the other wing that fell off during the break.
This looks repairable. You'll have to use a bit of epoxy and carbon rods, but it should fly again. Was he using 4S on the stock motors with new ESCs, or new motors AND ESCs?
AirChime is offline Find More Posts by AirChime
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
Xviper,

I understand that marketing stuff...I just don't want newbies to get the wrong idea.
The stuff they do with the planes to make them stronger is nothing but good if you go with more power than stock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:35 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
Airchime,
He could not find the rightr wing in the grass. It seperated mid air and floated off further away from the runway.
I'll ask him if he saved the rest of it.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,969 Posts
Freebie..!!!

Got this A10 in multiple pieces from a co worker who refuses to get a programmable radio.. !! (He said every flight {2} was "too squirrelly".) I Put it together with a little patience and about 20 bucks of product... Had fun and was apprehensive reading the threads since I never had flown a EDF before.. Well, get this... In my ridiculous haste of wanting to maiden it, since the winds were calm, after shooting these 'after' pictures, before anybody came .... I throttled her "down the runway"..!! Up she went..!! Very scale like and steady.. (BTW, guessed at all throws and expos) Now to manuever around an approaching mountain in front of me, ..... OOOPS!!! It went the wrong way..!!! I didn't check my directions of the ailerons..!!! Name: Wart 001.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 256.9 KB
Description: Name: Wart 002.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 124.9 KB
Description:

Name: Wart 023.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 197.8 KB
Description: Name: Wart 008.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 194.8 KB
Description: Name: Wart 012.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 301.8 KB
Description: Well, I had to think logically like Spock, no panicing... THINK.. Get her dowwn..!!! Ahh.. A different, intimidating, supposedly squirrelly plane on a maiden with reversed ailerons and no rudder..!! This story is to convey the amazement of the ease of flight I had with this A10 in an unatural set of circumstances.. I got lucky in one aspect of not crashing into anything on the ground, destroying absolutely nothing except for pulling out the nose gear out from its perch..!! It was slow enough for me to react to inputs that were not automatic... Brain delay! I am so looking forward to getting it up correctly with complete control and showing my "doner" what a radio can do.. !!! A10 was not twitchy, squirrelly or out or balance and void of any horror.. !!! Thankfully.. If it was it would have been UGly!! Thanks for reading Cliff..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:46 AM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Hey Cliff,

"OOOPS!!! It went the wrong way..!!! I didn't check my directions of the ailerons..!!!"

Been there; done that !!!

First time many years ago when RC TXs didn't have multi-model memory so had to fly more than one with same TX. I was flying my H-L Telemaster-40 that luckily turned almost as well with rudder as ailerons ........... got her down...no damage

Second time not too long ago ...... no excuse this time but, many years of experience allowed a safe, although puckered, landing.

Isn't RC fun

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,969 Posts
Yessir, Got in a rush... Guess thats why real pilots have checklists..!! I am tickled that I got her down without disorientation and is a confidence builder, but that lack of non checking is a disappointment to ones self.. But its fun.. Yes..!! I'll take it..!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Got this A10 in multiple pieces from a co worker who refuses to get a programmable radio.. !! :confused..
Hi Cliff,
I've been reading this thread for a while now and have taken some advices in consideration. I do have the same problem your doner had with his A10. I fly it with a cheap programmable Fly-Sky CTB6 radio which only has dual rate. The plane behave like nose heavy when I let the elevator stick in the middle at about 70% throttle and reacts like tail heavy with 100% throttle. This plane is very difficult to have a stable flight with, and let's just not talk about a decent landing!
What radio you're flying with and what do you or any body else think could be the problem ( or solution for this plane). Just to mention I've checked the CG and it's dead at 75mm from the wing LE. I'm flying it with a 3s 25c 2700mah battery with velco strips on it to hold it in place. I have also added the 3mm up elevator to compensate the down thrust as I've read on this thread.
Thanks for any solution. Ben.
tydfidelis is offline Find More Posts by tydfidelis
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydfidelis View Post
Hi Cliff,
Just to mention I've checked the CG and it's dead at 75mm from the wing LE.
Thanks for any solution. Ben.
Are you measuring CG with plane upside down?
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Yes Jer291113,

I've done it and it seems to be OK. I cannot understand what is going wrong here?! I don't know if it has something to do with my elevator? I didn't reinforced it with carbon fiber rods yet but I'm thinking in doing it but on the other side I've seen people on this thread that have flown it well without that modification. Any suggestions?
Ben.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,603 Posts
I have 3S-2700 battery and I have to have it as far aft as I can get it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
Netherlands Antilles
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Hi Russ,
I've been reading a lot of your posts on this thread and want to thank you for all recommendations you shared to all the people like me reading this.
I put the battery at the beginning 9th rib beginning from the nose. Do you think I should have to push it further in?
Ben.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,969 Posts
Ben... Cg issues aren't so much related to the programmable issue with my guy (doner) who flys the same rates be it a Cub or a jet.. They just will not have the same handlability and cannot be blamed on the plane..! (but I win when he goes in!)... I went with a feel for CG and flew with a 2200mah 20c bat half way back for first go around.. Noticed the downthrust on full throttle which I guess I didn't read and adjusted my flying by the "seat of my pants".. Did balance slightly tailheavy and will try to remember to find the exact measurements.. But a good radio with expo and travel adjustments is prime for a more controlled flight model to model.. Cliff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,274 Posts
Where you put your particular battery is pretty irrelevant. It all depends on where it needs to be to balance it as per the manual. Whether you should put it further back or not so further back is not something that can be answered since your battery may not weight the same as anybody else's. It doesn't even matter if you've got re-enforcement here or there or anywhere. This plane flies just fine completely stock as long as it's balanced where it says to balance it. It's not even very sensitive to exactly where you have the CG. It can be off by a few mm and it won't matter. A few clicks of trim will easily compensate for it and it will fly well.
Measure from where they tell you to where it should be and make a mark with a permanent black marker. It doesn't even matter if you have it upside down or right side up. Balance it whatever way you like. At the flying field, after I get everything ready to go. I put one finger of each hand under that mark and lift it up. If it's pretty close to being balanced, I fly.
If it's too touchy, I don't have enough expo. Dial it up a bit. Lower the rates. You've got dual rates on a switch. Some even has triple position switches so you can dial in 3 different expos and rates. You don't even have to land to change it.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper